• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think we're seeing the input from Nick Marvin in the level of advertising.

I don't think that we should read too much into the current Western Force squad as this is just an interim year.

The squad is quite a good one but Hodgson has only been recruiting since 11 January.
He's done a pretty good job in the time that he's had - particularly if one considers that for the 1st month he didn't have any confirmed fixture or coaches.

The earlier announcements were that the WSR/IPRC teams would include 2 x Marque players and "a number" of International players.

I see no reason as to why anyone can conclude that WSR will be at a lower standard to Super Rugby as at this stage we don't even know the other teams.

In any event, what other provincial team (such as the Western Force) gets to play against national teams (Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Hong Kong)? Add to that Crusaders, Rebels and a team from Japan (Top League team - I assume).

I'm happy to make a call about what level WSR will be at once I see the calibre of the teams.
Fair enough but if rugby standard below super rugby but competitive it can still succeed. As my concern would be very good force side thrashing not so good other World Series teams in 2019 would not be good. So that maybe it makes more sense to have the squad of this standard given standards of other teams they may compete against. At least in early stages of the competition. But yes interim year so maybe too early to read into that this squad will not improve in quality for 2019. But again my point is it may not make sense to do that for at least first year of the competition and other teams involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
...my concern would be very good force side thrashing not so good other World Series teams in 2019 would not be good...

I have similar concerns, I hope that Twiggy realises this and doesn't make the team too top-heavy with talent compared to the rest of the comp. I'm concerned that there may be calls for the team to be strong in comparison with Super Rugby or the top Euro clubs, I hope those calls are ignored.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have similar concerns, I hope that Twiggy realises this and doesn't make the team too top-heavy with talent compared to the rest of the comp. I'm concerned that there may be calls for the team to be strong in comparison with Super Rugby or the top Euro clubs, I hope those calls are ignored.

Yeh that is my point - Force squad wise does not need to be Super Rugby strength given teams they will be playing...in order to be successful...and if anything if I see quality of squad selected it seems to understand these risks....and this is from someone that needs to be noted is supportive of what Twiggy Rugby trying to do and benefits offers to Oz rugby...ie I want it to succeed......

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Every team has to be able to win on their day. Cricket scores should be few and far between. This is why Super Rugby is dying. New Zealand have no interest in expanding while South Africa and Australia are arguably getting weaker. The competition is just not really competitive anymore.

We need:
- The NRC to incorporate Asian rugby.
- Super Rugby to become a European Cup (Two tier championship comp)
- Super Rugby's two tiers to incorporate teams from Asia Pacific (with same pool format as Europeans). No South Africa.
- Teams along NZ provincial and NRC lines (obviously with others added).
- If NZ aren't interested, cut them loose. They need us far more than we need them.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Door Open for Youth
Nick Taylor - PerthNow.com.au - 1 April 2018

Western Force coach Tim Sampson is confident the reborn club will create a new pathway for young, local talent.
A dozen aspiring players were left stranded when Rugby Australia slammed the doors shut on the club and its Future Force academy last September but Sampson believes World Series Rugby will open them again.
Sampson has begun preparing his squad for the seven-game WSR tournament against international sides Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and Hong Kong, Super Rugby sides Crusaders and Rebels, and a Japanese club yet to be announced.
Thirty players have already been contracted with about three more expected to join within weeks.
Sampson may not have all players available for the first game against Fiji on May 4, as a couple still will be with their English clubs in the Aviva premiership.
But he is confident he has enough strength in his squad to face one of the world’s most exciting teams.
“I’m very happy with what we’ve got,” Sampson said.
“There’s a really good spread of young guys, experienced guys and local players, which is really important when you are starting a new club.”
He has also started plotting a path for Future Force academy members who may be introduced during WSR and are likely to get more game time in the National Rugby Championship.
“I’ll sit down and meet the guys and the staff but I’ve already got an indication of some players, “ he said. “There looks to be some great prospects”.
“It’s important to have them in training and get them to know the squad and understand what it takes to take the next step.”
Sampson has plenty of experience in his coaching team in former Springbok centre Jaque Fourie, who will also play in WSR, and ex-Super Rugby second-rower and Wallabies squad member Van Humphries, who has spent the past two weeks with the squad.
“The big bonus is having someone who has played in another country and who could bring something really unique to what we do,”
“South Africans are known for their physicality and big Van played with a lot of physicality in the contact areas.”

