• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some of you G&Grs work with a very short fuse and are happy to go off on a tangent..

I posted an announcement from the Western Force for information.

My opening comments were:
Big commitment to local rugby from the new WF squad.
Is there any other professional rugby team in Australia showing this level of commitment to Club rugby????

This was a genuine query as I was interested to know how this compared to what other teams were doing in this space.

I immediately draw a comment of: It would certainly take a special kind of arrogance to think your club is the only one daring to step outside the training track.

Where did I say, or even imply, that the Force was the only club doing this? That was why I asked the question!

The next comment was: Just that it was positioned as if the Force are doing something ground breaking. I don't think they are doing anything out of the norm and anything other clubs don't do.

Where did I imply that it was something ground breaking?

Happy to get the feedback.

Don't need the BS that comes with it!

Have a good life chaps.
FF (Folau Fainga'a) keep posting all the good stuff that is happening over there.

Plenty of us in the East want to see TF and the Force succeed.

It's great they are grass rooting it as well.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Nice words Rebel3 but unfortunately they don't apply to myself or the dozens of rugby people I know well over here.
Whether the wallabies win or not doesn't bother us at all, we simply don't care anymore.
We cannot morally support an organisation, or their team, that doesn't represent us and certainly doesn't support or include us.

I would probably feel the same way had it been the Reds who were dealt with how the Force were

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nice words Rebel3 but unfortunately they don't apply to myself or the dozens of rugby people I know well over here.
Whether the wallabies win or not doesn't bother us at all, we simply don't care anymore.
We cannot morally support an organisation, or their team, that doesn't represent us and certainly doesn't support or include us.
I hope that changes over time by rugby Australia and twiggy rugby working together. Yes won’t happen over night but hopefully with passage of time it will as I will support all oz rugby professional teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fantastic addition to the coaching team at the Western Force.
Van was at the Waratahs, Eastwood and Wallabies at the same time as Matt Hodgson.
Welcome to the West Van - have always loved your passion for the game!

Van Humphries announced as Western Force Assistant Coach

Rugby union stalwart Van Humphries has joined the Western Force as Assistant Coach.
The highly-regarded player-turned-coach will be a central figure of the Force’s coaching team
alongside Head Coach Tim Sampson and Head of Elite Performance Matt Hodgson.
As a player Humphries was regarded as a dominant lineout jumper and powerful lock. The Wallaby
squad member’s distinguished career on the field included eight years with the QLD Reds and two
years with the NSW Waratahs as well as terms with teams in Italy and Japan.
As a coach, he was most recently the Senior A Grade Coach for the Palm Beach Currumbin
Alleygators and has previously guided Brisbane’s Souths Rugby Club Premier Grade team and the
Brisbane Boys' College GPS Schoolboys team to on-field victories.
Humphries said he was lured West by the opportunity to become involved at the beginning of an
exciting new phase for Australian rugby union.
“We all watched what happened to the Force last year,” Humphries said. “It was totally
unprecedented, but it has resulted in this exciting and challenging new World Series Rugby
tournament and I was really motivated to be a part of that.
“I believe this presents a new opportunity for Australian rugby and offers a real alternative for
people looking for a game that will entertain and inspire them.
“The key to its success this year is an impressive team, which we have. I know about half a dozen of
the guys from playing and coaching and can’t wait to get to know the rest. That this roster was
assembled in such a short timeframe is amazing. There is a really good mix of experience and some
exciting up-and-comers.”
Western Force CEO Nick Marvin welcomed Humphries to the Force.
“Van has a dynamic coaching style which I think will be well-received by the players and contribute
to the overall culture of the Western Force,” Marvin said.
“We are building a talented coaching team and are in good shape to make a strong start on the field
on May 4.”

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
1521964940646_G5U1HMQA5.1-1.jpg

Very successful Western Force Fan Day at RugbyWA HQ on Sunday.
Great chance to meet the new playing squad, Super Rugby W team, the new coaches (Tim & Van) and hear from Andrew Forrest and Matt Hodgson.
Good turnout from the Sea of Blue - especially the kids/junior rugby players.
World Series Rugby games kick-off on 4 May 2018.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
is Twiggy paying the girl's salary at all? Do we know?

As far as I know RR the Western Force SRW side is under the banner of RugbyWA.
There appears to be excellent collaboration between RugbyWA and Minderoo.

The Future Force Foundation is run by RugbyWA and funded by Minderoo (and others).
There are at least 3 positions available for female players in the FFF but unsure if these have been filled at this stage.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't know if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but I am loving the fact that our first game back will be on May the 4th. That is a headline waiting to happen.

