• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Western Force really didn't have a chance!

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/we.-ng-b88806001z
RA aid saved Rebels
The Sunday Times - Perth - 15 Apr 2018 - NICK TAYLOR
RUGBY Australia money helped clear the debt that saved the Melbourne Rebels and effectively signed the Western Force’s Super Rugby death warrant.
The revelation comes after this week’s RA announcement of a $3.8m loss for 2017, citing the messy axing of the Force as one of the factors.​
Confidential documents obtained by The Sunday Times show the Australian Rugby Union — now RA — agreed to pay former Rebels owner, New Zealand businessman Andrew Cox, $300,000 and then-director Peter Sidwell $200,000.​
The money was then paid to the Rebels.​
The payments, contained in a Deed of Settlement Release, relate to “disputes” with the Rebels over RA’s threats to axe the Rebels and directs the money to the Melbournebased club.​
The documents also state two other directors Lyndsey Cattermole and Bob Dalziel “gift” the Rebels $250,000 each. The combined amounts effectively cleared the Rebels debt of $789,811 that allowed Cox to sell the club to the Victorian Rugby Union for $1 under a Put Option agreement, effectively spelling the end of the Force as the Rebels could then not be closed.​
The document says, among others, Cox and Sidwell “had suffered loss and damage as a result of statements alleged to have been made by or on behalf of the ARU on and from 10 April 2017”.​
On April 10, RA chairman Cameron Clyne said a decision on which team would be cut would be made after consultation with the Force and rebels.​
Four days later the Rebels issued a statement saying they “unequivocally” rejected that RA could “chop or cut” the club and had notified it of its intention to seek compensation.​
The deed of settlement says Cox and Sidwell: “. respectively direct that the respective payments to them be paid to MRRUPL for the purposes of MRRUPL satisfying the Debt Free Requirement and MRRUPL agrees that these payments will be used solely for this purpose”.​
It also says Cattermole and Dalziel promise to the ARU “. they have each gifted $250,000 to MRRUPL for the purpose of MRRUPL satisfying the Debt Free requirement and MRRUPL agrees that these gifted amounts will be solely for this purpose”.​
Cox used the put option and sold 11,625,000 Rebels shares to the VRU on August 4 for $1.​
RA and the Rebels did not respond to questions.​

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would have hoped they would have at least put in place interim broadcast deal for this seasons World Series at this stage. Putting this online only would not be good outcome at all - this to me would be serious red flag if they don’t get this sorted to start promotion and fan support off on the right foot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Have to agree RN. I'll watch if it's on TV, but poor quality streaming does nothing for me. Many times tried to stream Super Rugby games but often as not the stream went down mid-game, on some occasions wasn't even there at the start.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Have to agree RN. I'll watch if it's on TV, but poor quality streaming does nothing for me. Many times tried to stream Super Rugby games but often as not the stream went down mid-game, on some occasions wasn't even there at the start.
If its done on a proper platform with NBN it will be as good or better than any TV transmission.

The world is very different once you have NBN.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
There has been significant promotion in the West. Ads on buses, in train stations, at the international airport. Ads in the local paper (including a double page spread). And ads on prime time free to air TV during the Commonwealth Games coverage - https://www.facebook.com/westernfor...8BlOD5ZeYIr2uQg0aT-VCiN40tKJS5q1UiNWs45VlF7yE

While I agree that Free to Air TV is important (and I will be surprised if it doesn't eventuate) I think they've done alright so far given the short lead time.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
From promoting WSR and the Force are back getting rugby on either FTA or Foxtel is key for first game which is only weeks away. Would be really missed opportunity if only have crappy online viewing options imho.

Hope they get something sorted but does not appear to have been the priority.....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it's interesting that the ads have been on Seven featuring some Seven personalities; I wonder if something is brewing with Kerry Stokes?

I really hope so....like I said would be huge missed opportunity if didn't have proper broadcast option as most like me will tune in to watch if on proper broadcast channel (FTA or Foxtel) but probably less likely if just streamed (ok I am hard core so would in this instance if don't have to login into to something I would - but for the masses they won't do it if requires extra effort).

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
They need to look very seriously at the how the Big Bash League boomed once it was transferred to FTA. Even if we just get some edited highlights, the reach of FTA and the effects on overall numbers is significant.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wallabies lure for Western Force signings
Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Wednesday, 18 April 2018

Australians signed to the new Western Force will be eligible for Wallabies selection after governing body World Rugby approved the World Series Rugby competition.
Several players have moved back from overseas to join the club or stayed after its axing from Super Rugby last year.
Former Force captain Matt Hodgson, now head of elite performance, said it was a big win for the club.
“The fact our Australian players are eligible to wear the colours of their country is a major victory,” he said.
“We lobbied hard to ensure that any Force player that earns the right to play for Australia is not discriminated against and believe me, we have a handful of potential Wallabies in our team.”
Scrum-half Ryan Louwrens, tipped as a Wallabies bolter last year before disaster struck, could come back onto the international radar.
Just five games into Super Rugby he ruptured his left anterior cruciate ligament and his season was over. But he is back pushing long-time Force rival Ian Prior and youngster Elliott Turner for the No.9 jumper.
Louwrens, a past Churchlands High School student, went through the Force academy and played for Force A side before picking up his first professional contract.
When the Force was axed he had two years left on his Rugby Australia contract but was considering a future overseas.
“Last year was pretty disappointing. All the dreams of going further than the Force seemed gone,” he said.
“When the Force was cut I was in two minds about going overseas. I needed to decide what route was going to be best for me. In the end coming back to the Force was the best option.”

