• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

G&GR Wallaby of the Year: OZ vs Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
NTA said:
3 Robinson
2 Pocock (would have gotten three if he'd stayed on)
1 Alexander

Backs are poofs and don't deserve any points when the forwards are so utterly dominant. The best of them was actually Digby - Giteau basically did the same shit he did all year but came up against a Welsh backline with about as much starch and appeal as my sweaty sack after three days and 2100km across western NSW.
Sometimes, Nick, less is more!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, finally watched this.

3 - Ben Alexander. Superb.
2 - Dave Pocock.
1 - George Smith

Let's get these all in men (and women??) so we can announce the final winner on Friday!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Very hard to go past the pigs, magnificent performance by all 10.

3. David Pocock
2. Ben Alexander
1. Dean Mumm

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
3. George Smith - the master - absolute champion game and one for the true believers - age shall not weary them!
2. Bam Bam Pocock - the master's apprentice - he's going to be the Richie McCaw of 2011+
1. Matt Giteau - best game for yonks - ran straight and directed the game well (although not quite up to Dan Carter's standard against Le Frogs)

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
alright, just so everyone knows, not trying to start an argument, just curious, if you are recognising the front rown and there dominance, how can you rate ben alexander above bennnnnnnnnnn?

i thought they both had superb games, but just thought robinson was brilliant, both in loose and he won us a few tightheads and made his opposite look like shite to the point were he swapped sides.

again, not arguing, just wondering why you rank him higher?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Righto, time to get off the fence then.

3. Giteau
2. Robinson
1. Genia

Pocock and Smith were superb, but cant bring myself to award points to players who were only on the field for half the game, when several others played well for 80 minutes. Each was the standout for the forty minutes he was on.

Great game from Alexander and Cooper looked quite assured.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
alright, just so everyone knows, not trying to start an argument, just curious, if you are recognising the front rown and there dominance, how can you rate ben alexander above bennnnnnnnnnn?

i thought they both had superb games, but just thought robinson was brilliant, both in loose and he won us a few tightheads and made his opposite look like shite to the point were he swapped sides.

again, not arguing, just wondering why you rank him higher?

I thought Alexander had a few touches in the loose that 1. led to a try and 2. led to a 40m break, while also doing his job in the tight. To be honest, he probably got rated higher than Robinson for me because we are coming to expect that quality standard from Robinson. He is without doubt the Wallaby of the year, by a long way and I have no doubt that is how the overall voting on this site will come out.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yep, I agree with Scotty. Alexander's effort was definitely a big improvement on his usual game. Robinson's more or less what you expect.

S

Spook

Cutter said:
Yep, I agree with Scotty. Alexander's effort was definitely a big improvement on his usual game. Robinson's more or less what you expect.

Actually, quite a typical performance from him now he is obviously getting use to scrummaging at THP. He's been doing as much work as Fat Cat around the pitch on this tour.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, I thought Ben Alexander had a slightly better game than Benn Robinson too - not to say that they both weren't very very good. Alexander had a very noticeable runs and, I thought, did a bit more work than usual in the tight. Robinson didn't get his usual turnover/penalty on the deck this game as well. So, Alexander shades it for me.

Although, that first scrum where Robinson doesn't get the chance to bind as the Welsh TH goes straight into the hooker - I thought that Robinson now has a reputation as a destructive scrummager and the Welsh TH was trying to get a sneaky quick one up in the first scrum. Good to see that international scribes are starting to recognise Robinson and Alexander as quality props as well. Those two plus either of the hookers could end up forming the best front row in Wallabies history.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
Cutter said:

Actually, quite a typical performance from him now he is obviously getting use to scrummaging at THP. He's been doing as much work as Fat Cat around the pitch on this tour.

I think Alexander's workrate is what will make him very special going forward. I don't think he is that much better scrummager than the other THPs (including Baxter) but his workrate ............................... the others are just passengers in comparison.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i'd point out that alexander's skill set is much better at this young age than the more senior THPs as well. his ball carrying and passing are a huge step above baxter's and others. add that to the effort he shows as you've mentioned and you have a special player. that over the top pass to rocky was straight out of mortlock's playbook.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
anyone remember where Mr Alexander first really came into the rugby eye?

Twas the defunt ARC wasn't it? Hmmmm...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Teary eyed Noddy? We can't live in the past (as much as many of us would like to be back in '99).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agreed. Don't know how much we lost on the ARC, but I reckon if its produced a world class THP then perhaps its worth it?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
i'll do mine again, since there are no half points etc.

1. Pocock
2. Smith
3. Ben alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.