• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Waratahs, round 13, Saturday 9 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Makes you wonder Gnostic about coaching. You knew what was coming but still went down. That's even worse coaching.
If your happy watching that dross week after week,and winning 2 or 3 times a year,then good luck to you.
Give it another couple of years & the squad will outnumber the crowd.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Really happy with that result. Regardless of the Hoff's terrible refereeing if was probably consistent but didn't favour any side.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Really looking at it the force won convincingly considering the tahs had one solo effort for a try and the force missed plenty of easy points by the boot.

I'm really worried about the world cup.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Force fans are happy!
c4b86566b669b6f6ccf11cc324edc819.jpg

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Brumbies have the worst depth, in terms of step down from their first choice to second stringers, of any team in the comp. They could not afford any injuries, and they have a heap. Once they got their injuries, their slipping was inevitable. What will be key for them is how they go once guys like To'omua and Sio return.

I know that Ash, it's hard to forget pushover tries from an Australian rugby side - even against another Aussie side. I was just trying to explain why the NZ conference looks to be even more freakishly strong than usual, not saying the Brumbies are a bad side.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If your happy watching that dross week after week,and winning 2 or 3 times a year,then good luck to you.
Give it another couple of years & the squad will outnumber the crowd.

The Foley style will win a few games every year. It's much easier to coach the negative than to be creative. Even Marto observed a few times in commentary that the Force were able to maintain possession but have zero penetration.

Having said that, it reflects poorly on the Waratahs that we seem incapable of countering Foley ball.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Really happy with that result. Regardless of the Hoff's terrible refereeing if was probably consistent but didn't favour any side.

The Hoff was his usual self - consistent and fair. He seems to have no idea of the ruck and maul laws. When Skelton monstered Hodgson in the opening minutes it should have been play on as Hodgson wasn't bound to the maul, he was holding on with his hand only and not his arm - therefore he is not part of the maul, the maul is over and there are no offside lines. Hodgson was later incorrectly sin binned when as the tackler he stood up and played the ball. As for the scrum resets - if he's got no idea then he should follow the Poite doctrine.;)

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Wow, some really low and whingy comments from some Tahs fans here.
Yeah you won but you have only won two games so (blows raspberry).

Get over it. We won. Suck it up!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I mentioned before the game Taquele and Betham were mucking around in the warm up. The rest of the team seemed more serious but there was no intensity from the whole lot.

Kafer mentioned a few weeks back it's harder to win a second title as mentally you have already won one and can't use lack of success as a motivational crutch.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My major concern was that there was no sign from the Tahs of a pick and go or short pass from 9 to drag defenders close to the breakdown before going wider to the speed men. Constant wide passing and mid field hit ups just played into the Force's hands and they were up to the defensive task.

Isn't that just the crux of 'Çheika Ball'? I understand that's exactly what makes Nick Phipps the best No 9 in Aus rugby and a lock for the Wallabies. Surely there's not a chink in his armour?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Hoff was his usual self - consistent and fair. He seems to have no idea of the ruck and maul laws. When Skelton monstered Hodgson in the opening minutes it should have been play on as Hodgson wasn't bound to the maul, he was holding on with his hand only and not his arm - therefore he is not part of the maul, the maul is over and there are no offside lines. Hodgson was later incorrectly sin binned when as the tackler he stood up and played the ball. As for the scrum resets - if he's got no idea then he should follow the Poite doctrine.;)

As an unbiassed and impartial observer ;) I have to say that the Tahs defensive line was miles off side at most rucks. Was that you Kearnsey complaining about them being off side all night? No, I thought not.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Isn't that just the crux of 'Çheika Ball'? I understand that's exactly what makes Nick Phipps the best No 9 in Aus rugby and a lock for the Wallabies. Surely there's not a chink in his armour?
Are you being sarcastic?

I've not seen the game, but it sounds very similar to the Stormers game in that we simply didn't alter it under the correct circumstances as per formerflanker's post. If they're cleaning you up in the second channel, change the channel. Use an inside ball. Dogmatic following of the wide ball plan is as bad as dogmatic one-out ball trucking plan.

Phipps has an issue when he step-passes, and it slows or attack just enough for the second channel to become a nightmare. A team prepared to concede the rucks and fan out can then clean us up.

When Phipps is delivering ball straight off the deck, the difference in our advantage line gains is noticeable.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Are you being sarcastic?

I've not seen the game, but it sounds very similar to the Stormers game in that we simply didn't alter it under the correct circumstances as per formerflanker's post. If they're cleaning you up in the second channel, change the channel. Use an inside ball. Dogmatic following of the wide ball plan is as bad as dogmatic one-out ball trucking plan.

Phipps has an issue when he step-passes, and it slows or attack just enough for the second channel to become a nightmare. A team prepared to concede the rucks and fan out can then clean us up.

When Phipps is delivering ball straight off the deck, the difference in our advantage line gains is noticeable.

Just a little. :)

But having seen the game, I will say that Phipps had pretty much a shocker. Didn't get the Tahs attack (nor did Foley for that matter) going forward and his hands were really awful.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Distinct lack of angry effort last night, the cleanout just wasn't to standard

I also note that there was quite a few units strapped up after last weeks game, I think we may have needed some prudent resting and Cheika trusting his squad. Last year we played through with few injuries and enthusiasm loaded momentum

I don't see us having the same luck this year

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think the back row is unbalanced: 3 ball runners, no true fetcher and what we're lacking is impact at the breakdown.
We need a harder working 8 and a 7 who goes to the ball more instead of trying to run like a 12/13.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just a little. :)

But having seen the game, I will say that Phipps had pretty much a shocker. Didn't get the Tahs attack (nor did Foley for that matter) going forward and his hands were really awful.

Phipps was getting shit ball all night because the pigs were just too inaccurate at the cleanout, so we had to invest more to do the job of less;

and that leads to the usual two attacking pods (when it works) being one and that leads to less indecisive defense;

and that leads to tougher cleanouts being needed with more units needed;

and that leads to slower ball, less options and turnovers.

Just how many ball just popped out the side?

Status
Not open for further replies.