• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Barbarians v Australia, Thursday 24 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've got to say guys, this game is nice and all, but seeing this team I've got to question why we're even playing this game. Has it got a clear development purpose for anyone other than Koroibete?

Surely the correct way to run a tour is:
  1. Pick large squad.
  2. Play midweeks during week 1 and 2 of the tour.
  3. Send players home to lighten the squad and costs.
Not, call a bunch of guys up in week 4 and send them home in week 5.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Well, I am pretty confused about just how Will Skelton has even justified a spot in the run on side. If it was to have a Wallaby as captain, Scott Fardy would have been a better choice imo. And if I'm not mistaken, Fardy has more Wallaby experience and test match experience than Big Will. Bad choice imo.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Tour match useful for further development of

3. Tom Robertson (NSW Waratahs), 7. Jack Dempsey (NSW Waratahs), 9. Nick Frisby (Queensland Reds), 10. Jono Lance (vc) (Western Force), 11. Taqele Naiyaravoro (NSW Waratahs), 12. Kyle Godwin (ACT Brumbies), 14. Marika Koroibete (Melbourne Rebels), 15. Luke Morahan (Western Force)
16. Andrew Ready (Queensland Reds), 17. Sef Fa’agase (Queensland Reds), 18. David Lolohea (Western Sydney Rams), 21. Nic Stirzaker (Melbourne Rebels), 22. Izaia Perese (Queensland Reds), 23. Andrew Kellaway (NSW Waratahs)

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
BR, I'd say Fardy is there just to make up the numbers, he might not even get on the field. Whilst it's apparent that he isn't going to be in the 23 for this week he's only an injury or suspension away from being there next week. He will be protected to some extent.

Skelton's there because it's the only game for the rest of the tour that he will be a part of. You might not like his inclusion in any team but the reality is he's part of the main squad and has been dropped, so of course he's going to get a game here. If there's an injury I'd say that Carter would be called in ahead of him now.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Well, I am pretty confused about just how Will Skelton has even justified a spot in the run on side. If it was to have a Wallaby as captain, Scott Fardy would have been a better choice imo. And if I'm not mistaken, Fardy has more Wallaby experience and test match experience than Big Will. Bad choice imo.

Fardy played a full game against France might have a niggle or just needs a break. Not too many days in between.

Anyone still on the tour who has not had much game time and did not start against France should start in this game.

So correct decision to have Skelton on the run on team. Same for Robertson.

Stupid for him to be captain though, not the brightest and won't last the whole game.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To be fair Mowen wasn't offered a ARU top up while Wallaby captain. So it was a lot of money.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

I don't think he was eligible under the ARU rules at that time.

He just got the shits, rolled out the old stuff about his family's future and took the money.

I don't blame him for doing so at all but it also showed a lack of commitment to Australian rugby, the captaincy blah blah.

Of course there was the Dublin incident (generally blamed on Mowen for dobbing out his 6 team mates - 4 of which were Tahs) after which it seems Mowen lost the confidence of the playing group - so he wasn't feeling the love

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I you look at the make up of the team it makes perfect sense to have Skelton there. There are four other quality jumpers including Mowen and Kimlin (on the bench), the former being a better line out operator than Simmons. Ready should be at 2 though, perhaps he's not being risked in case one of Moore or Latu gets injured on the captains run.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I you look at the make up of the team it makes perfect sense to have Skelton there. There are four other quality jumpers including Mowen and Kimlin (on the bench), the former being a better line out operator than Simmons. Ready should be at 2 though, perhaps he's not being risked in case one of Moore or Latu gets injured on the captains run.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

No doubt big Will will be raring to go and will rip in bigtime.

I really don't agree with the captaincy role but we have what we have.

It will be interesting to see if Skelton's captaincy/responsibilities can temper his aggression/mongrel/mindsnaps/fuckups blah blah

Can only wish him luck and offer congrats for getting the role.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

except Fardy isn't starting

It maybe one of those hail marys where you pick the yellow card/penalty magnet in the hope he grows a brain or they just picked the current wallaby pig with the most tests

I honestly wouldn't read too much into who captains a load of dirt trackers in a one off match, I expect little decision making required except lets kick for touch and go for it

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
No doubt big Will will be raring to go and will rip in bigtime.

