• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Waratahs, R9 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Its tough being a Force fan (as distinct from being a ForceFan). One season where you got close to the finals is your best historical result. Usually you are stuck supporting a team that's in the bottom four. How to get out of it?
  • Continue to develop home-grown talent. Gee I liked the look of Scoble, he should play 16 for the rest of the year and pick whoever is best out of Charles and Tessman for 2.
  • Badger the ARU until they agree to let you have a 20% over on the salary cap. Let them develop a formula that factors in the level of Wallaby top-ups so if you get more top-ups at your franchise, the percentage drops. Call it a top-ups balance and let the Rebels have it too. They would get less than you but the whole thing could be self-levelling.
  • Just keep yelling about the unfairness of isolation, whether people listen or not. Eventually they will give you something to stop the annoyance (the squeaky wheel principle).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
On the unfairness of the isolation issue, and I do acknowledge it's very attractive for SANZAAR to use Perth as a stopover for Oz/Kiwi sides on their way to or from SAf, I'll do another km travelled chart for a few Super sides in 2018. Having a rough guess after skimming Wayne Smith's article I'd wager the Force are right up there with the Sunwolves and Jaguares for distance travelled.

This is the major weakness of SH pro rugby: the massive distances racked up to meet match commitments. After a coupla years wearing out airport carousels it's quite understandable players are tempted with a contract in Europe or Japan with matches no more than 500km away and few overnight stays. Apart from moving venues closer together I think more work has to done on the make up of the conferences. And therein lies another problem: the Saffers and Kiwis insist on playing each other. I hope the issues thrown up with these new teams in 2016 prompt SANZAAR to halt expansion for at least a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.