• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Stormers vs Sharks: Neo Africa Tri Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This series will kick off on Newlands saturday 17h00 with a match between the Force and Stormers. Next teusday at 19h00 it will be the Force vs Sharks and ending on next friday at the same time between the Stormers and Sharks.

Will be interesting to see Habana and Jac Fourie wearing for the first time the Stormers jersey and genl Petoors in the Force jersey.

Warm ups never is spectucals but I am sure all three teams wants to go in round 1 with their tails up.

L

Lachlan

Parl do you know if any of the matches are going to be televised?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Genl Petoors on his Force debut (think he'll recieve a good receiption over here, unlike RattleBones)

Superrugby
Pretorius to make Force debut in SA

Former Springbok flyhalf Andre Pretorius will make his debut for the Western Force on the team’s pre-season tour to South Africa.

Pretorius, who left the Lions last year for a lucrative contract in Perth, is keen to get out of the starting blocks for his new side, especially after training in 40-degree plus heat in the Western Australian capital.

The Force will play a mini-tournament against the Sharks and Stormers over the next week and Pretorius is looking forward to playing in more familiar conditions.

"The weather is definitely a bit cooler there. It's about 23 in Cape Town today, but I'm looking forward to going there," Pretorius told the Western Force’s official website. "It will be quite strange going back and playing for another country's franchise as opposed to being with a local franchise for 11 years."

The Bok flyhalf, who was part of Jake White’s World Cup-winning squad of 2007, and who played 31 times for the Springboks, is still unsure how his countrymen will receive him.

"I have no idea what reception I will get," he said."Honestly I have thought about it, but I have no idea. I'm guessing it will be quite warm, so to speak, but it will be strange and something I never thought I would experience."

Pretorius believes the move to the Force has rejuvenated his career -- especially as he can move “under the radar” with Rugby Union not receiving the same prominence in Perth as it does in Johannesburg.

"It's quite refreshing as opposed to being in Jo'burg in a rugby mad country. You do sneak under the radar a bit more here, but the lifestyle change has been quite significant for me for the better," he said. "I never got to go to the beach after training or to play nine holes after training, so it has been quite nice."

The Force head to Cape Town on Tuesday evening to play two trial matches, firstly against the Stormers on Saturday January 23, and then against the Sharks on Tuesday January 26. It will then be back to Perth for a final hit out against the Reds on February 5.
Ja he is right it is 23 today but it was 43 on sunday in the shade.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Ive heard that the Stormers will be throwing out a full strength side for this. And I hope the Force do as well.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Genl Petoors on his Force debut (think he'll recieve a good receiption over here, unlike RattleBones)
Interesting that he'll receive a warm reception, is that due to being at the end of his career?

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
farva said:
Ive heard that the Stormers will be throwing out a full strength side for this. And I hope the Force do as well.
Reports in the paper here in Perth say that the Force will be splitting the playing group into 2 teams, one to play the Stormers and one to play the Sharks 3 days later. Dont know the composition of either team but would imagine they would be evenly split. Both will be tough games but a good chance for everybody to impress.
Apparently the composite team that plays the Reds in a trial on 5th Feb will be pretty close to the team for round one.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
PaarlBok said:
Interesting that he'll receive a warm reception, is that due to being at the end of his career?
No Petoors isnt one that throw his toys out in the media.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
farva said:
We have our Varsity Cup (Stormers have two teams in this compo :Maties & Ikeys) starting on 1 Feb and the Vodacom Cup starting a few weeks later. The backup players for the Stormers was used last saturday, so they have this two matches to play their best combos and end with a match against Boland Vodacom to end their warmups.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Lachlan said:

Looks like an hour highlight show of the Force vs Stormers ans Force vs Sharks, followed by live coverage of the Stormers vs Sharks. All on January 29th on SuperSport 1.

18:00-19:00 SS1 Neo Africa Tri Series Build-Up Including H\L Stormers And Sharks v Western Force
19:00-21:00 SS1 Neo Africa Tri Series Stormers v Sharks

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
rustycruiser said:
Lachlan said:

Looks like an hour highlight show of the Force vs Stormers ans Force vs Sharks, followed by live coverage of the Stormers vs Sharks. All on January 29th on SuperSport 1.

18:00-19:00 SS1 Neo Africa Tri Series Build-Up Including H\L Stormers And Sharks v Western Force
19:00-21:00 SS1 Neo Africa Tri Series Stormers v Sharks
Ah thanks Rusty, usually they dont show any warmups on TV, only Varsity Cup. Saw now they will show the Stormers vs Sharks game live. Nice.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
latest in camp Stormers
Superrugby
Boks to make Stormers debuts

Bryan Habana and Jaque Fourie will make their Stormers debuts against Western Force at the weekend in what could be viewed as the alternative backline combination to the one the coaches would prefer to see start the Super 14.

Willem de Waal was still not taking contact at training on Tuesday, and his return to the playing field looks set to coincide with the final warm-up match against Boland at the new Cape Town Stadium on February 6.

That is one week before the tournament opener against the Lions in Johannesburg. Stormers coach Allister Coetzee left little doubt on Tuesday that the Stormers are still looking to De Waal to start that match if he proves his readiness, with Peter Grant perhaps moving from flyhalf to inside centre as partner to Fourie.