*The Force have added flanker Henry Stowers and centre Henry Taefu to their squad.
Stowers captained Samoa at this year’s Pacific Challenge and at the 2014 Junior World Cup. He played for the All-Blacks under-20 side and Wellington and Bay of Plenty in the NZ Provincial Cup.
Former former Queensland Reds centre Taefu also played for the Australian Under-20 side and Samoa and is currently with French club Colomiers.

*Force play their first game at nib Stadium against Fiji on Friday May 4 followed by Tonga, Samoa and Hong Kong, Super Rugby clubs Rebels and Crusaders and a Japanese team.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western-force/wallabies-lure-for-western-force-signings-ng-b88810031z

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Really excited about Henry Taefu's signing, he's a lovely man & his family will really enjoy Perth. Looks like I'll be coming back over to Perth for a game or two & see them :)

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really excited about Henry Taefu's signing, he's a lovely man & his family will really enjoy Perth. Looks like I'll be coming back over to Perth for a game or two & see them :)

G'day Tina

PM us if you're coming over to Perth.
Many of us greatly appreciated your commentary during the Senate hearings.
The SoB will make sure that you are looked after.

FF (Folau Fainga'a)

half

Alan Cameron (40)
What the F do they put in the water in WA.

First Twiggy wants to run an international competition out of Perth. Now Tony Sage from Perth Glory wants a massive Asian based competition and is sending Glory to play in Asia for a match or two. Do these guys drink together or something.

Perth will soon be the new capital of sport in Australia of these two guys get their way.

Perth Glory owner Tony Sage wants to see the A-League represent Southern-Asia and beyond, starting with his plans to host a match in Borneo.

Sage has grand plans for A-League expansion, including increasing the scope of the competition from Australia and New Zealand to represent at least four of Australia's northern neighbours.
As a result, Perth Glory have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Serawak FA (Malaysia) to host an A-League match on the island of Borneo.
FFA has granted approval, all that's missing, says Sage, is a willing opponent.
“It will be fantastic to play in Malaysia,” Sage told The World Game.
“Why the FFA looks inwards for expansion, when we have over 300 million football-mad supporters in Asia seven hours to our north, is beyond me.
“It just takes bold decisions and a bit of politicking with the AFC (to make things happen)."
Sage believes the potential increase to broadcast revenue from expanding the A-League into other Asian countries is too good to pass up.
“I’d bring in four teams over the next two stages of the expansion process - one from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Hong Kong," he said.
“It would greatly enhance the numbers of people watching and following our football and, most importantly, boost our broadcast revenue.”

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The good news just keeps on coming!!!

Extremely pleased with Ian's appointment.
A very solid contributor on and off the field.
One of the first to get behind Mideroo and WF MkII.
Not a flashy player but the team always plays better when he's on the field.
Was impressed with the way that he immediately had respect with a quality outfit like the Harlequins during his 14 week stint.
Should work well the new player group and the coaching team.
Top bloke!

GO IAN PRIOR - a chance to make your own mark
GO THE WESTERN FORCE!!!!

New captain Ian Prior excited to lead fresh Western Force culture
Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Saturday, 21 April 2018

New Western Force captain Ian Prior faces a unique set of challenges, leading the resurrected side into World Series Rugby.
But scrum-half Prior, who was at the Force for four years before it was cut from Super Rugby, is looking forward to moulding a new group of players into a new side.
“We’ve got guys coming from here, there, everywhere. We’ve got a core group who were here previously, we’ve got a lot of new exciting guys coming from overseas and guys starting their professional career,” Prior said.
“It’s going to be exciting, getting cohesion, being where we want to be as a team and an organisation, creating a new culture.
“We’ve got guys who are hungry and want to prove themselves. We want to be bold as a team, play off our rules with a new set of values and ideas.
“We have a blank canvas. We can do things the way we want to do them, the way people have always envisaged doing them, without the politics surrounding professional rugby.
“The Force is close to my heart after what happened and it will be pretty surreal to lead the boys out in the first game. I get chills down my spine just thinking about it.
“It’s a huge opportunity, a huge honour, a huge privilege and a big responsibility but I won’t expect anything from others that I don’t expect from myself.”
Prior has big boots to fill, taking over from Matt Hodgson who became the face of the Force as it headed towards the Rugby Australia guillotine last season.
“I have a massive amount of respect for Hodgo and having a guy with that kind of experience and wisdom to lean on will be great,” Prior said.
Coach Tim Sampson said: “We’ve spoken as a group about having a hard edge and being humble. They are something that we must have in that captaincy role.
“The other guys have respect from Ian, he demands high standards and he has been a part of the Force previously. That is important for the coaching staff, to have a close relationship with someone who knows the place really well.”
https://thewest.com.au/sport/wester...ead-fresh-western-force-culture-ng-b88812510z

Announcement of Skipper & leadership group.
https://www.facebook.com/westernforce/videos/1724470184258390/

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
All we need now is for World Rugby to approve the rule changes for World Series Rugby.

Talk on the street is that all of the visiting teams are already on board with the changes and are excited by the chance to play an attacking/entertaining form of rugby.

I hear that there was a bit of an upset in Sydney last night with about the same winning margin as the Western Force had in Round 17 last year.

I wonder if Matt Hodgson had some tips for Swys de Bruin???

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
G'day Tina

FF (Folau Fainga'a)
Sonsofbitches.. Oh sea of blue..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
G'day Tina

FF (Folau Fainga'a)

Will definitely let you know, I'd love to meet the SeaofBlue people, & I've got a ForceFamily to catch up with too.
I'll let the Taefu's settle in, then be over pronto! Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.