• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Big commitment to local rugby from the new WF squad.
Is there any other professional rugby team in Australia showing this level of commitment to Club rugby????

FORCE PLAYERS ALIGNED WITH LOCAL CLUBS

Western Force players will reinforce their ties with the state’s strong rugby community and help to grow the game at a grassroots level through a club allocation program unveiled today.
The players in the 2018 Western Force squad have been evenly distributed across the 13 premiership clubs in WA with a host of players maintaining long-standing links to clubs they have been a part of for years.
RugbyWA CEO Bob Hunter said the player allocation would foster junior rugby, support club teams at all levels and ensure the Western Force players maintained strong connections with the community.
“We are confident this linkage will add to the culture of the clubs and have a valuable, positive impact,” Hunter said.
“Whether it is through coaching, playing or mentoring others, the time the Force players will spend within these clubs will help to underpin and grow the game of rugby in Western Australia.”
The Force players will act primarily as rugby ambassadors but will also assist in specific coaching, mentoring or skills development sessions with senior grades, junior teams and individual players, and occasionally play with the clubs.
The club engagement will contribute to the 350 hours of community engagement per year that all Western Force players have committed to.
Western Force Head of Elite Performance Matt Hodgson said the linkage would have a positive impact on the players and the clubs.
“During my time as captain of the Western Force, I developed a real appreciation for the importance of club rugby in Western Australia,” Hodgson said.
“It’s here that young talent develops and the passion for the game is at its strongest. Making sure the Force players stay close to that passion, and give something back, is crucial to the ultimate success of rugby in WA.”
While the players have been directly aligned to Premier Grade clubs, any junior and Community Grade club can access the players through RugbyWA and make requests to seek support and engagement from the Force stars.
Some of the exciting new player-club matches include the Orr brothers, Harrison and Cameron, who will join ARKs, former Wallaby Rod Davies will head to Wanneroo, Springboks Veteran Jacque Fourie will link up with Southern Lions in a coaching and ambassador capacity while Fijian gold medallist Masivesi Dakuwaqa joins Kalamunda.
Maintaining old ties, Brad Lacey and Aj Alatimu will continue to run out for Wests Scarborough, 2017 Nedlands captain Tevin Ferris remains at the Foreshore, UWA 2014 premiership winning forwards Harry Scoble and Chris Alcock are back for the Students while Rockingham product Kieran Longbottom returns home to join the newly amalgamated Coastal Cavaliers.

See the full list of Western Force player club allocations below:

Cam Orr ARKS
Harrison Orr ARKS
Elliot Turner ARKS
Rod Davies Wanneroo
Andrew Deegan Wanneroo
Leon Power Wanneroo
Fergus Lee Warner Southern Lions
George Pisi Southern Lions
Jaque Fourie Southern Lions
TBA Perth Bayswater
Harry Lloyd Perth Bayswater
Johan Bardoul Perth Bayswater
Kieran Longbottom Coastal Cavaliers
TBA Coastal Cavaliers
TBA Coastal Cavaliers
Chris Alcock UWA
Harry Scoble UWA
Brynard Stander Joondalup Brothers
Clay Uyen Joondalup Brothers
Masivesi Dakuwaqa Kalamunda
TBA Kalamunda
Tevin Ferris Nedlands
Tom Sheminant Nedlands
Heath Tessmann Nedlands
Chris Heiberg Palmyra
Josh Furno Palmyra
Ian Prior Associates
Rodney Iona Associates
Marcel Brache Cottesloe
Peter Grant Cottesloe
Ryan Louwrens Cottesloe
Feleti Kaitu’u Wests Scarborough
Aj Alatimu Wests Scarborough
Brad Lacey Wests Scarborough

It would certainly take a special kind of arrogance to think your club is the only one daring to step outside the training track. The answer to your question is most certainly yes.

This has been happening for years.

https://melbournerebels.com/2018/02/08/rebels-extend-community-ambassador-program/

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
It would certainly take a special kind of arrogance to think your club is the only one daring to step outside the training track. The answer to your question is most certainly yes.

This has been happening for years.

https://melbournerebels.com/2018/02/08/rebels-extend-community-ambassador-program/

Thanks Daz

Appreciate the answer to my question.
Any idea of what time commitment this involves for the Rebels players?

So pleased that you're so interested in what's happening in WA.

D

daz

Thanks Daz

I’m from WA. My parents are in WA. My son played rugby in WA. Even though I do not consider myself a Sandgroper any more, of course I’m interested in WA.

I’m also aware of the deep and abiding distrust of anyone not from WA.

As far as I know, each of the Rebels players are required to do at least 1 day per week visiting schools. If not in the Rebels match day squad, they play for their club, or at least attend if injured each weekend.