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks George. Welcome to Western Australia and the Western Force.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wester...gh-hopes-for-world-series-rugby-ng-b88798457z

Samoan international George Pisi’s high hopes for World Series Rugby
Nick Taylor The West Australian Saturday, 7 April 2018

New Western Force centre George Pisi has been on a well-travelled rugby road - from Super Rugby’s Blues to English heavyweights Northampton with a couple of stops at Kiwi clubs North Harbour and Taranaki and French side Clermont along the way.
With that experience he is best-placed to judge just what the new World Series Rugby tournament will bring to the game and when the Force kick off their seven-match series against Fiji on Friday May 4 Pisi believes it will give the southern hemisphere a wake-up call.
“Everybody is so used to watching Super Rugby. This competition is a blessing in disguise. Who knows where they can take this competition,” the 21-Test capped Samoan international said.
“Rugby needs this kind of competition to grow the game. We can also prove that the Force is back.
Samoan international George Pisi says his focus will be on proving to fans that Western Force are back.
“Everyone should be excited. There will be different players, a different style of rugby. If people are excited there will be bums on seats and that’s what you want.”
Pisi believes the new Force brand of rugby will put those bums on seats.
“This new Western Force will bring physicality and excitement. Everyone in this mix is going to bring something different to the table,” he said.
“We are going to have a good set piece but we are going to express ourselves. We will bring a physicality to the game, we want teams to feel that we are here.
“We will stand up to guys but we will also try and run them off their feet.”
Pisi was part of rugby history in 2015 when, with brothers Tusi and Ken, they became the first three brothers ever to play together in a World Cup match. He also played for the New Zealand under-19 and under-21 sides.
“We will put pressure on ourselves to perform well, especially against the international sides,” he said.
“It’s exciting, that’s the word for us. It’s a great opportunity.
“The focus is on us and proving to people that the Western Force is back. We can go out there and express ourselves and enjoy it.”

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not long until first WSR game against Fiji and still no sign of any TV broadcast deals being done. Would be commercial disaster to not have got TV coverage for the game sorted given what Twiggy will be paying for the match to occur etc.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Not long until first WSR game against Fiji and still no sign of any TV broadcast deals being done. Would be commercial disaster to not have got TV coverage for the game sorted given what Twiggy will be paying for the match to occur etc.

In Twiggy's world there is plenty of time. It's not like the Rebels sponsor or RA planning.
If he wanted to he could, I assume, just live stream it on youtube until he has his better plan in place.
If nothing else I'm sure Kerry Stokes is available to help now or medium term.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I would rather there was a replay shown on Perth TV, than a live broadcast. What I would like to see on Perth TV, is more advertising for the fixtures

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Excellent news........Western Force in good company.
Thanks Minderoo.

Western Force keen on more World Club 10s silverware
Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Wednesday, 11 April 2018
Western Force will play in this season’s World Club 10s tournament in Mauritius for the third year running.
The newly-resurrected Force will join sides like South Africa’s Bulls and Sharks, English heavyweight Newcastle Falcons, Dan Carter’s Japanese club Kobelco Steelers and French side Montpelier in the June competition.
The Force took out the title two years ago, beating the Brumbies in the final and finished fourth in last year’s event.
Force head of elite performance Matt Hodgson said the tournament was ideally placed between the games against Super Rugby sides Rebels and Crusaders.
“This is a new era for the Western Force and playing against some of the best teams in the world is exactly what we need,” Hodgson said.
“The organisers heard we were back, a professional side representing WA, and they invited us back.
“It is a chance to play against high class players in some high class teams.
“We’ve had some great success in the tournament.
“We have blooded players and given opportunities to Future Force academy and local players who have gone on to play professional rugby for the Force and around Australia.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wester...-more-world-club-10s-silverware-ng-b88803736z

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well done GaffaC.
"Be the Force that shakes the tree....."
Western Australia v The Rest.
On top of the growing Membership list - for the 1st game:
+Free Family Pass (@ Adults/2 Children or 1 Adult/3 Children) for every Registered Junior Rugby player in WA.
+$10 General Entry tickets.
GO THE FORCE!!

