• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France to rest stars for Aussie tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
France coach Phillippe Saint-André has admitted that his team will tour Australia in June without a number of star players as les Les Bleus prepare for the 2015 World Cup.

France could only finish fourth in this year's Six Nations, with three victories in their five matches, but Saint-André has rated his team as potential World Cup winners in England next year.

France will travel to Australia eyeing a successful three-Test tour but Saint-André acknowledged that, with the Top 14 Final played just seven days before the first fixture (June 7), some players would not make the trip Down Under.

He will name a 31-man squad on Wednesday.

"Some will be rested," he said.

"I've had chats with some Top 14 coaches and some players really need a rest because they're a bit burnt out.

"They need to recuperate and above all must be able to have a real off-season before the upcoming World Cup year.

"But others have played 30-35 matches and have a massive desire to play for the France team."
Saint-André said he had been buoyed by his team's performance in the Six Nations, which ended with a 22-20 defeat by eventual champions Ireland.

"I was even more so happy given the huge numbers of 'leaders' who were missing or who we lost through injury in the tournament, such as Thierry Dusautoir, Fulgence Ouedraogo, Morgan Parra, Benjamin Kayser and Dimitri Szarzewski.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9299679,00.html

This is big and very disappointing, can understand their reasoning however. Don't think Link will be too happy about this.

M

Moono75

Typical Frogs. No wonder the ARU can't make any money.

M

Moono75

I don't think it will impact the ARU, if anything it'll make the Wallabies (hopefully) more successful during the tour and will increase attendances and TV ratings but it in terms of the Wallabies preparations for TRC it might be harmful to that.

And they Wallabies are unveiling a new jersey....a return to a darker shade of gold and white collar. Bound to rake in a few $.

I guess if the French play with a bit of flair they could do anything. It will be interesting to see where the Wallabies are at first up hit out and where Links head is selection wise.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
We're not talking about a lot of players, though are we?

I've just had a look at the Top 14 table, and Toulon, Montpellier, Clermont, Toulouse, Racing Metro and Castres are qualified for the finals.

Of those teams, there's not that many "stars" who have played many tests and many domestic club games.

I can see maybe Bastareaud (Toulon), Mas (Montpellier), Domingo and Fofana (Clermont), Huget and Picamoles (Toulouse) being rested.

France will still be competitive in any case.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well you just named probably their 6 best players + Dusautoir.

Also involved in the playoffs are Dulin, Fickou, Medard, Machenaud, Szarzewski, Maestri and Chouly but of course only 2 teams will be in the final.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Once the hype starts that France are sending a second string team (because that's what it will be sold as by the league-centric media) there will be fewer non rusted on supporters interested in having a look.
I thought the IRB had addressed the failure of European teams to bring their best.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Another reason why the NZRUs push for July tests is a good idea, can't understand why NH are so against it, let their comps finish and then everyone that wants can play.

T

TOCC

I was on the fence as to whether I should get tickets, this definitely doesn't help the cause...

I want to watch the best players, not just from Australia but overseas as well..

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
From what I've seen of the French, maybe them bringing young guys who will give it their all and play as a team would be a better test then some of the garbage their "stars" have served up recently.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
France might serve up less garbage if they rest PSA for the tour. The tests should be exciting during the unstructured phases of play as the French players will have a go when they have to play off the cuff. It's the structured parts of their game that they've really struggled with because there's not enough work going into it and the players are getting very little direction from their coach.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
From what I've seen of the French, maybe them bringing young guys who will give it their all and play as a team would be a better test then some of the garbage their "stars" have served up recently.

Actually you might be on to something here. Bring the younger blokes down that have something to prove and don't yet have the egos to massage. Either way, I think the series will be an interesting one.

However, it would be a shame to miss out on seeing guys like Picamoles play.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
At least they're not playing Homebush or the MCG or anything stupid like that. The ARU will be quite happy to pack out Suncorp and Allianz (Sunday afternoon!), and hope for a good crowd at Etihad.

The Etihad thing might not be a bad idea for a weekend away, but round ground with square fields... ugh.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Saturday afternon at the SFS Pfitzy.

I ended up just getting Category C seats behind the in goal for Sydney. I found it a little offensive that the Cat A sydney tickets are $139 compared to $119 in Brisbane and $99 in Melbourne.

After Wales sold so well as the SFS a couple of years ago, it's understandable that the ARU wants to cash in a bit. Hopefully the price gouging doesn't bite them in the ass.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
This is a bit disappointing but I have to agree with Querty that the best outcome for the ARU will be if the Wobs are playing well and winning. This will have a nice flow on effect for the rugby championship games. Even with a few players missing the French will be very competitive and still capable of winning games.

Lets not forget that the wobs are notoriously slow starters to the test season.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We really have to accept the fact that NH teams usually send a below strength touring party to our shores. The Loins are the honourable exception.

It will be fascinating to see what approach the Soap Dodgers take for their tour. They will surely pick their very strongest squad, they cannot afford to get thrashed a year out from their RWC.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
if you are umming and ahing over whether to go, and then don't bother going to the game, you should forfeit your right to complain about the ARU's finances. If you are a rugby fan and have the means, you should at least turn up to support the team and the game. my 0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.