They attend sponsor events, membership events, education events, etc etc. probably same as the Force boys.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks Daz

to be fair Force players have more time on their hands. They may well be training as hard as the Super Rugby clubs but they don't have the travel requirements (especially that of the Reds) nor do they have weekend commitments.

I'd bloody well hope they are helping out at clubs, the way I am sure non-playing Reds, Tah, Brumby and Rebel players will. I know QLD Premier Rugby starts this weekend and I expect to see non-playing Reds such as Lachie Maranta, QUade Cooper, Moses Sorovi, Angus Blythe etc turning out for their club (injury permitting).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For Christ's sake. The Force players are digging in, and somehow this is a negative because the eastern states would too?

Reg, you mention Quade. Do you honestly think he would be treated the same if he was a Force player compared to being in Qld? Right now? And that's just the start, we can start trotting out names but the key is Reds NOT, repeat NOT doing well by the Reds fans stars. And the Force doing exactly the opposite, not just treating their stars with respect, but they are willingly used to promote the game. (Pretty sure you'll find that Quade would too, if he was given a half chance. Quarter. Tenth. Millionth.) And promoting new stars.

I don't get why you would be upset by these announcements.

I get being "ah well, they're doing the best they can." But maybe let's just back off a bit, on Australia's most fucked over franchise. Right now the QRU as an organisation has an awefull lot to learn. As actually does the Force.

As for the Force - I reckon they are working it out.

D

daz

For Christ's sake. The Force players are digging in, and somehow this is a negative because the eastern states would too?

Reg, you mention Quade. Do you honestly think he would be treated the same if he was a Force player compared to being in Qld? Right now? And that's just the start, we can start trotting out names but the key is Reds NOT, repeat NOT doing well by the Reds fans stars. And the Force doing exactly the opposite, not just treating their stars with respect, but they are willingly used to promote the game. (Pretty sure you'll find that Quade would too, if he was given a half chance. Quarter. Tenth. Millionth.) And promoting new stars.

I get being "ah well, they're doing the best they can." But maybe let's just back off a bit, on Australia's most fucked over franchise. Right now the QRU as an organisation has an awefull lot to learn. As actually does the Force.

I’m not speaking on behalf of Reg, but what in his post made you think he was hyper-critical or pissed about the conversation? I thought he was pointing out the expectation of any supporter, that a non-match day Super Rugby player should be at his assigned club.

And as for Quade, I’ve never been his biggest fan, but by Christ, if there is a footy player from any code in Australia who is more determined to sign an autograph or pose for a picture for every kid in the stadium post-game than Quade Cooper, I’ve yet to hear of him.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
The Force players have 7 games in June-August. Makes sense that they are gonna play at local level.

Disappointed Brothers only got 2 players. Excited to have Uyen though, very good at that level.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I think that response is a fairly significant overreaction to my post, but to each their own.

I never said it was a negative. Just that it was positioned as if the Force are doing something ground breaking. I don't think they are doing anything out of the norm and anything other clubs don't do.

I don't see how the Reds aren't treating their players with respect. There is clearly the QC (Quade Cooper) thing but I honestly don't think we know a 10th of what is the real reason behind it all so we probably can't say with 100% certainty that he isn't getting what he deserves.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

No, it was implied that this was some groundbreaking decision by the Force despite every Australian team having already been doing this for a long time........

The only difference being the Force players will likely have more time to play for their clubs.

D

daz

There is clearly the QC (Quade Cooper) thing but I honestly don't think we know a 10th of what is the real reason behind it all so we probably can't say with 100% certainty that he isn't getting what he deserves.

Amazing how certain people are about things that they could not possible have all the facts about.

Thank goodness for the internet. Plugging fact gaps since 1990.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some of you G&Grs work with a very short fuse and are happy to go off on a tangent..

I posted an announcement from the Western Force for information.

My opening comments were:
Is there any other professional rugby team in Australia showing this level of commitment to Club rugby????

This was a genuine query as I was interested to know how this compared to what other teams were doing in this space.

I immediately draw a comment of: It would certainly take a special kind of arrogance to think your club is the only one daring to step outside the training track.

Where did I say, or even imply, that the Force was the only club doing this? That was why I asked the question!

The next comment was: Just that it was positioned as if the Force are doing something ground breaking. I don't think they are doing anything out of the norm and anything other clubs don't do.

Where did I imply that it was something ground breaking?

Happy to get the feedback.

Don't need the BS that comes with it!

Have a good life chaps.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Gotta agree with you Force fan when the questions get asked about the Mexicans sponsorship woes the outrage is pretty obvious. When certain people post some stuff about Twiggy or the WSR that he's trying to set up the snipes then start to come out as well from certain regulars on GAGR. Please guys i'm pretty sure we're all here to see the game grow give up the fucken sniping ,evidence proving remarks. It's downright over rated!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Some of you G&Grs work with a very short fuse and are happy to go off on a tangent..

