• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bit harsh, they are a very young side. Lots of guys there that wouldn't be playing 1st grade at other clubs.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This week we will see an interesting change of pace from the wicks. The back three look a nice blend of power as well as speed. Connor is a turn over merchant and always on the ball, Samu is very strong on his feet and very good on the breakthrough and Lam hits like a train.
Backline looks like they will have a go but the halfback has to stop taking a few steps to get clear air as this allows a few more steps for the defence.
Looking forward to seeing this outfit run but as the coach has already said, they might be up against an experienced outfit in the rats.
I see the 'long ' fellow is on the upword climb. I think he is short a bit of fitness but he will be a handful once he gets to the speed of australian game.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
This week we will see an interesting change of pace from the wicks. The back three look a nice blend of power as well as speed. Connor is a turn over merchant and always on the ball, Samu is very strong on his feet and very good on the breakthrough and Lam hits like a train.
Backline looks like they will have a go but the halfback has to stop taking a few steps to get clear air as this allows a few more steps for the defence.
Looking forward to seeing this outfit run but as the coach has already said, they might be up against an experienced outfit in the rats.
I see the 'long ' fellow is on the upword climb. I think he is short a bit of fitness but he will be a handful once he gets to the speed of australian game.

I think you've summarised the situation perfectly Sid.
I agree Carrick-Smith will be in 1sts pretty soon. He showed a big improvement last week.
I'd suggest this is close to the backline that Kelly would have planned at the start of the season and I reckon he'll stick with Boileau at half as he has a better running game than Helliwell: once he gains confidence.
This team is a work-in-progress for the long term --- no short term miracles expected!
The scrum is still a worry but maybe C-S's bulk will help.
I also note that David Parsons has shifted into the lock position in 2nds this week so he maybe up for a promotion shortly; he's been in great form so far this year.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The coach's dilemma - there is great promise in Boileau, particularly in his pass but maybe, just maybe, Helliwell might be needed right now.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
In my humble opinion, you are correct, very classy backline - I think the half would be better after a season in colts, put Helliwell up - Toby Browne very unlucky. Forwards are losing the collision, they all have good CVs, wonder why they have yet to produce. Jack Littlejohn looks the goods and will be up to first grade standard when he learns the game a bit more. Great to see the lower grades shining

Agree about Littlejohn.
He looked all at sea in the trials and in the first couple of games but he's improving with every game and noticeably growing in confidence. He's very good at chiming into a backline and creating an overlap -- almost a lost art these days!

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Very pleasant afternoon at rat park.
Fourth grade Wicks 40 rats nil
Third grade Wicks 32- rats 10
Wicks took a while to get into gear before gaining the upper hand
Second grade Wicks 84 - rats13 wicksrunningthe rats rugged. The wicks winger Brock Davies getting the best of his side of the field with 4 or 6 tries. The 'Longfellow' played in this team and went very well. Particularly impressed with his keeping up with the winger and full back on a breakout. My bet is he will be in the mix in the next few weeks for first grade.
Now to first grade. Am taking odds on coach Kelly going grey or bald from tearing his hair out. Bald first if today is anything to go by.
The programme team was not the one that was run out but i thought the wicks should have won anyway. They attacked out wide all afternoon, but the Rats defence was very well organised . In tight the rats were very hard and got a number of turnovers due in the main from the wicks not having enough personnel at these moments . Connor for wicks did very well as did Speechly and the rest of the forwards. In this battle the game was even with perhaps a slight gain for the rats.Wicks had some trouble at the line outs from bad throws but settled down in the second half
The backs did some very good things but slightly predictable. Horwitz went well and looked composed. The half had a good game but he still likes his two or three steps first. There were a few openings for him but he passed instead. Coaches direction I would think.
When they rats brought on Harvey you knew which way they were going. They had the breeze and he kicked.even so the wicks attacked and nearly pulled up another try in the dieing minutes.
A minute twenty after the bell Harvey kicked a fifty meter field goal to give the rats a win by one.
That's two the wicks let go.

rugbysik

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting that Horwitz is being reborn as a #12.

All his school footy he was a #10, for 2011 Aust Schoolboys debut, and his Yr 12 NSW Schools I team where he was Captain, but unwanted for 2012 Schoolboys.

I wonder what Cheika has in mind for him following the work he did with the Tahs in the preseason - #10 or #12?

Horwitz played 12 and 13 from year 7 up till midway through year 11 where he moved to 10, just 2 games before being picked for gps 2.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not too proud to admit being wrong in my facts. Thought he must have got to 10 with Schoolboys from a background as 10 from juniors. My source was based on him playing for Bays when they were 12 aside at about under 11's.

He is one that Easts will be upset about. (Hope I've got this right) but all his Junior club footy has been for Easts.

Coach Kelly seems to have initiated a bit of a migration South down the eastern beaches across the enemy frontlines to Enemy HQ at Latham Park/Brook Street.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Can't add a lot to Sid's match report:
(1) the only change to the Wicks run on team was Koteczky replaced Hepetema at 13
(2) David Harvey was on the bench for the Rats, replaced by Scott Bradley
(3) Horwitz first touch of the ball in 1st grade was an in-and-away and pass to Aho to score in the corner (classy!)
(4) major improvement in the Wicks scrums: they even took a tight head in defence and received several scrum penalties
(5) best for Wicks were Lam and Samu (limped off: worry!) and Horwitz looked like he'd been playing 1sts for ever
(6) if the Wicks can learn to close out games after being on top they'll be very competitive (lead by 9 with about 15 mins to go)
(7) jury still out on Matehaere at 10 at this level, Browne offered more variety in 2nds than he has in 1sts and might be back up
(8) I don't often praise refs but I thought Leckie done good
(9) Wicks scored 4 tries to 3 (Waratah Rugby website review is incorrect and so is the list of scorers (Lam scored a try, Samu 1 not 2)
(10) Brock Davies scored 5 tries in 2nds, could have been 6 as he unselfishly passed to a team mate over the try line after the bell
(11) final word -- bloody field goals should be only worth 1 point :mad:

