• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

George Smith to sign with Australian Super Rugby team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
George Smith is only 32, he's far from finished. Maybe over there in Australia, 32 is considered "old" (you do have an exceptionally young Wallaby side, and we're all quite jealous), but the guy is pure class. After a few seasons in Toulon, we got to see him play for Stade Français as a medical joker and the guy has definitely still got it (the backrows Lyons-Smith-Parisse for SF and Van Niekerk-Smith- Fernandez Lobbe for Toulon were amazing).

And, btw, he played 9 for Toulon, but something like 15 minutes and due to injuries + sin bins. He did start at 12 for Stade Français though, at the semifinal of last season's Amlin cup against Toulon. Toulon's 12 was Matt Giteau.

T

Train Without a Station

No mickey. He was australias best flanker when dean's started Poey over him, I won't be shocked if he still is.

Exactly. Pocock never surpassed him. Deans just replaced him on potential. Has only assisted the limited Australian game plan.

6.5? ACT Crusader you are kidding yourself. This bloke basically invented the pilfering flanker.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Can't believe the tripe floating around on this issue.
Apparently George's 3 month stint with the Brumbies will be very bad for Australian rugby, because he should have been 'directed' to the Force of the Rebels.
George is a Brumby through and through, and he said that in S15 he would play only for the Brumbies (in my opinion, he left way too early anyway).
We are lucky at the Brumbies that we can instill such a sense of loyalty in a champion of the caliber of George Smith.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There has been talk by some of him playing in the John I Dent Cup. Whilst I highly doubt he will play any club rugby during his stay in Australia, on the off chance that he did, surely he'd go back to playing for Manly?

As much as he's a loyal Brumby, he's also a loyal Marlin.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Er, Josh Kronfeld?

Joshua Adrian Kronfeld (born 20 June 1971) is a TV Presenter and a former rugby union footballer who represented New Zealand at international level and Otago, the Highlanders and Leicester at first-class level. During his international career, Kronfeld played in 56 games for the All Blacks, gaining 54 test caps, including appearances at both the 1995 and 1999 Rugby World Cups.
Kronfeld played as an openside flanker, and his greatest attribute was considered to be the speed with which he was able to get to breakdowns in play, in order to gain or regain possession of the ball.
(from Wikipedia)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There has been talk by some of him playing in the John I Dent Cup. Whilst I highly doubt he will play any club rugby during his stay in Australia, on the off chance that he did, surely he'd go back to playing for Manly?

As much as he's a loyal Brumby, he's also a loyal Marlin.

Brumbies players only play for JID teams....... but he won't play any club rugby........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm doubting Colby Fainga'a is that excited.

I would say that Jake is anticipating both Pocock and Mowen being with the Wallabies. Signing George will give perfect cover for positions 7 and 8 in that eventuality. Colby will get a lot of game time regardless.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
''He is a quality person, a quality player. He is going to surprise a few people with how good he is, how sharp. We will have to make sure we don't do him any favours when we go down there to play,'' Cheika said, adding Smith would never play for any Australian Super club other than the Brumbies.
''It's a bit of a no-brainer. I know from being with him. He would probably rather eat poison than play in another colour apart from the Brumbies' colours. I know that. It'll be great if he gets to play against us. I look forward to trying to send someone out to give him a little tickle.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/smiths-return-a-challenge-even-for-pocock-warns-cheika-20130225-2f205.html#ixzz2Lxawybij

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would say that Jake is anticipating both Pocock and Mowen being with the Wallabies. Signing George will give perfect cover for positions 7 and 8 in that eventuality. Colby will get a lot of game time regardless.

There is only one Super Rugby match in June that the Wallabies won't be available for.

Barring injuries, it would seem highly likely that George Smith will just take Colby's bench position until he leaves for Japan.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There is only one Super Rugby match in June that the Wallabies won't be available for.

Barring injuries, it would seem highly likely that George Smith will just take Colby's bench position until he leaves for Japan.

Pretty much this.........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wikipedia misses the important point that Kronfield invented the off-side No 7 play that Richie has come to perfect.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think it'll be interesting to see if G Smith still plays the same way he used to. While 32 isn't ancient, he's the same age as McCaw who most people would probably say has slowed down a step and has changed his game to still be as effective and as dominant.

Without the rigours of Test rugby, is Smith's body not as battle-wearied as perhaps the likes of McCaw?

I have to agree with ACTCrusader in regards to starting him over Pocock. 12 months ago, Pocock was probably rated - at a minimum - the No.2 flanker in the world. Are you saying that George Smith was No.1?!

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
What happens re his insurance? Is that sorted? I remember last year there was some problem with getting insurance for a player from Japan looking to cover 10 for a while?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think it'll be interesting to see if G Smith still plays the same way he used to. While 32 isn't ancient, he's the same age as McCaw who most people would probably say has slowed down a step and has changed his game to still be as effective and as dominant.
Without the rigours of Test rugby, is Smith's body not as battle-wearied as perhaps the likes of McCaw?
I have to agree with ACTCrusader in regards to starting him over Pocock. 12 months ago, Pocock was probably rated - at a minimum - the No.2 flanker in the world. Are you saying that George Smith was No.1?!

Lets' wait and see, the guy is a freak.
Pockock is good over ball, as is George, then the rest of what George brings Poey doesnt have yet.
I would have loved to see them play against each other.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He has to return to Japan in June, and will only be here for the short-term......

He's a legend of the game, but he hasn't played this level of rugby for a few years and he won't, and shouldn't make the starting XV unless there's injuries.

What he'll provide is excellent backrow cover off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.