This was a genuine query as I was interested to know how this compared to what other teams were doing in this space.

I immediately draw a comment of: It would certainly take a special kind of arrogance to think your club is the only one daring to step outside the training track.

Where did I say, or even imply, that the Force was the only club doing this? That was why I asked the question!

The next comment was: Just that it was positioned as if the Force are doing something ground breaking. I don't think they are doing anything out of the norm and anything other clubs don't do.

Have a good life chaps.
Well answer your question the Brumbies assign all there players clubs and from what I know spend alot of time helping out

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well I can provide some anecdotal evidence for Vic Rugby if that helps. I finished up my schooling in Melbourne and had fairly regular visits from Rebels players at both my school and club. Definitely not every week but frequent enough that some of them got to know us by name. As a young lock having Hugh Pyle coach you occasionally was pretty inspiring.

I also noticed that some ‘classic Wallabies’ dropped in on Fountain Gate Secondary last week, it’s pleasing to hear that they’re venturing beyond the private school bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

No, it was implied that this was some groundbreaking decision by the Force despite every Australian team having already been doing this for a long time....

Was it implied? I thought it was a genuine question, albeit an excited one which was met with some rather patronising remarks

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Have a good life chaps.

FF (Folau Fainga'a), it might have been the close association of both comments, but I have to say that I read your post also as being an implied criticism of other Super Rugby teams. Hopefully, it is now all sorted.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
In all honesty it did come across (and i am convinced) it was an attempt at grandstanding and one-up-manship. Which is pretty crappy character.

But on saying that i do agree some people are to willing to critique and criticize everything now, almost a little precious.

It's getting to the stage where we the fans are starting to become more toxic than the actually organisations (just think about that).

Forums should be a place of fair and balanced critique away from attempted rhetoric to justify ones arguments. The rugby community is becoming very poisonous, so much so that when something is done well it is no longer acknowledged, instead someone finds a way to turn it into a negative (this is a mindset). Yes there was and still is numerous/multiple wrongs in the game (e.g how did we get to a stage where there is no team in WA), fair enough go about and talk about these issues but also when something is done right lets praise this as well. Lets just not be a shithead about everything and anything, it's contagious and i dare say the vigor in which some people talk about things here and the way they have chosen to immerse themselves in it, it must also be impacting on the way they view non-rugby related issues as well.

This goes for all teams fans, stop trying to rain on everyone's parade (let's support the IPRC, let's be happy the Aus teams are undefeated against int opposition at home this season, let's back Cheika, stop being a broken record about issues you have no idea about or no understanding of the inner workings just for the sake of bite/reaction from other you know don't have the answer, etc.)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like your post R3, but to be honest I have felt so letdown by Cheika and his player selections on so many occasions that I fear I am too far gone to now back him.

This year offers the national coaches a very good opportunity to beef up the Wallabies and put to rest for all time one or two perennial underachievers. It is not too late for RWC 2019, in fact would be most auspicious to make some changes now. I will refrain from offering support until I see they are worthy of it.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
In all honesty it did come across (and i am convinced) it was an attempt at grandstanding and one-up-manship. Which is pretty crappy character.

But on saying that i do agree some people are to willing to critique and criticize everything now, almost a little precious.

It's getting to the stage where we the fans are starting to become more toxic than the actually organisations (just think about that).

Forums should be a place of fair and balanced critique away from attempted rhetoric to justify ones arguments. The rugby community is becoming very poisonous, so much so that when something is done well it is no longer acknowledged, instead someone finds a way to turn it into a negative (this is a mindset). Yes there was and still is numerous/multiple wrongs in the game (e.g how did we get to a stage where there is no team in WA), fair enough go about and talk about these issues but also when something is done right lets praise this as well. Lets just not be a shithead about everything and anything, it's contagious and i dare say the vigor in which some people talk about things here and the way they have chosen to immerse themselves in it, it must also be impacting on the way they view non-rugby related issues as well.

This goes for all teams fans, stop trying to rain on everyone's parade (let's support the IPRC, let's be happy the Aus teams are undefeated against int opposition at home this season, let's back Cheika, stop being a broken record about issues you have no idea about or no understanding of the inner workings just for the sake of bite/reaction from other you know don't have the answer, etc.)

Nice words Rebel3 but unfortunately they don't apply to myself or the dozens of rugby people I know well over here.
Whether the wallabies win or not doesn't bother us at all, we simply don't care anymore.
We cannot morally support an organisation, or their team, that doesn't represent us and certainly doesn't support or include us.

Status
Not open for further replies.