• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GAGR Vote - Should Deans go after the EOYT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
David Campese says Australia coach Robbie Deans should be sacked
David Campese, the former Australia wing, has lambasted the Wallabies for their inability to score tries and he has called for head coach Robbie Deans to be sacked.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...tralia-says-david-campese-20121115-29dpo.html

Campo is on board
Brendan Cannon called for Deans head 12 months ago and was ridiculed for it.

I hope when the axe drops it's not forgotten who was the first media personality with enough guts to make the call.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
So had I have gotten my shit together and learnt how to post a "poll", I could have had actual numbers, but in summary:-

It is not so much a general concensus, more an almost unanimous verdict.

Very interesting to see the amount of support for Link.

Seems a change is in the wind.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Brendan Cannon called for Deans head 12 months ago and was ridiculed for it.

I hope when the axe drops it's not forgotten who was the first media personality with enough guts to make the call.

Yeah Wayne Smith should be remembered. Smith was calling for his removal and questioning the very process of selection well over two years ago, but I can't be bothered any longer to dig up the articles. Canno was the first ex-player and commentator still in Australia to public say he had lost confidence in Deans. Campo of course was well ahead of the curve. Given the vitriol his latest comments have been met with I am not surprised that one of the best Rugby minds Australia has produced doesn't even live here anymore.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I remember hearing about the Johns brothers using their afternoons in Newcastle when they were growing up to kick bombs into garbage cans from all over the local park.
I use to use buckets, spent hours a week just kicking into buckets from one end of the field to the other. Broke a lot of buckets, but didn't play for Australia. Should have used garbage bins.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SMH think he passed Green and Gold's Own Bob Dwyer last weekend, as reported in RugbyHeaven.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
David Campese says Australia coach Robbie Deans should be sacked
David Campese, the former Australia wing, has lambasted the Wallabies for their inability to score tries and he has called for head coach Robbie Deans to be sacked.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...tralia-says-david-campese-20121115-29dpo.html

Campo is on board

Deans response was that Campo was always welcome in the Wallabies shed. Funnily enough isn't that what he said about Cooper - always welcome back. I think "always welcome back" means something different in Dingo talk to what it means in English.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wouldn't put it past Dingo to select Campo in the 23 and then play him at #10 off the bench if Campo did in fact come back into the "Wallabies Shed".

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
At least if that happened Campo wouldn't produce poorly executed kicks or hit a forward runner off every play.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
Can't help but wonder if Deans could talk straight, whether we would all be more receptive to him. I mean, can anyone decipher this:
"The key focus has been to take the meaning from it and put that learning into practice for this week both through our preparation and then on to the game itself," Deans said of the French defeat."
What absolute crap. If he just said we were shit last week, we have to do a whole lot better or make way for people who will, I would respect him a lot more.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Can't help but wonder if Deans could talk straight, whether we would all be more receptive to him. I mean, can anyone decipher this:
"The key focus has been to take the meaning from it and put that learning into practice for this week both through our preparation and then on to the game itself," Deans said of the French defeat."
What absolute crap. If he just said we were shit last week, we have to do a whole lot better or make way for people who will, I would respect him a lot more.
Spot on Loki74, he waffles, he dribbles, says a whole lot of nothing and then pulls that stupid Dodo bird grin and nods.
How does he motivate and inspire professional athletes into a confrontational physical battle?
Would you want to play for him?
The greatest coaches are more respected than liked....he's too nice and lacks mongrel.
Where's the passion?
Also, what's going on in the coaching box? Anytime they cross there during coverage there is seemingly zero communication between him and his other coaching staff and no evident emotion. It's the same whether the Wallabies have scored or had a player sin binned or conceded their 3rd scrum penalty in a row.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
according to my stats, Dwyer is still the man.

Will throw some stats up tomorrow.

Spiro Z seems to think that Dingo has now been in charge of 68 tests to Bob D's 67.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...line-in-northern-festival-20121109-29336.html

Mick Davies also quotes 68 tests under Dingo here:http://www.smh.com.au/national/sack-deans-says-angry-campese-20121115-29eto.html

There is no detail as to how they have arrived at these numbers, so I would be prepared to accept a rational and objective alternate list from RugbyReg over a hack from Fairfax.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Deans response was that Campo was always welcome in the Wallabies shed. Funnily enough isn't that what he said about Cooper - always welcome back. I think "always welcome back" means something different in Dingo talk to what it means in English.

I think Giteau was supposedly "welcome back" too.

However, he seems to think differently.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, the Deans v Dwyer thing, from my records we have the following:

Bob's first stint started in 1982 v Scotland (the infamous Ballymore test when he picked a couple of Ella's ahead of local lads Gould and McLean. Wallabies lost, Gould and McLean were returned to the side, and we won. In Sydney). So his career is broken down as:

1982 = 5 tests
1983 = 7 tests
Then he was ditched for Alan Jones who coached from 1984 until the end of 1987 (finished with the Arg tour after the RWC), then Bob returned for the 1988 season.
1988 = 8 tests
1989 = 6 tests
1990 = 7 tests
1991 = 10 tests
1992 = 8 tests
1993 = 8 tests
1994 = 6 tests
1995 = 8 tests

And that was it for Bob, Greg Smith taking over at the dawn of professionalism in 1996, leaving Bob with 73 tests over 10 years (split in two periods).

Robbie started after Knuckles Conolly got the arse following the 2007 RWC. His breakdown is as follows

2008 = 14
2009 = 14
2010 = 15
2011 = 13
2012 = 12 (to date)

So over this 5 year period he has coached the Wallabies on 68 occasions.

