• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The Wicks season was marred by a very high injury toll in the backs, not so much the forwards. It was only in the last 2 comp rounds that we were able to field the same backline -- every other game had different backlines. One of the key factors in this IMO was the relative youth and corresponding lack of body development of the very young backline which many weeks had an average age of less than 21 and included several 1st and 2nd year out of school players. If you have 18-20 year olds up against men in their mid twenties who've had the benefit of several years in the gym injuries are almost inevitable. With Rees-Hole I assume not returning next year we need to balance the young rock stars in the backline (ie Boileu / Donlan, Horwitz, Kellaway, Roye) with some bigger, more experienced players like Ma'afu.

BTW, Toa tweeted a few weeks ago that he was finishing his career at the Wicks which sounded like this might be his last year. Anyone have any news about this?

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Coach - I think you'll be lucky to see much of Kellaway next year. I think Alofa Alofa's Waratahs wing spot has his name on it.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coach - I think you'll be lucky to see much of Kellaway next year. I think Alofa Alofa's Waratahs wing spot has his name on it.

You might be right Gibbo, but I really have a problem with 18-19 year olds being rushed into S15. He's only played 5 1st grade games. There's also Betham and the big guy from Parra competing for the wing spot.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That Manly pack did monster our boys, the rolling maul from lineouts was on roller skates. We simply had no answer. They are exceptionally big, but we need to compete better at breakdown and set piece against the likes of manly eastwood and Uni. When we had the ball going forward vs Manly at the start of the second half we looked really good.

that young side needs a physical mature halfback to lead them around. Pat Phibbs would be ideal

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Yes he is, not sure of current club, but he is a local bloke who enjoys the beach and surely is getting home sick???

Unfortunately his dad says he also likes wine and although I believe he's playing with London Irish the French vineyards are not far away. BTW, he's 33 this year so must be getting near the end of his career.

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
I've had to be elsewhere so relying on the ABC TV replay to be taped at 3am on a Tuesday morning to get my Wicks fix.

Manly are a juggernaut this year. Wicks were gallant.

From a club perspective seeing what you have versus what is going on in the QRU - the problems are very much first world for Randwick.

From facilities, to player depth, to management, to physical size to the style of rugby at Randwick it is hands down superior.

The depth of playing talent the club has in grade and colts is great. The coaching structures and obviously the physical training is so far advanced than QRU. My first thought after watching QRU was how in the hell are the Reds competitive given the state of play in their premier club comp.

Having not been around for a few months and to compare apples and apples a lot of what you have at Randwick is to be appreciated. There can always be improvement but what you have is good.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Thanks George - maybe Queensland may have more opportunity for aspiring Wicks players than other States -just like the Brumbies once was. love the irony in that. Your comments regarding strength of the competitions is also very relevant given NRC selections.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I notice applications closed for 1sts coach last Friday.
Anyone know what the process is and who is making the decision and by when?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I notice applications closed for 1sts coach last Friday.
Anyone know what the process is and who is making the decision and by when?
applications were to be addressed to Nick Ryan, although I'm not sure what the setup is like with the Football club board these days.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Look forward to the selection but 'whoever' has to make selected players contest their positions against all comers.
Also bring back the junior clubs to do the Wicks BBQ on game day

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I notice Rees-Hole is in the Country Eagles Development squad.
I thought he was heading back home to Wales???
Most of the good young talent from the Wicks is in the squad as well -- good to see

Status
Not open for further replies.