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Coach
Ah field goals, especially when it stops the best team winning - which team played the better game?
I'd like to see a converted try worth 8 points, penalty still 3 as it needs to stop infringements, but yeah the field goal 1.
Leckie, yeah I've seen him ref some great games

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Coach
Ah field goals, especially when it stops the best team winning - which team played the better game?
I'd like to see a converted try worth 8 points, penalty still 3 as it needs to stop infringements, but yeah the field goal 1.
When Dan Rawaqa booted a field goal to take our lead to 6 points deep in the second half on Saturday I would have been happy for it to be worth 10 points!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coach

I'm obviously biased but I didn't think the Wicks deserved to lose, they played so much better than last week.
But I don't want to take anything away from the Rats.
Although they trailed on the scoreboard (or were level) for most of the game they hung in there.
To be fair, it was a great field goal from halfway or near to it.
But I've always though the effort to score a try (most times) is out of proportion to a field goal.
Out of interest, I can't remember any Wicks team even attempting one EVER!
There is a rumour that they're banned at the club -- might be something to do with that little white haired guy who doesn't believe that rugby balls are meant to be kicked!

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am with the coach as to who played the better rugby. Rats were predominantly up the middle when they had the ball. They were very tough but were matched by Wicks defense for most of it.
They did end up with extra numbers out wide a few times but did not capitalise at the time.
It was interesting to see Killingsworth at 8 ( where he had a very good game) . He and Tom Connor were 6 and 7 at their school.
I like a good field goal and Harveys was a very good field goal - very south african, and excellant use of the wind. Having said that , prehaps tries should be given an extra point. This was the origonal argument when tries went from 3 to 4 then 5 , if i am not mistaken.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
But I've always though the effort to score a try (most times) is out of proportion to a field goal.
Out of interest, I can't remember any Wicks team even attempting one EVER!
There is a rumour that they're banned at the club -- might be something to do with that little white haired guy who doesn't believe that rugby balls are meant to be kicked!
Drop goals aren't our favoured method of scoring either but sometimes you've just got to get some points on the board, any way you can. Maybe my memory is failing but I seem to recall a certain D Knox being a fairly handy exponent of the drop goal. Happy to be corrected.

But we play to score tries.
Entirely as the Game should be played - Parra have scored 22 tries in our opening five matches, as has Manly.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Kelly has stuck with the young backline with Hepetema back in at 13 to replace Koteczky.

Ingram replaces Speechley at lock (unlucky, played really well against the Rats, I thought).

Neither Ingram nor Hepetema played last week.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not too proud to admit being wrong in my facts. Thought he must have got to 10 with Schoolboys from a background as 10 from juniors. My source was based on him playing for Bays when they were 12 aside at about under 11's.

He is one that Easts will be upset about. (Hope I've got this right) but all his Junior club footy has been for Easts.

Coach Kelly seems to have initiated a bit of a migration South down the eastern beaches across the enemy frontlines to Enemy HQ at Latham Park/Brook Street.

Something to do with a Scots College connection! Plenty of Scots best cattle played their junior rugby with Easts Wallaroos! Hope the trend is a one year thing!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Something's got to give folks!
Penrith 46 v Randwick 428 across the grades and colts is not sustainable.
I accept there are people working really hard to make Penrith competitive, but I'm afraid they're going backwards.
Penrith 1st grade had beaten Randwick in their last 2 visits to Coogee but the annual raid on the club by other clubs (including several to Randwick) has seen them back to where they were several years ago.
On Saturday:
(1) at 10:45am Penrith only had 4 players for 4th grade going through an unenthusiastic warm up on the sideline
(2) the bus arrived about 11am and the players strolled to the change room and eventually straight onto the field without a warm up
(3) 3rd grade took the field with 13 players, a couple of 4th graders eventually made up the numbers
(4) Wicks 3rds had a 4 try bonus point after 11 minutes
(5) it was obvious that several Penrith 3rd and 4th graders were playing out of position and were totally unfit
(6) 2nd grade at least looked like a team, but still got flogged
(7) I stand to be corrected but I'm fairly sure the 1st grade coach didn't even go to the change room at half time

Sorry, Penrith but this is not good enough.
ARU, NSWRU, SRU, somebody, anybody: help please !!!

Hard to tell whether Wicks 1sts were as good as they looked as the opposition, whilst willing, just wasn't up to 1st grade standard.
Horwitz continues to impress, his passing is amazing.
There was one occasion where he received the ball and passed it back inside like a bullet all in one motion that was so quick that none of us believed what we'd seen. Only one of his passes (about 25 metres) didn't hit the intended receiver in the bread basket.
I'm really looking forward to watching his ongoing development. Hope the Waratahs leave him in club rugby for at least this year.
Matehaere at 10 also looked great and showed how a 10 who has options can keep the defence guessing.
Old hands at Coogee were saying they hadn't seen a Wicks backline perform like this seen the Ella days (but how good was the opposition?).

Significantly again, no kicks for penalty goal and only 1 kick in general play (a chip and chase) from the Wicks.
Running rugby is alive and well at Coogee even when the rain was belting down!

Next week v Norths will be a good test of where this team is at in its development.

Status
Not open for further replies.