• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Poor lad has had a rough trot of late (since U16's) with injuries. Hope he has an injury free season.

Based on recent reports with how Horwitz is performing, the Wicks would have some potency with Roods at 13 and Horwitz at 12.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Poor lad has had a rough trot of late (since U16's) with injuries. Hope he has an injury free season.

Based on recent reports with how Horwitz is performing, the Wicks would have some potency with Roods at 13 and Horwitz at 12.

I agree, but Terence Hepetema is going well at 13 as well.
I expect Horwitz may move to 10 at some stage this year.
This week's game v Norths will be an interesting test for the young backline (average age < 23 I believe).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I should have added "in the future as they mature and adapt to Grade, semi professional and professional Rugby" to the last sentence of my previous post.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I should have added "in the future as they mature and adapt to Grade, semi professional and professional Rugby" to the last sentence of my previous post.
Interesting selections through the lower grades. Players returning from injury and long layoffs being promoted to the top grades whilst others being put in the cellar.
Also note that Jack Littlejohn is playing Rugby League for the Bulldogs in the NSW Cup.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting selections through the lower grades. Players returning from injury and long layoffs being promoted to the top grades whilst others being put in the cellar.
Also note that Jack Littlejohn is playing Rugby League for the Bulldogs in the NSW Cup.

MACCA, are you sure this is the same guy?
I notice he is playing half back at the Bulldogs whereas he was playing FB with the Wicks and he was assisted from the field with what looked like a knee injury a few weeks ago unless my memory is confusing me (again!).

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
MACCA, are you sure this is the same guy?
I notice he is playing half back at the Bulldogs whereas he was playing FB with the Wicks and he was assisted from the field with what looked like a knee injury a few weeks ago unless my memory is confusing me (again!).
I am sorry to confirm that it is definitely the same guy. I think it is disappointing as he was showing promise. He would have gone on a second tier contract is my guess and is probably on $40k +. He had previously played NSW cup for Newtown under a second tier Roosters contract.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am sorry to hear that wicks seem to have lost a potentially good player, and no one can blame a young sportsman from getting paid for the effort they put in and thus leaving the rugby community for fairer pastures.
however, I think we ,in the rugby community, pay too much lip service to the potential external player ,instead of developing the talent that is keen to have a go, is prepared to do it for fun and with the right backing will become very good players.
Having watched the Wicks through all the grades, I feel that even in fifth grade there are players with talent who just need to have a chance and with help will become very good players and the Backbone of this successful club
I would much rather see the club players making it to higher grades than outsiders coming in for a year in order to further their private careers.

Look forward to the Norths game to see where the club is at through the grades - eh coach

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I am sorry to hear that wicks seem to have lost a potentially good player, and no one can blame a young sportsman from getting paid for the effort they put in and thus leaving the rugby community for fairer pastures.
however, I think we ,in the rugby community, pay too much lip service to the potential external player ,instead of developing the talent that is keen to have a go, is prepared to do it for fun and with the right backing will become very good players.
Having watched the Wicks through all the grades, I feel that even in fifth grade there are players with talent who just need to have a chance and with help will become very good players and the Backbone of this successful club
I would much rather see the club players making it to higher grades than outsiders coming in for a year in order to further their private careers.

Look forward to the Norths game to see where the club is at through the grades - eh coach

Absolutely correct!

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
wicks won first grade39-20
They were the better team and deserved their win which can be put down to committed defence and strong attack.
Norths had the Wick measure down their left side and managed a couple of very good try's by running around the edges in the first half. The wicks steadied and Latolo stayed strong on his feet to score two very good try's.
At25- 10 the game was in the balance . Both teams were at it hard but nths started to make some errors. However they managed a score out wide and at 25-15 they must have thought they were on the way back.
Wright ran a lovely line to be put into a hole with a beautiful pass by ??? To score under the posts.Nths got a yellow for a tip tackle and the Wicks started to incasevthe pressure with great running in attack and stinging defence.They were hunting as a pack of voracious wolves which led to a try by Aso off a very good pass from Hepetema. At 39-15 Norths started to make quite a few handling errors caused in the main from the relentless pressure from the whole wicks team. To their credit they threw everything at the line and finally scored on the bell.
this will give the wicks team a huge confidence boost and if they can bottle their attitude there today, they are going to make other teams very nervous.
seconds kept their winning ways as did thirds and fourths.
Lovely day all around.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
wicks won first grade39-20
They were the better team and deserved their win which can be put down to committed defence and strong attack.
Norths had the Wick measure down their left side and managed a couple of very good try's by running around the edges in the first half. The wicks steadied and Latolo stayed strong on his feet to score two very good try's.
At25- 10 the game was in the balance . Both teams were at it hard but nths started to make some errors. However they managed a score out wide and at 25-15 they must have thought they were on the way back.
Wright ran a lovely line to be put into a hole with a beautiful pass by ??? To score under the posts.Nths got a yellow for a tip tackle and the Wicks started to incasevthe pressure with great running in attack and stinging defence.They were hunting as a pack of voracious wolves which led to a try by Aso off a very good pass from Hepetema. At 39-15 Norths started to make quite a few handling errors caused in the main from the relentless pressure from the whole wicks team. To their credit they threw everything at the line and finally scored on the bell.
this will give the wicks team a huge confidence boost and if they can bottle their attitude there today, they are going to make other teams very nervous.
seconds kept their winning ways as did thirds and fourths.
Lovely day all around.

