• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Stormers vs Sharks: Neo Africa Tri Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PaarlBok said:
Stormers team to play the Force
15 Joe Pietersen, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Juan de Jongh, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Peter Grant, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Francois Louw, 6, Pieter Myburgh, 5 Andries Bekker (c), 4 De Kock Steenkamp, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Tiaan Liebenberg, 1 Wicus Blaauw.
Subs: Deon Fourie, JC Kritzinger, JD Moller, Anton van Zyl, Jacques Potgieter, Pieter Louw, Bolla Conradie, Lionel Cronje, Sireli Naqelevuki, JJ Engelbrecht
Captain Schalk Burger, who is suffering from a haematoma on his leg, will not be risked, as Pieter Myburgh gets the opportunity to gain match experience

Peter Grant will play in the number 10 jersey, and also assumes the role of vice captain. Andries Bekker will captain the side

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Biffo said:
PaarlBok said:
I'll be more specific then, dear Rattlebones bad mouth SA when he left.

I have to disagree, PB. I don't think Rathbone badmouthed RSA.

I suspect that Rathbone differs from Vickerman, the Dud, Pietersen, Trott and similar in that they were unknowns when they left. Rathbone, on the other hand, was a golden-haired boy of RSA rugby.

Rathbone did say he'd couldn't remember the words to the SA national anthem two years after he left. Which, given he'd been SA under-age captain, was a bit unlikely, and unnecessary. Now, that said, I think that comment riled a lot of people and does appear to have been a once-off.

It's going to happen to some extent, because people move, their parents move, and they find themselves being offered opportunities. Dayglo was within 45 minutes of playing for Ireland, to take just one example. And when you had Dewi Morris playing for England against Rupert Henry St.John Barker Moon playing for Wales, it gets a bit confusing. :lmao:

Still, seeing as the 6N is coming around, as long as everyone hates Leicester and England, it's all good. :thumb

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Moses said:
I recall reading some Rathbone quotes where he said his main reason for leaving was crime, like the vast majority of Saffas who migrate. He talked about wanting his partner to be safe, and didn't feel that was possible in RSA. Then to prove him right his grandparents were broken into, tied up and robbed, I think while he was touring RSA.

Pietersen on the other hand is a right dick. He claims he didn't get a chance in Natal as he's not of colour, but the truth is he was an off-spin bowler during his time there, batting down the order at 7 or 8. After a period in the UK he reinvented himself as a batman, and though his bowling is handy, I doubt he'd make the Pommy team as a bowler.

Being fair, I think Pietersen's considered a tosser in England, too. And I'm not referring to his bowling... :lmao:

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Can't find these games being broadcast anywhere. What the hell is the point of having pay tv if they don't show all the rugby?? Looks like I'll have to figure out exactly when the matches are on and then find dodgy internet feeds. ::)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If it is being televised in the RSA there should be ways of seeing the broadcast using the Internet.

But if it's not being televised you're up shit creek.

T78

Good to see you in top form in 2010.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:
Moses said:
PaarlBok said:
Genl Petoors on his Force debut (think he'll recieve a good receiption over here, unlike RattleBones)
Interesting that he'll receive a warm reception, is that due to being at the end of his career?
No Petoors isnt one that throw his toys out in the media.

Unlike Puppet then?
You are pretty disappointing lately Spokie, there is a huge differense between a player and a coach when it come to the press.

Yes a coach should have greater levels of diplomacy and tact. Puppet has neither.

PB, you are back to your old double standards I see. Pity.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Spook said:
Yes a coach should have greater levels of diplomacy and tact. Puppet has neither.

PB, you are back to your old double standards I see. Pity.
Boet I promise the keepers of the Scarf I wont get stuck in the Aussies. Myself know Spokie way to well as a poster that wont stop throwing out the baits till he get the response he wants. I am not sure if you are back to the usual game of baiting , if you do I wont reply to any of your posts in future but if you want my honest opinion (thats what I try to do here) I am more then willing to argue about this and the reason why the SA Rugby supporter (it obvious differs from my view) never have much eye browse for a spoiled brat soutie.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lee Grant said:
If it is being televised in the RSA there should be ways of seeing the broadcast using the Internet.

But if it's not being televised you're up shit creek.
They only show the highlights of the Force two matches before they show the Sharks vs Stormers match live.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Stormers backup team to play against Maties:
Jurgen Visser, Fabian Juries, Frikkie Welsh (k), Paul Bosch, JJ Engelbrecht, Conrad Hoffman, Bolla Conradie, Yaya Hartzenberg, Pieter Louw, Conraad Britz, Martin Muller, Rynhardt Elstadt, Eusebio Guinazu, Callie Visagie, JD Moller. PLAASVERVANGERS: Sydney Tobias, Hein van der Merwe, Stephan Greeff, Dustin Jinka, Hilton Lobberts, Liam Slatem, Jody Burch, Stokkies Hanekom, Tim Whitehead, Denzil Riddles.

a Lot of up and coming talent youngsters in this team.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
PaarlBok said:
The Stormers backup team to play against Maties:
Jurgen Visser, Fabian Juries, Frikkie Welsh (k), Paul Bosch, JJ Engelbrecht, Conrad Hoffman, Bolla Conradie, Yaya Hartzenberg, Pieter Louw, Conraad Britz, Martin Muller, Rynhardt Elstadt, Eusebio Guinazu, Callie Visagie, JD Moller. PLAASVERVANGERS: Sydney Tobias, Hein van der Merwe, Stephan Greeff, Dustin Jinka, Hilton Lobberts, Liam Slatem, Jody Burch, Stokkies Hanekom, Tim Whitehead, Denzil Riddles.

a Lot of up and coming talent youngsters in this team.