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks Fortescue Metals Group

Fortescue-RugbyWA Partnership Forged in Loyalty

Fortescue Metals Group (Fortescue) has increased its longstanding support of rugby union in Western Australia by becoming Naming Rights Partner of the RugbyWA senior rugby competition for the next three seasons.
Fortescue Senior Rugby will include all senior men’s grades including the top-flight Fortescue Premier Grade and the Alcohol.Think Again Women’s Premier Grade competition.
The sponsorship is a huge boost to rugby in Western Australia and strengthens the code at a time when RugbyWA has embarked on a new era with a revamped local structure designed to benefit both clubs and players.
RugbyWA CEO Bob Hunter said it is incredible for senior rugby to have the backing of such a prominent and proud Western Australian company for the next three years.
“This partnership is a fantastic one for rugby in Western Australia and matches the new competition format for senior club rugby,” he said.
“Our game will benefit greatly from the support of Fortescue, an iconic West Australian company that is known for challenging the norms, and excellence in performance.
Fortescue has a longstanding association with rugby in Western Australia, including the sponsorship of the famous Western Force No. 7 jersey worn by club legend Matt Hodgson for the last four years.
CEO Elizabeth Gaines said Fortescue was pleased to increase its support of the community rugby program to naming rights level, in line with the company’s commitment to ensure communities benefit from its growth and development.
“Through this sponsorship, we are not only helping to build a talent pool of players for the Western Force but also supporting the efforts of community volunteers and sportspeople who contribute to the strength, resilience and diversity of our communities through sport,” Ms Gaines said.
The Fortescue Premier Grade will continue to provide a pathway to the Western Force. Since 2006, 30 players have progressed from the top local competition to play for the Force, accounting for close to 20% of players that have worn the blue jersey.
Fortescue Senior Rugby continues this weekend with Fortescue Premier Grade, Reserve Grade, Third Grade, and Community Grade all in action.
https://www.rugbywa.asn.au/news/fortescue-rugbywa-partnership-forged-in-loyalty/

https://www.facebook.com/RugbyWACommunity/videos/1034985233345095/?t=18

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Force international series given stamp of approval
Nick Taylor The West Australian 14 April 2018

Rugby’s controlling body has given the go-ahead for Western Force international matches in the new World Series Rugby tournament.
The move comes three weeks ahead of the Force’s first game at nib Stadium against the Fiji Warriors.
The seven-game series will also feature international sides Tonga, Samoa and Hong Kong, Super Rugby clubs Rebels and Crusaders and a Japanese team.
WSR is backed by mining magnate Andrew Forrest, who vowed to resurrect the Force after they were axed from Super Rugby by Rugby Australia last year.
Meanwhile, the Force have recruited big names from politics and sport to ramp up their profile.
The club’s new advertising campaign includes rallying calls from Forrest, new WA Governor Kim Beazley, Justin Langer, Matthew Pavlich, John Worsfold, Dennis Cometti and former Force captain Matt Hodgson.
Forrest said WSR would change the face of rugby.
“This is bigger than rugby. We are re-inventing the sport and showing people what WA is capable of on a world stage,” he said. “We have our own sporting grit which runs deep in our blood. The Western Force is a symbol of state pride.”
Hodgson said emotion and pride had been discarded by Rugby Australia when the Force was axed.
“We want to show what we are capable of and what rugby means to the people of WA,” Hodgson said.
“Rugby has stood still for too long. It’s exciting to see WA take the initiative to show the world what rugby can look like.”
Tickets are on sale from $10 or $30 for families and Force chief executive Nick Marvin said the club was determined to make matches and game-day entertainment affordable to families.
“Making World Series Rugby affordable to everyone, especially families, is very important to us,” Marvin said.
“It’s not just the hardcore rugby fans that will like what we have to offer, it’s for every fan of elite level sport and proud West Australians alike.”

Status
Not open for further replies.