• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Aussie Rules coaches were brought in years ago by Sydney Uni assistant coach to teach their fullbacks how to place their kicks precisely to send opposition back for lineouts deep in their zones. Norton at fly half does it really well. I believe Randwick would benefit from the same coaching. Running Rugby cann't become predictable Rugby.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Hey MACCA! Hey Grislechewer!
Reports on Colts on the weekend Lads? Anyone? I heard 12th hand that all the games were top shelf.
C'mon Coach, chase up one of these guys for match reports!
Agree with everything that MACCA said and that all the boys put in particularly the 3's which set the tone for the day. Really gutsy stuff with some questionable decisions just being let go and defended brilliantly. Some big smiles back in Brook St later on from a lot of very tired men. All three grades should be very proud of themselves

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Should be a feast of running rugby at Coogee this Saturday with both Souths and Wicks playing similar attacking styles.
Hope the ref can keep up!

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
With the exception in the firsts game, the refs will be running from the kick off to where Randwick scores mostly. I can't see Southern Districts' teams scoring too much with the exception of 1st grade, I tip Southern Districts to win in 1sts. Randwick have promoted two more deserving colts, Jack Johnson no.7 and Andrew Norton no.10, both from colts 1sts to 2nd grade.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agree with everything that MACCA said and that all the boys put in particularly the 3's which set the tone for the day. Really gutsy stuff with some questionable decisions just being let go and defended brilliantly. Some big smiles back in Brook St later on from a lot of very tired men. All three grades should be very proud of themselves
Agree Chewer the 3rds setting the tone was really important last week and will be again this week. Those 3rds I have to admit, looked average, until they formed up and started to warm up, then they looked so confident, organised, well drilled and coached. Their body language had changed completely through the entire game. Those coached are giving them more than Rugby skills.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hey Pedro,

You have been silent for a fair period of time.

Is your boy now at the Wicks?

You used to be a fairly reliable reporter on Stannies Games from ISA.

Will you be firing up on the ISA threads or have you retired?

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hey Jarse, yes one of son plays for the galloping greens now. My next son is happy to run around for the lowest grade, so no I won't be reporting for Stannies 1sts. My next son on is a good footballer and plays for Stannies 16As who have been Stannies best performers this year. Two other lads from last years Stannies and one from All Saints were recruited by Easts just before the comp started, they were all selected to play for Country Cockartoos. Randwick colts 1sts beat Easts that day so my son was happy. lol

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good to see some old school rivalry continue on into colts.:)

I presume that we'll see you back on the Stannies threads next year then when your next boy graduates to opens.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
"The NSWRU has advised that this week the Referees will be setting up a sports ears receiver at Coogee Oval – this means that spectators/coaches will be able to use their sports ears to listen in to the Referees as they do at Super Rugby games."

Wow, fancy being able to hear what the refs are saying in club games!

A pity this wasn't available when Flip was still refereering :D

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
"The NSWRU has advised that this week the Referees will be setting up a sports ears receiver at Coogee Oval – this means that spectators/coaches will be able to use their sports ears to listen in to the Referees as they do at Super Rugby games."

Wow, fancy being able to hear what the refs are saying in club games!

A pity this wasn't available when Flip was still refereering :D
Honestly Coach, I think it would be better if the powers that be set up SPORTS EYES, so the ref could see what all the crowd seems to :)

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Another glorious day at coogee with quite a large crowd and plenty of little children running around. Word must be getting out as there are lots of faces that have not been seen for a while.
A second clean sweep for the Wicks today. One hopes that this becomes habit forming.
Fourths up 75-10 with plenty of running rugby. Brothers Weatherall played together for the first time ever.
Thirds won convincingly in the end as they ran away with it in the second half.
Seconds seemed a bit listless in the first half but opened up in the second half to win 62-19. Some highlights were Norton showing brilliant feet and good vision . Crowd favourite and unlikely to be let back to Colts.
Davies on the wing is very very hard to bring down. He needs more practise in positional play in defence but improving every week.
Longfellow getting more mobile each week and Heliwell being very gritty as usual. Seconds will face their biggest challenge next week.
On to the first grade.
Souths opened with apenalty they missed from in front but the ran the ten through a large hole to brink up the first five points after four mins.
Wicks had no ball for the first ten minutes but as soon as they did get it they scored through lam. It seemed that both teams were going to run and trade tries all afternoon.
Slowly the forwards led magnificently by Lam and Samu got the upper hand and scored through a maul.
A wag in the crowd expressed that this was running rugby at its best- probably an old hooker.
Horowitz in the back line has silky hands and put Hepetema into a gap only four inches wide. Wicks getting the upper hand when a squirted ball was picked up by the winger who ran sixty to score for souths.
This was followed by a nice run by souths five for a very soft try as the wicks started falling off tackles. Souths now on top when Samu breaks up the middle and two offloads later Lam is over a minute before half time to lead 26-22.
Wicks started poorly in the second half in attack with some dropped ball. They did however up their intensity in defence which loosened a few teeth before getting back into gear in attack.
Souths Hart got a yellow for something done on their try line and Wicks went on all out attack spurning penalty shots for a crack at the line- very refreshing.Finally the forwards got another try by ??? - probably Samu or lam who were in the thick of everything.
33- 25 with two minutes to go when souths ran out from their line and made nearly 70 meters before the wicks defence got them.
A scrum to souths at the bell and Wicks got a Tight Head to close it out.
A tremendous team effort with some cameo standouts from the backs Horowitz and Hepetema .
Given the type of game the Wicks are playing, they will be very dangerous if they are within ten points with twenty to go as some others will runout of puff.
Oh - it's good to be the underdog.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Good report Sid!