I am waiting to here the broadcast deal as keen to watch these games. And now we know the TBC is Japan. Interesting for me as for me the Sunwolves would be better in Twiggy Ball given to my mind rugby standard will be slightly below Super Rugby if Force Squad to go by which would make Sunwolves more competitive. As Japan corporate, financially and size of market wise important market to tap into. Just not sure they can make the cut at Super Rugby level but could at Twiggy Ball and would bring a lot to that competition.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
This feels like more promotion than when we were in Super Rugby. This is really quite visible.

I think we're seeing the input from Nick Marvin in the level of advertising.

I am waiting to here the broadcast deal as keen to watch these games. And now we know the TBC is Japan. Interesting for me as for me the Sunwolves would be better in Twiggy Ball given to my mind rugby standard will be slightly below Super Rugby if Force Squad to go by which would make Sunwolves more competitive. As Japan corporate, financially and size of market wise important market to tap into. Just not sure they can make the cut at Super Rugby level but could at Twiggy Ball and would bring a lot to that competition.

I don't think that we should read too much into the current Western Force squad as this is just an interim year.

The squad is quite a good one but Hodgson has only been recruiting since 11 January.
He's done a pretty good job in the time that he's had - particularly if one considers that for the 1st month he didn't have any confirmed fixture or coaches.

The earlier announcements were that the WSR/IPRC teams would include 2 x Marque players and "a number" of International players.

I see no reason as to why anyone can conclude that WSR will be at a lower standard to Super Rugby as at this stage we don't even know the other teams.

In any event, what other provincial team (such as the Western Force) gets to play against national teams (Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Hong Kong)? Add to that Crusaders, Rebels and a team from Japan (Top League team - I assume).

I'm happy to make a call about what level WSR will be at once I see the calibre of the teams.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I must admit, I'm not overly worried about the quality of rosters in the IPRC/WSR; as long as the game is open and exciting, that'll be good enough for me. A bit more of the ball carriers staying on their feet and the forwards getting a drive on to keep the play moving forward and drawing in defenders, with the space opening up in wider areas; rather than players going to ground all the time and the defence re-setting, can do the game wonders as a spectacle.

But hey, I'm an old-fashioned guy.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Force Women Named for Pivotal Queensland Clash

The Alcohol.Think Again Western Force Women have named their side to face a quality Queensland Women outfit on Saturday, 31 March at Kingsway Sporting Complex at 3:00PM in Round Four of Buildcorp Super W.
Wallaroo Huia Swannell will make her first start for the season teaming up in the centres with powerful ball runner Tui Cope who has been shuffled back to inside centre.
Captain Trilleen Pomare steps up to run the Force’s attack moving back to fly half, returning from the fullback position she filled in Round Two.
Courtney Hodder will aim to continue her outstanding maiden season and look to add more tries to her impressive stat line with fellow young gun Zakiya Kereopa named on the opposite wing.
Head coach Seb Delport knows this weekend’s match is key in the context of the season with the Force Women in third place on the ladder behind NSW and Queensland.
“A lot of the girls have put their hands up in training and earned their place in the team,” he said. “We’ve had some lessons learned after the New South Wales game and the players in the squad are the girls who have stepped up to the challenge.”
“We need to bring the right mentality to this game, we want to focus on controlling our game and not let the opposition dictate the way its played.”
“We are ready to play at our full potential, we felt we didn’t do ourselves justice against NSW and we want to make sure that our performance we leave on the field this Saturday is reflective of who we are as a squad.”

Entry is Free with Wanneroo Rugby Club providing food and beverages throughout the game. The clash with be streamed LIVE on rugby.com.au with a delayed broadcast on Fox Sports 505 at 10:00pm.

The Easter Saturday match will involve plenty of family fun including; junior skills clinic pre-game (from 1:00pm) with Western Force and Western Force women’s players, an Easter egg hunt with golden eggs that have prizes for families, Inflatable and bouncy castle and Force mascot, Westy!

Saturday’s Match is a massive game for the women’s squad so get down to Wanneroo and get behind the Force Women as they make their case for the Super W finals.

Alcohol. Think Again Western Force Women vs Queensland
  1. Darryl Wickliffe – Wanneroo
  2. Tara Reed – Palmyra
  3. Alex Bannon- Cottesloe
  4. Katie Barnes – Cottesloe
  5. Rebecca Clough – Cottesloe
  6. Taylor Waterson – Wanneroo
  7. Vesinia Schaaf-Taufa – Palmyra
  8. Katherine Outred – Palmyra
  9. Kendra Fell – Palmyra
  10. Trilleen Pomare (c) – Wanneroo
  11. Courtney Hodder – Aranmore Catholic College