• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Barbarians v Australia, Thursday 24 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lolohea has played one strong season of NRC. I really think he's only just appeared on the radar.

David played quite well in the first two NRC seasons. Took a moment to find his feet against pro props, but he wasn't out of his depth and kept the Rams scrum solid and competitive.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
David played quite well in the first two NRC seasons. Took a moment to find his feet against pro props, but he wasn't out of his depth and kept the Rams scrum solid and competitive.

Sure, but it wasn't until this year that he really came to prominence as one of the better props in the competition.

I think there's a compelling reason for a Super Rugby team to sign him now which wasn't evident last year.

As a Tahs fan, hopefully the training contract is enough to keep him in Sydney for 2017 and they can offer him a proper contract in 2018. I can't imagine the Tahs will need Ta'avao in 2018.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
No doubt these guys will be ripping but it is absolutely a friendly. It's not a Test match (counts for no caps) and there's nothing on the line (trophy, competition points, qualification etc) that I'm aware of anyway.
It still counts as a cap for a player (just a non-test cap) as it is a Wallaby XV, I believe.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
anyone know when the actual wallaby team will be announced?

That will answer some questions on who will be playing against Ireland.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Lolohea has played one strong season of NRC.

I really think he's only just appeared on the radar.

Last year Tom Robertson just appeared on the radar. Now he's a Wallaby. It was expected that Matt Sandell would transition to Super before him, though Sandell is theoretically a LHP (these days its hard to tell with Ta'avao and Ryan supposedly now LHP's).

If Lolohea goes well for the Baa-baa's and then has a strong preseason at the Tahs then there is nothing stopping him doing a Robertson and jumping over the incumbents. All it needs is for the Waratah scrum to go to custard like it did at the beginning of last Super season and the call will go out.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Sam Carter, Nathan Charles, Jack Dempsey, Sef Fa'agase, Scott Fardy, Nick Frisby, Mark Gerrard, Kyle Godwin, Andrew Kellaway, Peter Kimlin, Marika Koroibete, Jono Lance, David Lolohea, Luke Morahan, Ben Mowen, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Andrew Ready, Izaia Perese, Tom Robertson, Paddy Ryan, Will Skelton, Nic Stirzaker, Henry Vanderglas.

Notable inclusions that were added

Fardy, Morahan, Godwin, TN

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyway with a few of the backs positions likely to change a little, I see it like this:

1 Paddy Ryan, NSW Waratahs
2 Nathan Charles, Clermont
3 Tom Robertson, NSW Waratahs
4 Sam Carter, ACT Brumbies
5 Will Skelton, NSW Waratahs
6 Scott Fardy, ACT Brumbies
7 Jack Dempsey, NSW Waratahs
8 Ben Mowen, Pau
9 Nick Frisby, Queensland Reds
10 Jono Lance, Western Force
11 Andrew Kellaway, NSW Waratahs
12 Kyle Godwin, ACT Brumbies
13 Mark Gerrard, Toyota Industries Shuttles
14 Taqele Naiyaravoro, NSW Waratahs
15 Luke Morahan, Western Force

16 Andrew Ready, Queensland Reds
17 David Lolohea, Western Sydney Rams
18 Sef Fa’agase, Queensland Reds
19 Peter Kimlin, Grenoble
20 Henry Vanderglas
21 Nic Stirzaker, Melbourne Rebels
22 Izaia Perese, Queensland Reds
23 Marika Koroibete, Melbourne Rebels

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Pretty much

But is Dempsey more of a blindside than openside? Must be the closest to it

And I'd suggest Ready starts ahead of Charles.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Anyway with a few of the backs positions likely to change a little, I see it like this:

1 Paddy Ryan, NSW Waratahs
2 Nathan Charles, Clermont
3 Tom Robertson, NSW Waratahs
4 Sam Carter, ACT Brumbies
5 Will Skelton, NSW Waratahs
6 Scott Fardy, ACT Brumbies
7 Jack Dempsey, NSW Waratahs
8 Ben Mowen, Pau
9 Nick Frisby, Queensland Reds
10 Jono Lance, Western Force
11 Andrew Kellaway, NSW Waratahs
12 Kyle Godwin, ACT Brumbies
13 Mark Gerrard, Toyota Industries Shuttles
14 Taqele Naiyaravoro, NSW Waratahs
15 Luke Morahan, Western Force

16 Andrew Ready, Queensland Reds
17 David Lolohea, Western Sydney Rams
18 Sef Fa’agase, Queensland Reds
19 Peter Kimlin, Grenoble
20 Henry Vanderglas
21 Nic Stirzaker, Melbourne Rebels
22 Izaia Perese, Queensland Reds
23 Marika Koroibete, Melbourne Rebels

Too many Tahs in the starting XV, you need to bench a couple.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd be quite comfortable with the main squad members all sitting on the bench, but one who I'm sure will start is Koriobete. Cheika has said as much in a couple of interviews.

I'd also like to see Perese get a start rather than come off the bench.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
With just a day and a bit to go, we still have no run-on team, no captain and no vice-captain, and some on this forum still question why Rugby is touted as the fourth-most-important football code in Australia!!

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
With just a day and a bit to go, we still have no run-on team, no captain and no vice-captain, and some on this forum still question why Rugby is touted as the fourth-most-important football code in Australia!!

In all fairness this is the Wallabies equivalent of the Waratahs playing a B team in a pre-season trial.

Half the 23 won't even be eligible or considered for the Wallabies for a long, long time. Sure its abnormal and we could get worked up about it if we really tried, but does it really matter? Is it actually a big deal?

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
In all fairness this is the Wallabies equivalent of the Waratahs playing a B team in a pre-season trial.

Half the 23 won't even be eligible or considered for the Wallabies for a long, long time. Sure its abnormal and we could get worked up about it if we really tried, but does it really matter? Is it actually a big deal?

My mistake, Micheal. I thought it was a "National team", branded "Wallaby XV". I also thought that the team was to run out wearing the "Wallabies" jumpers.
You may feel comfortable to rate this team as "The Waratahs", and the French Barbarians as a "B team", but some of us here see it as more than that.

I can't believe that someone who professes to know a bit about the game, just dismisses this match as "a pre-season trial"!

You have obviously never worn your country's (or state's) colours in any sport, otherwise, you would think (and comment) differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.