• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Barbarians v Australia, Thursday 24 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is a meaningless tour match. Excited some players get a chance but the result means little. It's about giving some individuals a chance.

I think getting concerned about not knowing the starting team now is a little over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1. Paddy Ryan (NSW Waratahs)

2. Nathan Charles (Clermont)

3. Tom Robertson (NSW Waratahs)

4. Will Skelton (c) (NSW Waratahs)

5. Sam Carter (ACT Brumbies)

6. Peter Kimlin (Grenoble)

7. Jack Dempsey (NSW Waratahs)

8. Ben Mowen (Pau)

9. Nick Frisby (Queensland Reds)

10. Jono Lance (vc) (Western Force)

11. Taqele Naiyaravoro (NSW Waratahs)

12. Kyle Godwin (ACT Brumbies)

13. Mark Gerrard (Toyota Industries Shuttles)

14. Marika Koroibete (Melbourne Rebels)

15. Luke Morahan (Western Force)

Reserves

16. Andrew Ready (Queensland Reds)

17. Sef Fa'agase (Queensland Reds)

18. David Lolohea (Western Sydney Rams)

19. Scott Fardy (ACT Brumbies)

20. Henry Vanderglas (Grenoble)

21. Nic Stirzaker (Melbourne Rebels)

22. Izaia Perese (Queensland Reds)

23. Andrew Kellaway (NSW Waratahs)

24th Man: Henry Clunies-Ross (Lyon)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It is indeed, I hadn't noticed that. Probably twofold - 1) he's the most capped (I think) representative from the main squad who is starting, and 2) might make him focus on his discipline.

Pretty handy looking team though!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

RR, is that the official team, or your personal selections?

If official, I am bewildered about the selection of Nathan Charles over Ready, and Mark Gerrard over Perese. And Andrew Kellaway is unlucky to miss a starting spot as well.

I sincerely hope that Will Skelton isn't a "lead from the front" style of captain. Won't be much to inspire the rest of the troops if so.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if there was some agreement with some of the players joining from European sides that they would be starting?

Either way you'd expect the inexperienced bench players to get plenty of time as it is their only game on tour.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
People on the "WTF Australia Rugby" page are losing their shit about the Skelton captaincy.

What is that? Even when I Googled it I couldn't find it, but I guess the name sums it up!

Even the pink koala brigade on here have left it alone pretty much, it makes sense to have one of the members of the main squad as the captain v. a one off appearance by Ben Mowen. For a game like this what's the issue?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
What is that? Even when I Googled it I couldn't find it, but I guess the name sums it up!

Even the pink koala brigade on here have left it alone pretty much, it makes sense to have one of the members of the main squad as the captain v. a one off appearance by Ben Mowen. For a game like this what's the issue?

Sorry, I miswrote the name.

It's a pretty large facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/140771069451453/

It's always good to have more rugby in my feed, but as you can tell from the name it's a very negative place. 90% Chieka bashing, anger over lack of rugby on free tv, and asking obvious googleable questions "where's the rugby on tonight?".

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It is part of his secret Waratah/ARU contract

Yeah people are going off about this on the FB group above, as I said.

Which is funny, because one could easily make the argument that whilst Skelton is not the perfect captain, neither is Mowen who:
  1. Will rock up to camp within 48 hours before the match.
  2. Chose money over the Wallaby captaincy and the WC.
I'm not shitting on Mowen and his decisions, just saying there's a devil's advocate view.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Meh. I don't love it. Even if you want a domestic player as captain, Ryan, Frisby, Lance and Stirzaker have captaincy experience at NRC and/or Super level.

But it's a tour game. Who cares.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Meh. I don't love it. Even if you want a domestic player as captain, Ryan, Frisby, Lance and Stirzaker have captaincy experience at NRC and/or Super level.

But it's a tour game. Who cares.
Yeah, but Skelton has is only one who's consistently been in the Wallaby squad and has lived the patterns of play and systems they're using day in and day out.

To be fair Mowen wasn't offered a ARU top up while Wallaby captain. So it was a lot of money.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

Absolutely, and he was also relatively older. Sensible decision - just a devil's advocate opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom