• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS Sports Ranking (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
MOTH, rowing is included, just left out of my example. I suspect that many rowers will qualify as there were many singlet tans proudly on show at Homebush on Friday nights.

so what was the school ranking.

No doubt many rowing athletes will feature in "athlete of the year" type considerations, but I was more curious in seeing the playing field for top dog school honours being more level.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While schoolboy related with a little bit of rugby in it (1 of 9 activities), this thread probably belongs in the "Everything Else" part of Gaggerland Forums.

Personally I question the value of the thread, but I can understand why it may make some people feel better about themselves and the fees that they pay, or their parents paid for them, to attend their champion sporting school.

I also wonder what real use there is in nominating Individual 18 yo Schoolboys for a best "athlete" title and debating the relative merits of same. It seems a little too Sportal for me, but each to their own.

From my perspective, the unco kid on the wing for the 5th XV who turns out week in week out for the love of the sport and competition is as good if not better than the star performer in the 1st XV. Rugby is a team sport and history continues to provide examples of champion teams beating teams of champions.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
here are the nominations to date for the ATHLETE OF THE YEAR table: What about others?
(please update and correct as these are a guess. Please no notations in anticipation ie rugby)

David Morris (NC)
1st XI (2011-12-13), 1st XV rugby (2011-12) and swimming (2011-13)

Andrew Deegan (SJC)
1st XI (2012-13), 1st XV rugby (2011-12)

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Here are the current standings after the summer sports.
[note water polo not included as it is a combined GPS/CAS competition and only 4 GPS school participate].

Results
results.jpg

Ranking
table.jpg.png

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Ned Hanigan does not qualify as playing 1st XV in 2012, as he only played 1 competition game due to an injury to a 1sts player.
Give me a team of Hanigans any day. And playing 1st Xl for your school doesn't mean too much. Lokk at AAGPS rep areas only or cut the thread completely. Oh and schwagger played only 1 game last year but was listed 1st XV....

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
here are the nominations to date for the ATHLETE OF THE YEAR table: What about others?
(please update and correct as these are a guess. Please no notations in anticipation ie rugby)

David Morris (NC)
1st XI (2011-12-13), 1st XV rugby (2011-12) and swimming (2011-13)

Andrew Deegan (SJC)
1st XI (2012-13), 1st XV rugby (2011-12)
Did either make GPS this year at cricket?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
There was O'Donahue (SJC) last year GPS Xl Cricket capt. and NSW Rugby. Angus Le Lievre (SJC) the year before. Random 2 would surely know of more. Lachlan Strachan (TKS) was last year as well. as far as this year goes l think the cupboards are pretty bare of the "All Rounder" stocks

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
There was O'Donahue (SJC) last year GPS Xl Cricket capt. and NSW Rugby. Angus Le Lievre (SJC) the year before. Random 2 would surely know of more. Lachlan Strachan (TKS) was last year as well. as far as this year goes l think the cupboards are pretty bare of the "All Rounder" stocks

Ben Bryant (Scots) made GPS Cricket and Soccer (2nd XI) last year. James Shepherd (Kings) and Charlie Stobo (Shore) both made GPS Cricket and GPS Soccer (3rd XI) last year and both made GPS Cricket this year. Joey Lussick (New) and Olly Kamp (Scots) made GPS Swimming this year and are a good chance of making GPS rugby

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
and

and .??? water polo is a minority sport and not played by majority of GPS schools.

Really? I'd call 5 schools out of 8 a majority.

New, Scots, Joeys, Riverview & High!

But Rifle shooting is in, when it is played by 6 schools out of 8 (no Joeys or Riverview)???

You can't have it both ways.

If you care to visit the AAGPS website, you will see that Water Polo is a GPS sport with the same status as the others that you have mentioned.

I'd also respectfully suggest that there would be more partcipants from the 5 schools who play water polo than from the 6 who do shooting. This is in no way an attempt to criticise shooting, but to point out the status of Water Polo within the AAGPS.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Why not add The Armidale School in to the table and define it as the AAGPS NSW sports league tables rather than the Sydney GPS?

Absolutely, all GPS sports and schools should be included, not just an arbitrary selection. Otherwise it has no validity at all.

Noting also that there is a combined GPS Water Polo team which play in the CIS Water Polo Championships each year, which is not at this stage being recognised alongside other GPS representative sports on this thread.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
James Holland from New. Captain of GPS First Soccer (selected for 2nd time), GPS First XI and GPS Athletics (part of Senior championship team last year and winner of Hurdles u17 this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.