• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Stormers vs Sharks: Neo Africa Tri Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A youthful Emirates Western Force side has succumbed to a full-strength Stormers outfit 54-12 in the first of their Neo Africa Tri-series trial matches at Newlands in Cape Town.

Seven of the Emirates Western Force run on side made their debut for the club, four of those playing their first Super 14 match. Coach John Mitchell sticking with his plan to blood the club’s new talent and allow his entire touring party at least 80 minutes of football over the two matches.

The Stormers enjoyed the rub of the green from the opening whistle and took full advantage by running in six tries to nil in the opening 40 minutes. Full back Joe Pietersen crossed twice, slotted four successful conversions and booted a penalty goal in a dominant first half.

The Emirates Western Force hit back after half time with tries to debutants Joelin Rapana and Mark Swanepoel but were unable to peg back the home side after their barnstorming opening.

In past season’s the Force had started their trial phase with a game against local Academy players in Perth but Mitchell said the opportunity to face a hardened Super 14 opponent has produced some valuable outcomes.

“We wanted our players to be under no illusions, certainly our new players, our young players, of what Super 14 takes,” Mitchell said following the match.

“The reality is they’ve had great learning during that situation.

“We want to come out of South Africa with every player having 80 minutes under their belt before we go into our third trial (at home against the Reds in a fortnight).”

While the score line might have reflected a lopsided affair Mitchell was happy to have the first stage of the trial phase complete and to give the club’s developing talent a run.

“Clearly in that first quarter we were undone by kick receipt, second quarter we were undone by general play maul and line-out maul so that kind of thing you can fix. Second half it was a much more even contest,” Mitchell said.

“We’ve come for eight lots of 20minutes (drinks breaks are taken midway through each half) and want to get learning out of those quarters but credit to the Stormers, they look a very good side.”

The club’s Wallaby contingent looked on from the pine for most of the match but was introduced from 60 minutes onwards. Skipper Nathan Sharpe and winger Cameron Shepherd enjoyed their first outings following off-season surgery while internationals David Pocock, James O’Connor and Ryan Cross also enjoyed a run late in the match. All will receive more time on Tuesday night against the Sharks, the match again to be played at Newlands.

“What you saw at the end of the match, most of that group will play (against the Sharks), we want everyone getting 80 minutes. We have a lot of the internationals coming back so it is important to get a stretch of 50 to 60 minutes for them,” said Mitchell.

Sharpe entered the fray with 20 minutes remaining and his presence added impetus to the Force line-out which had found it tough going against an experienced Stormers crew.

“We have a lot of new guys that are cutting their teeth. You can throw as many balls and jump in as many uncontested line-outs as you like (at training) but you don’t get a lot of practice until you put it to the test,” Sharpe said.

“The Stormers have a very good line-out and it was a great acid test for us to come into and I think it is going to stand us in good stead. By the looks of it the Stormers fielded their number one side straight up and it’s not always a bad thing coming out of trial matches knowing where you need to improve.”

New Force recruit Matt Dunning played just a short burst in his debut before being shown red by the referee. The Stormers Jacque Potgieter also sitting out the final five minutes and both players will be required to front the judiciary in Cape Town on Monday.

“The situation will be dealt with properly and as I understand it the incident was quite minor,” Mitchell said following the match.

Neo Africa Tri-series – Match 1

Saturday, 23 January 2010 at Newlands, Cape Town

Vodacom Stormers 54

Emirates Western Force 12

Crowd: 18,000 (approx)

Emirates Western Force XV: 15.Dane Haylett-Petty, 14.Joelin Rapana, 13.Mitch Inman, 12.Josh Tatupu, 11.Mark Swanepoel, 10.Mark Bartholomeusz, 9.Chris O’Young, 8.Sam Wykes, 7.Matt Hodgson, 6.Ben McCalman, 5.Tom Hockings, 4.Richard Stanford, 3.Tim Fairbrother, 2.Ben Whittaker, 1.Nic Henderson

Substitutes: 16.Ryan Tyrrell, 17.Kieran Longbottom, 18. Nathan Sharpe, 19. David Pocock, 20.Brett Sheehan, 22.Cameron Shepherd, 23.James O’Connor, 24.Ryan Cross, 25.Sam Harris, 26.Matt Dunning

By the clock: (*score – home side mentioned first)

2min: Try to the Vodacom Stormers scored by Joe Pietersen. Converted by Joe Pietersen. (7-0)

9min: Try to the Vodacom Stormers scored by Andries Bekker. Converted by Joe Pietersen. (14-0)

12min: Try to the Vodacom Stormers scored by Tiaan Liebenberg. Converted by Joe Pietersen. (21-0)

16min: Penalty goal to the Vodacom Stormers scored by Joe Pietersen. (24-0)

28min: Try to the Vodacom Stormers scored by Joe Pietersen. Converted by Joe Pietersen. (31-0)