I really don't agree with the captaincy role but we have what we have.

It will be interesting to see if Skelton's captaincy/responsibilities can temper his aggression/mongrel/mindsnaps/fuckups blah blah

Can only wish him luck and offer congrats for getting the role.

I reckon that's part of it, to make him think responsibly. Whether it works or not is another matter.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Team selection is fine for me, but like others have eluded to, why Skelton gets the nod as the big cheese I don't quite understand. Generally speaking it's a reward to the guy who actually shows leadership qualities which we haven't seen from Will at all.

You could say there are some similarities in Horwill and Skelton being made a captain as an attempt to curb their silly mistakes (it largely worked for James). But, the major difference was/is James is a natural leader who had some silly niggle to his game while Skelton just has niggle to his game without any leadership traits.

I'd love to see him prove me and us wrong, but we've been asking for him to do that consistently for some time now and it's getting a bit tiresome.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
except Fardy isn't starting

It maybe one of those hail marys where you pick the yellow card/penalty magnet in the hope he grows a brain or they just picked the current wallaby pig with the most tests

I honestly wouldn't read too much into who captains a load of dirt trackers in a one off match, I expect little decision making required except lets kick for touch and go for it

Reckon Cheika might write down some notes for him and he keeps it in his pocket during the game for those moments of decision making

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Even the pink koala brigade on here have left it alone pretty much

It is part of his secret Waratah/ARU contract

Fuck this stuff shits me. More often than not when a Reds poster criticises the selection of a Tah in the national side or shows a preference to say Quade over Foley their opinion is dismissed as one made with rose coloured glasses on, or petty parochial shit or some other nonsense.

There's been next to zero criticism in this thread of Skelton being given the captaincy yet two prominent Tah posters perpetuate this same shit that they often complain Reds/other franchise fans are generally responsible for.

You guys are both advocates for dropping the state biases when it comes to Wallaby discussions yet you post crap like this. Lift your games.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think he was eligible under the ARU rules at that time.

He just got the shits, rolled out the old stuff about his family's future and took the money.

I don't blame him for doing so at all but it also showed a lack of commitment to Australian rugby, the captaincy blah blah.

Of course there was the Dublin incident (generally blamed on Mowen for dobbing out his 6 team mates - 4 of which were Tahs) after which it seems Mowen lost the confidence of the playing group - so he wasn't feeling the love

His main reason was that due to his on going neck problems, the plane travel he was having to do for both super rugby and wallaby games he was in almost constant pain.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fuck this stuff shits me. More often than not when a Reds poster criticises the selection of a Tah in the national side or shows a preference to say Quade over Foley their opinion is dismissed as one made with rose coloured glasses on, or petty parochial shit or some other nonsense.

There's been next to zero criticism in this thread of Skelton being given the captaincy yet two prominent Tah posters perpetuate this same shit that they often complain Reds/other franchise fans are generally responsible for.

You guys are both advocates for dropping the state biases when it comes to Wallaby discussions yet you post crap like this. Lift your games.

o_O

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
His main reason was that due to his on going neck problems, the plane travel he was having to do for both super rugby and wallaby games he was in almost constant pain.

Scoey
You are obviously just a nice bloke (with incredible rugby insight, NORMALLY:)). I'll just say he is still playing top rugby.

I however stand firmly behind my comment.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Scoey
You are obviously just a nice bloke (with incredible rugby insight, NORMALLY:)). I'll just say he is still playing top rugby.

I however stand firmly behind my comment.

I could be wrong too of course. That's just what I remember happening. I also get the young family thing.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

:)

You are correct, I absolutely despise the state bias crap because in 98% of cases it's a fallacy. In this instance I needed the sarcasm/humour font or I should have at least added a smiley. I was just throwing one back at the 'flower mafia' garble from last week..

TBH I was surprised at the lack of critcism about it, regardless of anyone's allegiances.

Status
Not open for further replies.