Wicks won all grades and all colts -- WOW!
Including a big win over Norths in colts 3's -- Norths were undefeated leaders before today
PS: The pass to Tim Wright was from Nio Halangahu: the #10 in a hooker's body!

Best for Wicks were Samu, Lam, and the two props Asa and Aho in the forwards, Matehaere outshone Daruda in the backs, Lautolo was unstoppable and Boileau seems to have stopped taking a few steps before passing which gave the backs more time and space.

I thought Brown and Windon were the best for Norths, Tuatara-Morrison was kept quiet all day, AJ Gilbert was perpetual motion.

Another big game against Souths next week at Coogee.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Coach
The half back took no steps when passing right to left but still steps when passing left to right. He is definetely on the improve and i imagine this is purely a strength consideration. He was in the thick of it at the weekend and defintely stepped up.
The 'Long fellow ' is still a few weeks away from the intensity of first grade and Speechly should be first inline if not in the run on. As you say, Lam and Samu were outstanding in a very fine team display.
The Norths 14 and 15 had terrific tow but they seemed to get overwhelmed in the second half.
Ford at full back was in great voice all afternoon and showed some very fine stepping in the second half. His first few meters of accelerataion are electric. I recall a Williams some years ago having that sort of accelaration.
There was some very tall timber in the Norhs line out but yet wicks held their own for the most part.
Lets see what Souths can do , but quietly confident that a similar display from Wicks will get a similar result.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coach
The half back took no steps when passing right to left but still steps when passing left to right. He is definetely on the improve and i imagine this is purely a strength consideration. He was in the thick of it at the weekend and defintely stepped up.
The 'Long fellow ' is still a few weeks away from the intensity of first grade and Speechly should be first inline if not in the run on. As you say, Lam and Samu were outstanding in a very fine team display.
The Norths 14 and 15 had terrific tow but they seemed to get overwhelmed in the second half.
Ford at full back was in great voice all afternoon and showed some very fine stepping in the second half. His first few meters of accelerataion are electric. I recall a Williams some years ago having that sort of accelaration.
There was some very tall timber in the Norhs line out but yet wicks held their own for the most part.
Lets see what Souths can do , but quietly confident that a similar display from Wicks will get a similar result.

Thanks Sid, I agree with your analysis and I'll have a look at Boileau's left-to-right next week.
I was sitting within hearing range of the Wicks coaching staff in the first half and there was some criticism of Ford on a couple of occasions. Before Littlejohn went back to league I thought he would have put a lot of pressure on Ford for the FB spot. I think Ford (after several years in first grade) still takes some poor options, but I agree about his speed off the mark. Not sure he's in the Brendon Williams class yet though!
I don't know about you but I got the distinct impression (going by the noise level) that there were more Wicks supporters there than Norths. Looked like a pretty poor crowd given Norths position on the ladder. I know it's a big ground but if it wasn't for ladies day the place would have been empty.
Lam must be attracting the interest of the S15 talent scouts, if he can stay fit.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Hey MACCA! Hey Grislechewer!
Reports on Colts on the weekend Lads? Anyone? I heard 12th hand that all the games were top shelf.
C'mon Coach, chase up one of these guys for match reports!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Hey MACCA! Hey Grislechewer!
Reports on Colts on the weekend Lads? Anyone? I heard 12th hand that all the games were top shelf.
C'mon Coach, chase up one of these guys for match reports!
I saw the last 20 minutes of 2nds and then 1sts.
The 2nds had a big lead and then let up and Norths were coming home hard - Wicks held on to win.
The 1sts was a cracking game. For mine, the game involved the Wicks playing attractive creative Rugby and Norths playing very solid defensive football. Norths were rushing up in defence and targeting Norton & Nicholson. From memory, Wicks tries were mostly resulted from classic backline play. Anderson was very hard to stop.
Norths tries were from an intercept and a big prop running in following sustained penalties & pressure resulting in an overlap.
Norths pounded Randwicks defence which held out admirably - the class in the backs gave Randwick the edge.
Both teams played well

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
A note on Randwick's colts coaching well done all the coaches the colts are starting to look really good. Mental toughness needed for top focus. Seems everyone has their hand up for the ball near opposition line, but a try saved is a try made not so many volunteers to tackle in the last few minutes.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
My observation about running Rugby is a bit like tennis, if you don't try to put one past the man at the net they keep coming across the net. Same with Rugby if you won't kick it over the fullback he soon wakes up & keeps coming up into the attack. I have seen Randwick colts fullbacks sent back to fetch a ball constantly keeping him out of the attack. Randwick refuse to do it except Norton, so it ends up Randwick's 14 against the opposition's 15 & Randwick eventually gets worn down. I believe you have to punish an opposition fullback for coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.