30min: Try to the Vodacom Stormers scored by Peter Grant. Not converted by Joe Pietersen. (36-0)

37min: Try to the Vodacom Stormers scored by Bryan Habana. Not converted by Joe Pietersen. (41-0)

HALF TIME: Vodacom Stormers 41 – 0 Emirates Western Force

43min: Penalty goal to the Vodacom Stormers scored by Joe Pietersen. (44-0)

44min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Joelin Rapana. Not Converted by Mark Bartholomeusz (44-5)

63min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Mark Swanepoel. Converted by James O’Connor(44-12)

71min: Try to the Vodacom Stormers scored by JJ Engelbrecht. Converted by Peter Grant. (51-12)

79min: Penalty goal to the Vodacom Stormers scored by Peter Grant. (54-12)

Replacements –

60min: Nathan Sharpe replaces Tom Hockings

60min: David Pocock replaces Matt Hodgson

60min: Kieran Longbottom replaces Nic Henderson

60min: James O’Connor replaces Dane Haylett-Petty

60min: Ryan Cross replaces Chris O’Young

60min: Ryan Tyrrell replaces Ben Whittaker

60min: Matt Dunning replaces Tim Fairbrother

70min: Cameron Shepherd replaces Mitch Inman

70min: Sam Harris replaces Josh Tatupu

70min: Brett Sheehan replaces Mark Swanepoel

75min: Tim Fairbrother replaces Richard Stanford (following a red card to Matt Dunning)

Neo Africa Tri-series - Next Match

Sharks v Emirates Western Force

Tuesday, 26 January 2010 at Newlands, Cape Town

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Paarl's two new Stormer/Province man crushes.

tl765973.jpg

tl765968.jpg

T

TOCC

whats the go with those jerseys, did the spray paint can run out?

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Blue is right. Adidas does two year jersey cycles. This is the second year of the current jersey (which is pretty much identical to the prior one, with the only differance being a white versus blue collar). The (ugly ass) spray paint jobby is one of a few different training jerseys. They also have a orange striped and blue striped one.

team_pic.jpg

http://photos-h.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc3/hs237.snc3/22454_294848587323_178443682323_5138292_1044358_n.jpg

http://photos-g.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc3/hs217.snc3/22454_294848662323_178443682323_5138296_5303683_n.jpg

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Oops, forgot to add (and Paarlbok can correct me), if I remember right, the story of the spraypaint jersey has to do with the "I am a Stormer" campain. They invited fans to sign a white jersey with blue ink. As more and more people signed it, it started to become more blue than white. And this jersey is a printed version of that. So basically, marketing BS to try express that the Stormers blue jersey is blue because of all the fans who stand behind them blah blah blah bullshit bullshit vomit.

;)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
rustycruiser said:
Oops, forgot to add (and Paarlbok can correct me), if I remember right, the story of the spraypaint jersey has to do with the "I am a Stormer" campain. They invited fans to sign a white jersey with blue ink. As more and more people signed it, it started to become more blue than white. And this jersey is a printed version of that. So basically, marketing BS to try express that the Stormers blue jersey is blue because of all the fans who stand behind them blah blah blah bullshit bullshit vomit.

;)
There is only one blue that matters. The mighty blue. It's up north. Sorry boys. Keep signing. That is all.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
40-0 at halftime is a serious indictment on our depth. Not a good year to be a new Force fan, looks like. At least the young blood know where they stand now -- miles off the pace. More importantly, Mitchell has a better idea where he stands. No Giteau this year will really show if he has what it takes. Dunno how long his contract is, but with Cheika leaving Leinster and missing out on the Rebels headcoach position, a poor showing from the Force this year could genuinely threaten Mitchell's professional coaching future. Not that I think Cheika would want the job. Unless his desire for a challenge and/or his patriotism overcome his good sense.

So, any positives at all to come out of the game? How was our scrum? Lineout? I read that Dunning punched the guy after he was laughed at for a particularly embarrassing scrum. Does that sound right?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
JJJ said:
So, any positives at all to come out of the game? How was our scrum? Lineout? I read that Dunning punched the guy after he was laughed at for a particularly embarrassing scrum. Does that sound right?

not really. he has never seemed the type. plus his scrummaging has been handy of late.

maybe it was one of those games when everything was refusing to go right and he lost it. :nta:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
rustycruiser said:

;)
There is only one blue that matters. The mighty blue. It's up north. Sorry boys. Keep signing. That is all.
Rusty you 100% apart for the last part. Oom Paarls signature is right there at the heart. Blue you pretty much wrong Boet the Brutes are vulletjie as a union compare to us and hey you poach Habana from the Lions , so he aint a true Blue product and hopefull he'll see more pill in a season at the Stormers to what he was use to in his career at the Brutes. ;)

It wasnt a full strength Stormers team like the report qouted, there are a few players for the Stormers in the come frame like Schalk, Jantjes, Koster, Fondse & des Fountain.