From where I was sitting (a long way away) it looked like Hart was carded for sliding into the tackle feet first (dangerous tackle?) to stop a try, but I may be wrong.
The Souths lower grade coaching staff sitting near me were amazed that the Wicks didn't kick the ball in general play and didn't take any shots at penalty goal. They were scratching their heads in amazement.
This running rugby stuff is high risk and the Wicks did make a lot of mistakes at their own end of the park, but OMG it's entertaining when it comes off.
The pass from Horwitz was worth the price of admission; a definite talent this kid. The speed and precision of his long cut out passes are a revelation.
BTW with Tim Wright not playing the average age of the backline was about 21.
Tough ask across all grades and colts next week v Uni and it will be very interesting to see whether there's any change in approach re kicking in general play and penalty shots.
I thought Jed Holloway had a big game for Souths and scored a great try.
Best for Wicks were Lam and Samu (as usual) in the forwards and Horwitz, Matehaere (getting better every week) and Lautolo in the backs.
The 2 front rowers Asa (5) and Aho (3) have now scored 8 tries between them.
I'm predicting a shortage of space boots in the not too distant future; there seemed to be heaps on display on Saturday!

PS: Norton very impressive in the 2nds.

Running rugby is alive and well at Coogee and the crowds are back!

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I heard that First Colts, although they won, missed Norton as well as a few of their other regular backline and so made heavy weather of it. It will be interesting to see if he goes back to colts for the Uni game.
Against Uni the Wicks are going to have to make less mistakes or they will be punished but it would be a sad day if the game plan changed and kicking was reintroduced.
Rather go down having a crack than resorting to kicking.
I thought Volavola played into the Wicks hands when he started to clearance kick from his line. The Wicks full back was exceptionally deep and had plenty of time to work out his return running options. This continually asked questions of the defence and kept the Wicks tails up.
Set piece could be a problem looking to Uni but the wheels certainly seemed to have stopped moving backwards in the scrums. Coach - Is this a front row thing as not much else has changed?
I also have to give a few wraps to the seven, who must have woken up with very sore shoulders on Sunday. He had the number 8 Timani running at him all day and gave him about 30 kg by the look of it.
From where I sat, Sths escaped a brace of penaltys as their 13 could easily have worn a green shirt for most of the day and their 2 spent most rucks at the back feet on the greens side.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I heard that First Colts, although they won, missed Norton as well as a few of their other regular backline and so made heavy weather of it. It will be interesting to see if he goes back to colts for the Uni game.
Against Uni the Wicks are going to have to make less mistakes or they will be punished but it would be a sad day if the game plan changed and kicking was reintroduced.
Rather go down having a crack than resorting to kicking.
I thought Volavola played into the Wicks hands when he started to clearance kick from his line. The Wicks full back was exceptionally deep and had plenty of time to work out his return running options. This continually asked questions of the defence and kept the Wicks tails up.
Set piece could be a problem looking to Uni but the wheels certainly seemed to have stopped moving backwards in the scrums. Coach - Is this a front row thing as not much else has changed?
I also have to give a few wraps to the seven, who must have woken up with very sore shoulders on Sunday. He had the number 8 Timani running at him all day and gave him about 30 kg by the look of it.
From where I sat, Sths escaped a brace of penaltys as their 13 could easily have worn a green shirt for most of the day and their 2 spent most rucks at the back feet on the greens side.

I agree with you Sid, I'd prefer them to stick with the running-no-kicking game, but I'm a bit concerned that will play into Uni's "field position above all else" approach and mistakes at the back are what Uni thrives on. I liked Koteczky at the back rather than Ford on Saturday. He's a bit calmer and takes better options IMO. Kick return has been a strength and weakness this year, depending on the support.

I know most old front rowers reckon the locks don't push, but the Wicks scrum problems seem to have gone away since Ingram and Vatadroka came together in the 2nd row. Witness 2 tight heads against Souths on Saturday.

Tom Connor plays well above his weight at #7 and fits the Randwick success mould of years gone by ie a smallish but quick-to-the-breakdown flanker.

I thought Souths were lucky not to have more than 1 yellow card as the ref seemed to give at least 3 final warnings, including a 2 minute debate with the Souths captain.

I think Norton is in 2nds due to injuries as much as his good form in colts.
Where he plays will, I suspect, depend on who's available.
Interesting that he was also a reserve for 1st grade, but didn't get on the park.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tom Connor reminded me of a mini Pocock in more ways than one, when I saw him on ANZAC Day vs Beasties.

I think he has a bright future ahead of him as he is still only young (ish).

Status
Not open for further replies.