• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Waratahs, R9 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

galumay

I was out last night so watched the Chiefs v Canes and then the Tah's v Force this mornng. While I am happy the Tahs got up for the win, the contrast between the skill and accuracy levels in the two games was sobering.

The Force were indescribably awful, the game was ponderous with a few moments where the Tahs training drills resulted in tries against an inept and sluggish defence.

Sure our scrum looked better - against a scrum nearly as awful as ours, I really dont think there is much to take away from this game, lets see this sort of result against a decent Super rugby team and then I will start to believe that we have turned the corner.

Eddy Jones comments about there being too many teams in Super rugby were echoing in my ears this morning, while his motivation might be suspect and i am sure there was a healthy dose of hyperbole, I think he is right about there being a negative impact on the quality of a lot of the games.

Nice debut by Scobles by the way, at least Force fans have that to console them!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
straight after
I was out last night so watched the Chiefs v Canes and then the Tah's v Force this mornng. While I am happy the Tahs got up for the win, the contrast between the skill and accuracy levels in the two games was sobering.

The Force were indescribably awful, the game was ponderous with a few moments where the Tahs training drills resulted in tries against an inept and sluggish defence.

Sure our scrum looked better - against a scrum nearly as awful as ours, I really dont think there is much to take away from this game, lets see this sort of result against a decent Super rugby team and then I will start to believe that we have turned the corner.

Eddy Jones comments about there being too many teams in Super rugby were echoing in my ears this morning, while his motivation might be suspect and i am sure there was a healthy dose of hyperbole, I think he is right about there being a negative impact on the quality of a lot of the games.

Nice debut by Scobles by the way, at least Force fans have that to console them!
Stormers in Cape Town next week will provide the test.

I watched the 5.30pm NZ game and then the 7.30pm Australian game, as you say the execution of basic skills in terms of speed and accuracy was like chalk and cheese. As I have remarked on other threads, this extends across the entire spectrum of super rugby in the two nations.

Eddie Jones is the best grenade thrower in world rugby.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don't dispute there is a gulf between Australia & New Zealand in terms of skill execution, but I am surprised by the praise for the Chiefs vs Canes.

It was an entertaining game, and played at pace with great intent, but if an Aussie side made as many mistakes as the Hurricanes, they would be slammed.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't dispute there is a gulf between Australia & New Zealand in terms of skill execution, but I am surprised by the praise for the Chiefs vs Canes.

It was an entertaining game, and played at pace with great intent, but if an Aussie side made as many mistakes as the Hurricanes, they would be slammed.

They often do make that many mistakes - without the pace and intent part - therein lies the difference.:)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This Waratahs team has a lot of potential. I really like the look of where we are heading. The set piece has tightened noticeably, and we finally started converting our chances in attack.

It won't be enough for finals this year, but with the core of this side staying put for the next few seasons (with the potential exception of KB (Kurtley Beale)) I am hoping we can get back to 2014 levels.

It's just about consistency. That was the hallmark of 2014 - an unwavering ability to put forward good showings week after week after week. We are a long way from that right now, but we can get there.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yup & I can think of a coupla Strayan 5/8's who, had they missed 2 X conversions & 3 X penalties plus arguably have thrown the last pass of the match too far in front of his target (JW should still have caught it, tho, IMO) would be copping it big time right now regardless of any of the good things he did.........

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
They often do make that many mistakes - without the pace and intent part - therein lies the difference.:)
I thought the Tahs played with better pace an intent against the Brumbies - but there were some who only saw the poor skill execution.

It's a double edged sword - teams aren't going to convert from slow paced rugby to high paced, high accuracy rugby overnight. I am heartened that both the Tahs and Reds seem to be trying to lift the pace of their games.

If they persist, accuracy will improve - I have no doubt of that.

Look, again, I don't dispute the criticism you and others have made about the gap in our skills - but I just find it ironic the praise being handed out to the Canes/Chiefs game. I would be surprised if many Canes supporters thought their team played well.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought the Tahs played with better pace an intent against the Brumbies - but there were some who only saw the poor skill execution.

It's a double edged sword - teams aren't going to convert from slow paced rugby to high paced, high accuracy rugby overnight. I am heartened that both the Tahs and Reds seem to be trying to lift the pace of their games.

If they persist, accuracy will improve - I have no doubt of that.

Look, again, I don't dispute the criticism you and others have made about the gap in our skills - but I just find it ironic the praise being handed out to the Canes/Chiefs game. I would be surprised if many Canes supporters thought their team played well.

I posed the question on Twitter - although I really like watching NZ derbies for the general pace and attacking intent of the games I couldn't decide if it was all about how good they are at attack, or whether the defence is a bit "meh" at times too. Or both. Still not sure.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I posed the question on Twitter - although I really like watching NZ derbies for the general pace and attacking intent of the games I couldn't decide if it was all about how good they are at attack, or whether the defence is a bit "meh" at times too. Or both. Still not sure.

I saw only highlights - some great offload and pace, but looking at two examples:

Canes first try was off a scrum, where the Chiefs simply didn't man up correctly. Perenara made the extra man, Barrett ran into a gaping hole and then delivered a nice pass. Chiefs backrow and 9 to blame as they didn't transition fast enough. Terrible read by McKenzie as well, who backpedalled for Barrett instead of trusting the cover, and marking the winger as last man.

Chiefs' first try was Barrett rushing out of the line and letting the Chiefs' big centre roll over one bloke, and step the last. Again, terrible defence and communication, positioning.

So its a bit of both - you need the skill to put you into the position to score, but I sometimes think the Kiwi teams rely on scramble defence too often against their compatriots.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Watched the game this morning. First quarter was a bit meh, but there were some good touches by the Tahs, and way too much aimless kicking by the Force. Peter Grant has to be about the worst buy in the history of the Force - offers nothing in attack, not much in defence, and shanked a kick better than I ever could.

Yesterday I caught part of the slaughter at Concord, and the form of the Emus made me contrast them to the Force. On defence they're actually not bad. Alignment is generally good, tackling is solid, and the ruck work is hard and effective enough of the time.

On attack, when the ball is close to the ruck, they're also effective, and the skills aren't that bad.

But on wider attack, they're so different - the Emus throw the ball back about 10 metres to a static receiver, and get nowhere, while the Force throw the ball extremely flat to a static receiver, and get nowhere.

I've got to wonder what the hell both Jeremy Paul and Axel Foley are doing in their respective jobs as head coach.

Back to the Tahs: tight five better. Back row better (against a fairly solid unit). But the backs is where it fell apart for the Force. Despite Alby's best efforts, the guys outside him were absent on attack except for the excellent DHP.

That is a very interesting point - only seen him a few times, but looks the goods. Decent boot, can slip tackles in traffic, make his cover tackles at pace, and with good strength. Experience overseas, could partner Tomane in gold this year.

He and Scoble the bright lights for the Force on a fairly average showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.