Good see young guns like Pietersen playing good rugby, they sure aint the same as a year back. Perfect start for us and 18,000 at a warmup is excellent.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Coetzee's take on the match
Stormers site
Vodacom Stormers coach satisfied
- Sunday, January 24, 2010
Vodacom Stormers coach Allister Coetzee expressed satisfaction after his team crushed the Western Force 54-12 at Newlands on Saturday in the opening match of the Neo Africa Tri-Series.

The Stormers gave debuts to Springboks Bryan Habana and Jaque Fourie as well as former South African under-20 flyhalf Lionel Cronjé. They now on Friday night face the Sharks, who will be dueling with the Force at Newlands on Tuesday night.

The Force started Saturday’s game without stars such as David Pocock, Nathan Sharpe, Matt Dunning and James O’ Connor. That, however, didn’t disappoint Coetzee.

“I am not disappointed at all. We know what we wanted to achieve in this game and we got what we wanted.

“I don’t think we’ll make too many changes for the Sharks match. I’d like to keep my combos going although we also need to give the youngsters more game time here and there.”

Wing Gio Aplon, who was outstanding on Saturday, took a knock to the head and the equally impressive fullback Joe Pietersen finished the game with a thigh niggle, but Coetzee said they were not serious injuries.

The Stormers management will discuss the cutting of the squad and announce the final group squad of about 34 players on Monday.

Coetzee gave his team the pass mark in most departments, but the coach said he wants a more clinical breakdown performance after an inconsistent showing in that regard against the Force.

“I’m unhappy with our discipline at the breakdown. It is still at that stage of the season where referees are basically coaching players at the breakdown during the matches, and we got pinned quite a few times for not rolling away or holding on after the ref had called ruck.

“It is something we need to analyse and work on in the coming week. Next week (Friday) will be a typical South African derby against the Sharks with an intense competition at the breakdown.”

Coetzee was delighted with the kick-chase and all-round showing at the lineout. The Stormers coach however refuted suggestions that there are problems at the scrum despite his side conceding several penalties at this set-piece.

“I’m not too worried about the scrum. These are the pillars of the game we wanted to better this season (along with the kicking game and the breakdown). We’ve just got to make sure we don’t look for the short cut.”

The B team also beat Maties in the curtain raisor.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
JJJ said:
40-0 at halftime is a serious indictment on our depth. Not a good year to be a new Force fan, looks like.

That Storers side would have smashed the Tahs & Reds teams that ran out on Saturday, I would get overly concerned.

Dunning has form for not putting up with SA niggle tacticsand using his fists to make his point

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
fatprop said:
Dunning has form for not putting up with SA niggle tacticsand using his fists to make his point

Right in front of the ref if reports are to be believed. Niggle or no niggle, that is about as dumb as you can get. But we are talking about the guy who complained that he wasn't getting paid as much as those flashy backs and who warms up by humping the posts so I guess that's face value.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
HE probably was a bit hungry, knew there was a stack of pies in the change rooms, and figured out a way to get an early start on them before he had to share with the rest of the boys.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nothing serious, he got cleaned out by Pieter Myburgh alla Bakkies style at a ruck and did not like it and Potgieter (see the Newlands faithfull calls him the SA Chabal version) reacted.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Blue you pretty much wrong Boet the Brutes are vulletjie as a union compare to us and hey you poach Habana from the Lions , so he aint a true Blue product and hopefull he'll see more pill in a season at the Stormers to what he was use to in his career at the Brutes. ;)

You're always on about how great player development is in the Cape yet you import more players than any other Union and now you stole the two best South African backs. Sies man.

On top of that you try and copy the beatiful blue.

Disgraceful mountain goats. :fishing

Oh and do you want to take a bet that Habana will score more tries for the Stormers than his average at the Bulls? I hope so for your sake because god knows the Stormers need all the help they can get.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
:lmao: Not to worry Blue, we wear blue when you lot was still part of the Cats. :lmao:

Anyway look like Cronje is also a good poach for us.
Keo
In the curtain raiser, Western Province XV beat Stellenbosch 59-26. The match was loose with Maties’ regular lapses allowing the hosts to punish them out wide in the first half.

Flyhalf Conrad Hoffmann was solid without being spectacular, kicking 15 points in all, while replacement Lionel Cronje sparked some exciting play in the final quarter of both matches. His offload to JJ Englebrecht in the 72nd minute of the Force match gifted the reserve winger a try and underlined his attacking threat.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
rustycruiser said:
PaarlBok said:
:lmao: Not to worry Blue, we wear blue when you lot was still part of the Cats. :lmao:
Put the witbliz down, Paarl. ;) The Bulls where never part of the Cats franchise.
Meaning you were part of the Valies before you lot got hard arse and pack the oxwagons and decide the Jukskei River split.

Status
Not open for further replies.