• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

G&GR Wallaby of the Year: OZ vs Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
3 - bennnnnn - how he didnt get man of the match proves that people just dont care about front rowers!
2 - giteau - finally
1 - pocock/smith - both played well, half point each for a half each

I

Inconceivable

3. Gits
2. Pocock
1. Smith

Wish I had some points for Fat Cat

Scotty

David Codey (61)
3. Alexander (was everywhere in the loose and tight, and played an important part in two tries plus another mid field break)
2. Pocock
1. Smith

Honourable mention to Robinson, Giteau and Genia. Plus Wayne Barnes had a good game, although a few 50/50 offside calls went against us.

Dishonourable mention to the Welsh defense. We probably should have put 6 tries through them at least.

S

Spook

Scotty said:
3. Alexander (was everywhere in the loose and tight, and played an important part in two tries plus

Glad you noticed him. Thought he was outstanding as well.

unsub god

Herbert Moran (7)
3- Pocock
2- Robinson
1- Genia

I don't think we would have won as easily without Pocock's dominant 1st half. Robinson really disrupted their scrum (again) and Genia cleaned up a lot of the Welsh kicked ball and generally took the right options.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Plenty of good players today.

3. Giteau - His best game for a long while
2. Openside (Pocock and Smith)
1. Genia - Magic under the high ball for such a vertically challenged bloke.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
3 Pocock
2 Robinson
1 Elsom

Special mention to Alexander, Horwill, Mumm and especially Wayne Barnes.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
3 Pocock - fantastic work
2 Fat Cat - not just for awesome scrumming, some great play in the loose and at breakdowns
1 Giteau - well, who'd have thought he looks good at second receiver?

Honourables - Smith, Genia, Alexander who would all have got points in other games, just that more played well this week
I fully agree Barnes was good - despite what Kiwis say he is a damn good ref in my eyes, and reffed the breakdown and scrums well. And that included plenty against the Wobbs, who were sloppy at times in that aspect.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
3 Pocock - Set up the win for us
2 Giteau - Welsh had no idea about him
1 Smith - Lifted the team after they switch off in the second half

I thought Wayne Barnes had a really good game. i think he is the best ref going around at the moment. Unlike in most games every time he penalised us I agreed with him. The rucks were clean too.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
cyclopath said:
I fully agree Barnes was good - despite what Kiwis say he is a damn good ref in my eyes, and reffed the breakdown and scrums well. And that included plenty against the Wobbs, who were sloppy at times in that aspect.

Any match Barnes controls always looks good, I'll say that for him. But I felt last night he favoured the home side a bit. It's annoying to see a ref unduly interfere in the administration of the minutiae of the Laws and Wayne certainly had his micrometer screw gauge out. The pitch had contrasting mown sections across it (what a good idea!) allowing all and sundry to see numerous lines at offside and forward pass. Neither Hynes' nor Palu's penalties early in the game were valid as the mowed lines showed them to be inline with the kicker/last Aussie ball toucher. The Welsh pass to the right wing called back for being forward was also in error as was Elsom's pass to Hynes on our right which was adjudged to be knocked on. But the worst decision was Mumm for being offside when Hynes quite clearly put the whole Wallaby team onside by running from behind the kicker. Don't these TJs/ARs talk to each other? There were at least two occasions when the Welsh chaser was in front of the kicker and not penalised. But the one which pissed me off the most was the knock-on late in the match when Barnes was riding shotgun and watched the Welsh half-back bunt the ball back into the Welsh ruck only for Wayne to yell out "ball knocked backwards". Off to the optometrist, son.

This test was a wonderful advertisement for attacking (and defending) rugby. Barnes' numerous minor errors didn't affect the result, thank goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.