I reckon there's a slight chance he will be boned after this tour, but I think more than likely he will do a McQueen and coach the Wallabies v the Lions (3 tests) and then stand down (or otherwise) after that allowing someone else to take over at the end of the Super Rugby season, for the Rugby Championship.

The 2nd option obviously brings him up to 74 tests.

By the by, current win %ages (I believe) of our coaches are:

1st) McQueen 79.07% (34 wins from 43 tests)
2nd) A. Jones 70% (21 from 30)
3rd) Connolly 64% (16 from 25)
4th) Smith 63.16% (12 from 19)
5th) Dwyer 63.01% (46 from 73)
6th) E. Jones 57.89% (33 from 57)
7th) Deans 56.72% (38 from 68)

I don't have details on some of the older coaches such as Tempo, Brock etc. unfortunately. From this I reckon one man hardly done by is Knuckes, who actually had a decent coaching record including beating the ABS once and pushing them most times the Aussies played them.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Heard a rumour that if the Wallabies don't win this weekend Dean will be gone (was a 3rd hand story). Not sure that it has much credibility as it would be crazy to axe him mid tour. I guess Nucifora would be the candidate to step in if it was to happen.

If there is any coach-stays-or-sacked decision making more utterly stupid than that based upon 'if we win the next game or two' assessment criteria, I don't what it is or how to describe it.

Yet to add disastrous misjudgement to fours years of pre-existing folly, this seems to be precisely the manner in which the hapless and self-admiring ARU board is approaching the question of Deans' survival.

A proper evaluation of a national coach should be based upon a thorough, fact-based analysis of historical achievement and the gradual accumulation of data as to how that person has, inter alia, not only won the key games, but equally the objectively assessed depth and quality of game plan development, skills development, and individual player development across (say) the country's 30 top players of recent years. Then, this analysis framework should be applied forward as what further and better development is targeted for the next two or so years of team evolution and growth. And in this manner a coach is properly assessed based on long-line achievement (or otherwise) linked to forward-looking team goals. This method knows that coaches don't suddenly transform themselves or their team management style and capability over night; a few games, despite the results either way, will change nothing fundamental, no important truths will alter.

The manner by which the ARU seems to be approaching a late 2012 Deans decision indicates the very opposite of this method - '......just one more victory Robbie and all will be well, one or two bad losses, hmmm, that could spell trouble for you......'. It's like assessing a corporate CEO who's barely kept the business afloat for four years, the firm is losing market share and cash flow, yet its board say 'one month or two of a small profit and you'll survive for now'. That simple but accurate analogy shows just how laughable, inept and reckless is the ARU's approach. And it's reckless in the extreme when we consider that after December 1 v Wales there is not a single further Test until BIL 1 at Suncorp in June.

The ARU board is a frightening case study in introversion, 'ex-Wallaby-to-ex-Wallaby code of fawning silence' so's to stay in the lucrative old boys' rugby networks, inadequate business and strategic sports management skills and, above all, the lack of the very 'courage and character' attributes they message out to their media minders whose job it is to pump up the compliant and lazy mainline rugby media we have in Australia today.

We fans - and the code as a whole - look like paying a shocking price for this board's lack of courage, character and appropriate competence.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If there is any coach-stays-or-sacked decision making more utterly stupid than that based upon 'if we win the next game or two' assessment criteria, I don't what it is or how to describe it.

Yet to add disastrous misjudgement to fours years of pre-existing folly, this seems to be precisely the manner in which the hapless and self-admiring ARU board is approaching the question of Deans' survival.

A proper evaluation of a national coach should be based upon a thorough, fact-based analysis of historical achievement and the gradual accumulation of data as to how that person has, inter alia, not only won the key games, but equally the objectively assessed depth and quality of game plan development, skills development, and individual player development across (say) the country's 30 top players of recent years. Then, this analysis framework should be applied forward as what further and better development is targeted for the next two or so years of team evolution and growth. And in this manner a coach is properly assessed based on long-line achievement (or otherwise) linked to forward-looking team goals. This method knows that coaches don't suddenly transform themselves or their team management style and capability over night; a few games, despite the results either way, will change nothing fundamental, no important truths will alter.

The manner by which the ARU seems to be approaching a late 2012 Deans decision indicates the very opposite of this method - '..just one more victory Robbie and all will be well, one or two bad losses, hmmm, that could spell trouble for you..'. It's like assessing a corporate CEO who's barely kept the business afloat for four years, the firm is losing market share and cash flow, yet its board say 'one month or two of a small profit and you'll survive for now'. That simple but accurate analogy shows just how laughable, inept and reckless is the ARU's approach. And it's reckless in the extreme when we consider that after December 1 v Wales there is not a single further Test until BIL 1 at Suncorp in June.

The ARU board is a frightening case study in introversion, 'ex-Wallaby-to-ex-Wallaby code of fawning silence' so's to stay in the lucrative old boys' rugby networks, inadequate business and strategic sports management skills and, above all, the lack of the very 'courage and character' attributes they message out to their media minders whose job it is to pump up the compliant and lazy mainline rugby media we have in Australia today.

We fans - and the code as a whole - look like paying a shocking price for this board's lack of courage, character and appropriate competence.
Well put, RH.
But do we actually know what thought and / or discussion has gone on with regard to the coach, apart from oft-posted rumours on here about "he needs to win the next game, or 2 games or whatever", no disrespect to Jets and others who have posted such rumours? I struggle to believe the process is so capricious. I think it's more likely that the complete lack of transparency and accountability leads us all to hypothesise about such odd decision-making processes, or indeed lack thereof. My real concern is the possibility that a successor has been all but anointed, save for a token talent quest, and that it is Nucifora, and the silence from the ARU is more ominous. But that is just hypothesis on my part! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.