• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Gits signs with Toulon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)

Superstar back Matt Giteau has signed with French club Toulon until 2013.

The ACT Brumbies stand-in skipper is expected to announce his overseas deal today.

Giteau was always expected to take his career abroad after the World Cup at the end of the year.

The 28-year-old has played 91 Tests for the Wallabies and has 89 Super Rugby caps.

He will captain the Brumbies for the first time in the opening match of the Super Rugby season against the Waikato Chiefs at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

Canberra Times

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
funny, if it wasnt a world cup year he would probably have been dropped from the wallabies, but great timing. good on him, hope he has fun in the mugging and rape capital of france.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Although we all knew it was happening, I think its a shame to have lost him before he's even hit 30.

Our depth isn't that great that we can afford to have blokes like Gits pissing off with 5 good years left in them.

Couple of injuries to Quade & Berrick and we're in trouble at 10. That's assuming Quade stays with the ARU too.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Onya Gits. You have had your critics but I think after 80 odd tests, and plenty of good times you deserve a good send off, even if you do later return. I am not your biggest fan but you have handled everything almost faultlessly when lesser men would have publicly mouthed off in frustration.

A good servant of Aussie rugby, and hope he comes back in a couple of years time to contribute a bit more.

T

TOCC

Agree Barbarian, im dissapointed his leaving and hope that he gets the send-off he deserves, there arent many players who come close to playing 100 tests for their country

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not unexpected in the least and I'm with those who hope he has a big season this year. Depth in the inside backs can't hurt. Still, at the moment, you wouldn't pick him in the starting XV on form.

T

Thomas

I wish he'd stay because you can't get 90 odd caps without having at least some skill.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I am happy he is going and I hope his time away leaves him in good stead for his return.

Reactions: DPK

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm grateful for his service but I must admit I haven't ever been a fan of his. I'm glad he's going to France and not that wretched Island, though.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
for what it's worth, his tweet on the subject....

Signed with Toulon for 18 month deal after world cup! Love the brumbies and wanna make this yr as enjoyable as I can. Exciting times!!

D

daz

Good riddance is all I'll say. I have a lot of respect for his sister. None for him.

This is just immature and petty. Yes, you too naza.

Did Gits steal your lolly bag when you were younger or something?

Gits may not have been at his best over the last few seasons, but he has given Australian rugby in general, and the Wallabies in particular, very good service over many years. Why can't you just say thanks, farewell and good luck for the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.