• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS (NSW) Rowing 2014

who will win

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
What is the priority at the Shore sheds beyond the 1st VIII? It looks they are fielding the 1st IV first before the 2nd VIII to keep Ubergang happy?
Interesting thought given his success rate - but one of life's extremely modest people. There are a number of factors at play, but basically he works with the leftovers from the top 16.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
What is the priority at the Shore sheds beyond the 1st VIII? It looks they are fielding the 1st IV first before the 2nd VIII to keep Ubergang happy?

Hmm - think LC Robson Memorial Trophy has greater significance to Shore than the Yaralla Cup, and they have won 2nd 8s 8 times and 1st 4 6 times since Garry took over the 1st IV.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
My Lord, Joeys favourites to take the big one next year based on todays results with Shore at their heals. Looking forward to the months of racing ahead and hopefully blue and white get the spoils, though to be honest wouldnt mind if Joeys got up either as has been a while.

Cheers,
MR

Rowing for Life

Bob McCowan (2)
My Lord, Joeys favourites to take the big one next year based on todays results with Shore at their heals. Looking forward to the months of racing ahead and hopefully blue and white get the spoils, though to be honest wouldnt mind if Joeys got up either as has been a while.

Cheers,
MR
Shore was rating about 32 most of the race

footytime

Stan Wickham (3)
anybody have any insight between what happened between joeys and shore boys near the launching pontoon at sirc on saturday around 12:30-45?

I have been told from several witness' of a group of boys from joeys and shore pushing and shoving eachother until broken up by parents and coaches

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
any idea what Joeys were doing ? definitely looks to be a 2 horse race. anyone out there to give some insight ?

MR

House Stark had a 16 second margin on the other crews, so were hardly pressed by any other Houses but still posted a respectable 6:03. There was a fair bit of blue water between them and House Hodor & House Huffenpuffle with Houses Baratheon and Greyjoy needing to pick up their games. Houses Hodor and Huffenpuff obviously duked it out for second with Hodor claiming 2nd. House Targaryen were more pressed in their division and did 6:05 with only a length and a half over House Tully. Of course, as noted earlier Targaryen were only out for a paddle, it seems...

As I have said before, it's still a long way to go and one swallow does not a summer make (sounds dodgy these days….) The House Tully Iron Cup down at Jesuits Landing is next but that is really a picnic regatta and should be turned into a bumps race, be more fun to watch if crews jumped into old boats and really created a spectacle.

S

Shun

Does anyone know anything about the training these lads go through at this stage of the season? Some spectacular times and it's only the first race!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Does anyone know anything about the training these lads go through at this stage of the season? Some spectacular times and it's only the first race!
All I know is that they don't flog themselves up sand hills, go for ten mile street runs, do countless burpees, drink litres of sustagen to make weight, eat steak for breakfast, do hill sprints up steep roads to the third telegraph pole or polish their wooden boats with detergent before a race. Something must be working for them....

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
No I was out there and the early sessions the conditions were perfect. As the squalls neared by mid morning (necessitating cancellation of final 2nd VIII race & GPS sculling trials) a tail wind did gather but nothing affecting the VIIIs racing at 8:45 to 9am. I think you'll find not dissimilar times from the Joeys event last season for the winners…. though maybe a second or two faster.

S

Shun

All I know is that they don't flog themselves up sand hills, go for ten mile street runs, do countless burpees, drink litres of sustagen to make weight, eat steak for breakfast, do hill sprints up steep roads to the third telegraph pole or polish their wooden boats with detergent before a race. Something must be working for them..

Haha too right! And they're only going to keep getting better! Phenomenal stuff. What are everyone's tips for GPS sculling? I hear it's been postponed all the way back to February at the Kings Regatta. Should give the lads some extra time to get fitter and sharpen their bladework.

Cracker

Frank Row (1)
All I know is that they don't flog themselves up sand hills, go for ten mile street runs, do countless burpees, drink litres of sustagen to make weight, eat steak for breakfast, do hill sprints up steep roads to the third telegraph pole or polish their wooden boats with detergent before a race. Something must be working for them..

Devo this is silly

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Just a heads up from the Iron Cup at Jesuits Landing…. Sydney Uni took out the Gold Cup (I think) for the seventh year. At least this year they were pushed by SRC who had a pretty gun crew and made a fist of it. Scots came third and no doubt were pleased beating SRC 2 (though they were probably a scratch crew put together at the last minute) but always good to beat guys a couple of years ahead of you. The times were much faster in the finals but, apart from finals racing tactics, the tide was coming back in at this stage (HT at 6pm) and would have sped things up. Interesting that Joeys won their heat (a blanket/photo finish with SRC 2 and Iggies) but scratched themselves from the semis. Shore and Iggies were saddled with Syd Uni & SRC 2 in the semis and though it was a tight race between second, third and fourth, Shore and Iggies were bundled out. Scots has a slightly easier run in their semi (Joeys scratched) and had to account for Kings and Syd Uni 2 (which they did by about 5 secs margin.)

All up its a hard indicator of real schoolboy form due to all the tides, doglegs, the fact that some crews have to row around just to start, pleasure boat traffic etc. (in past years I've seen boats sail up the middle of the course whilst a race has been in progress!) Any word on form from each of the schools? The second eights look like a three way contest between Iggies, Shore & Joeys. Looks like the new House Tully sea fortification has put a spring in the Jesuits foot stretchers.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Haha too right! And they're only going to keep getting better! Phenomenal stuff. What are everyone's tips for GPS sculling? I hear it's been postponed all the way back to February at the Kings Regatta. Should give the lads some extra time to get fitter and sharpen their bladework.
I think it depends on whether coaches rate it as a KPI. At this stage of the season, a lot of coaches use sculling to identify who can move a boat well. Doing the trials later may take some attention of it as it's not long before the big one. The boys may be fitter, though sculling in itself is a great way to get fit - you can't hide! But I suspect sweep will be priority for most by then. Still, if you want to make the Combined GPS you have to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.