Paarl

That's a pretty useful looking lineup Boet? Seems to me that there's experienced blokes in key positions. I'm hoping both sides will get something out of it.

The word is that André die Generaal is not playing against the Stormers, only the Sharks. We also probably won't know the team before the game is played as The Force are apparently not going to release their lineup for some inexplicable reason.

I may have an opportunity to interview André soon: is there anything you'd like me to ask him apart from the obvious?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lance Free said:
I may have an opportunity to interview André soon: is there anything you'd like me to ask him apart from the obvious?
Nah Boet, just tell him he should stick to his trade marks sand pit, line throwing, Boer glaring, kicking tradition. The only missing part is kicking with the toe and you have the Tiny Naude tradition.

The other thing you can ask him is if he is still eat pap and sous with his braai choppie and maybe sell the recepy in Perth. Mind you not many Valies, mostly Guppies and souties and they only eat smash potatoes.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, Perthfontein (I call it Swan Laager after the local beer) is full of souties. But nothing wrong with mashed potatoes PB! When in Rome.

I have a mate of mine who is a real Boer Ven der Merwe. A good man who speaks a little bit of English and likes his mealie pap and boerewors. Every time I go round to his place I get that on the braai. We drink malt whiskey together. He's from Pretoria and the family speak Afrikaans as their first language at home. He's been here for 10 years.

Anyhow, André has given the sand the flick and now just uses the kicking tee but I guess the glaring stays the same.....

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lance Free said:
Yeah, Perthfontein (I call it Swan Laager after the local beer) is full of souties. But nothing wrong with mashed potatoes PB! When in Rome.

I have a mate of mine who is a real Boer Ven der Merwe. A good man who speaks a little bit of English and likes his mealie pap and boerewors. Every time I go round to his place I get that on the braai. We drink malt whiskey together. He's from Pretoria and the family speak Afrikaans as their first language at home. He's been here for 10 years.

Anyhow, André has given the sand the flick and now just uses the kicking tee but I guess the glaring stays the same.....
:lmao: You should tell your mate to braai you a nice few lamb loin choppies, boerewors is made for the bun. You know I also love my stywe (stuff) pap (you also get the crumb version, taste a bit like sand. When ma wants to treat me she make a nice pap tart in the oven with lekka mushrooms and bacon and a lot of goodies.

A pitty he takes the tee now, can remember some of the Aussies/Kiwis complain when he do the line up thing with the sand. Maybe the reason for the switch.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sharks squad for the matches
Willem Alberts, Jacques Botes, Craig Burden, Patric Cilliers, Keegan Daniel, Jean Deysel, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Monty Dumond, Alistair Hargreaves, Adrian Jacobs, Ryan Kankowski, Rory Kockott, Patrick Lambie, Charl McLeod, Gerhard Mostert, Tendai Mtawarira, Johann Muller, Waylon Murray, Lwazi Mvovo, Odwa Ndungane, JP Pietersen, John Smit (captain), Andries Strauss, Riaan Swanepoel, Steven Sykes, Stefan Terblanche, Luzuko Vulindlu.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
THE Western Force started its Super rugby warm-up on tour in South Africa as if it had just climbed out of bed from New Year's celebrations.

The Perth franchise were in for a rude wake up in the first half at Newlands as the Stormers scored six tries in the first 40 minutes, the dust eventually settling with the fulltime score at 54-12.

The game, as a contest, was already over at half-time with the scoreboard reading 41-0 to the home side.

The Force improved in the second half, Joelin Rapana and scrumhalf Mark Swanepoel, both playing their first games for the Force, opening their try-scoring account with James O’Connor kicking a conversion.

The South African side shaded the second forty 13-12 after wing JJ Engelbrecht scored their only try of the second period.

The game ended on an ignominious note for Wallaby prop Matt Dunning on his debut for the Force.

With four minutes to play Dunning was sent off for punching, followed in quick succession by replacement Stormers flank Jacques Potgieter, also on debut, for joining the fight.

The Force may be shaking off the cobwebs of travel and jet-lag, but coach John Mitchell will be looking for a huge improvement when his side meets the Sharks on Tuesday

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Wow!! That's an absolute shellacking, even if it is a trial match, and one in SA at that. Does anyone know the full Force side that ran out? Hope it doesn't leave too many mental scars on the Force rookies that played.

It will be interesting to see how they bounce back in their next hitout over there.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Holy shit, that is a raping.

Good work by Dunning, nice to see someone had some pride & fire in the belly.

Status
Not open for further replies.