However, while De Waal is sidelined, the Stormers look set to continue with the other option, which is to play Grant at his usual position of flyhalf, with Juan de Jongh partnering Springbok Fourie.

“We saw how well Juan played at inside centre when we moved him there in the Currie Cup and he is definitely an option, but we also know that Peter Grant can play inside centre if Willem comes in at flyhalf,” said Coetzee.

On Tuesday the Stormers had Dewaldt Duvenage and Grant at halfback, De Jongh and Fourie were paired up in the midfield, while the back three were made up of Bryan Habana, Sireli Naqelevuki and fullback Joe Pietersen. Conrad Jantjes was at training but still has some weeks to go before he can be considered as he continues his comeback after breaking his leg towards the end of the last Super 14 season.

The Stormers face the Western Force at Newlands on Saturday (5pm) in the first match of the tri-series friendly competition which also involves the Sharks. The Sharks play the Force at Newlands on Tuesday, January 26, with the Stormers and Sharks clashing in the last match on January 29.

“It is not about the results for us, but about getting the little things right, things that you cannot work on once the Super 14 starts and it all comes down to winning at all costs. We will still make sure though that we use it as a proper dress rehearsal for our first match, which means we will be taking all of our kicks at poles so as to properly replicate a match atmosphere.”

So the team most probably will look like:
Pietersen, Habana, Fourie, du Jongh, Sereli, Grant, Duvenhage, Schalk, Vermeulen, Louw, van Zyl, Bekker, Harris, Liebenberg, Blaauw.

Had a talk yesterday with Pietr Louw's granny, know him very well and according to him the Stormers setup changed completely since Luke went and Proudfoot/Fleck took control. He sure drill that pack like never before and the dissipline much better within the camp.

Thats exactly what Oom Paarl wants to here, music to my ears. :yay

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
Moses said:
PaarlBok said:

Unlike Puppet then?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:
Moses said:
PaarlBok said:

Unlike Puppet then?
You are pretty disappointing lately Spokie, there is a huge differense between a player and a coach when it come to the press.

I'll be more specific then, dear Rattlebones bad mouth SA when he left , thats why he got stick from the SA supporter when he visited, likewise our Pom cricket friend KP.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers will play with two teams on saturday. one team against the Force and the rest of the squad will play against Maties.

meanwhile the Sharks looks to take a full squad and will give all the players playtime. Pat Lambie will feature with Monty du Mont in the 10 jersey.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
I'll be more specific then, dear Rattlebones bad mouth SA when he left.

I have to disagree, PB. I don't think Rathbone badmouthed RSA.

I suspect that Rathbone differs from Vickerman, the Dud, Pietersen, Trott and similar in that they were unknowns when they left. Rathbone, on the other hand, was a golden-haired boy of RSA rugby.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I recall reading some Rathbone quotes where he said his main reason for leaving was crime, like the vast majority of Saffas who migrate. He talked about wanting his partner to be safe, and didn't feel that was possible in RSA. Then to prove him right his grandparents were broken into, tied up and robbed, I think while he was touring RSA.

Pietersen on the other hand is a right dick. He claims he didn't get a chance in Natal as he's not of colour, but the truth is he was an off-spin bowler during his time there, batting down the order at 7 or 8. After a period in the UK he reinvented himself as a batman, and though his bowling is handy, I doubt he'd make the Pommy team as a bowler.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There are many, many problems in contemporary SAf society, most stemming from the racist policies of some whites of the past four/five hundred years. I don't think it's appropriate for us, as outsiders, to put the boot in.

I used the word "some" carefully.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers team to play the Force
15 Joe Pietersen, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Juan de Jongh, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Peter Grant, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Francois Louw, 6, Pieter Myburgh, 5 Andries Bekker (c), 4 De Kock Steenkamp, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Tiaan Liebenberg, 1 Wicus Blaauw.
Subs: Deon Fourie, JC Kritzinger, JD Moller, Anton van Zyl, Jacques Potgieter, Pieter Louw, Bolla Conradie, Lionel Cronje, Sireli Naqelevuki, JJ Engelbrecht

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
I recall reading some Rathbone quotes where he said his main reason for leaving was crime, like the vast majority of Saffas who migrate. He talked about wanting his partner to be safe, and didn't feel that was possible in RSA. Then to prove him right his grandparents were broken into, tied up and robbed, I think while he was touring RSA.
Well I am speaking for myself and my oldest son were flown last week back from London on the states cost to appear in court for when he was High Jacked and held with a gun to his head by three Nigerians. He sure dont wanted to come back for this and the court case open up all those wounds once again. The mentally scares still lie deep and the youngsters dont have the guts our old toppies have , that were fighting a war.

He is kak scared and still looking over his shoulder but running away from it is never going to solve this. You have no vokken idea what it feel to walk out a court and the three bastards are sitting outside and look like laughing at you. Times like that I want to take the mauser and shot them between the eyes. Never the solution because we have to front up against crime and running away to some land of milk and honey , not even a option for me. So he'll just have to do the same.

anyway where were we?

Status
Not open for further replies.