• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Have you ever lost "respect" for your favourite players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hartman

I don't understand what the issue is with some 20-something rugby boys mucking around and bonding with their mates who are new to the squad. Yes, maybe it's inappropriate for them to be talking about their Melbourne shopping trip the day after a big loss, but they're humans too and life goes on after the Bledisloe. I'm sure they spend a lot of time reflecting on the loss but at the same time, losing the Bledisloe doesn't mean they have to sit in their bedroom listening to death metal and playing with Mr Fainga'a's eyeliner. Let's also not forget that Smit and Matfield have been Bok Captain and Vice-Captain for most of their careers. I do also recall Matfield (I think) tweeting that they'd "finaly custom-built a car for Heinrich Brussow" with a link to a picture of some small hatchback that had recently been released.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I, for one, am personally offended that a bunch of 20-somethings are having a laugh with each other and showing some light-hearted comraderie. Clearly, they all need to be "bashed" until they've grown up some.

Exactly. It's disgusting. They should be like the All Blacks. Dour. Hard, and dour.

Someone should bash 'em till they're hard and dour.

Rugby has gone downhill since regular bashings went out the dour. Erm, I mean door.

T

TOCC

Im sorry but that is just bullshit. Is he allowed to have a coffee every now and again? Because in reality that would be time better spent perfecting his game. What about talking to his mother on the phone? Those valuable seconds could be spent on front on defence, or analysing videos of old matches.

I've heard he goes to the movies once a week! What a fucking outrage!
Agree mate, people are living in a misguided world if they think twittering is detracting from there game...

Across the world, some of the beat players in there sport use twitter regularly and still play fine...

People are just looking for a cheap scapegoat

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I lost respect for Bakkies Botha four years ago. Does that count?

I am losing respect for John Smit for getting out of shape the way he has.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
This is just like the thread about Clarkey's split with Lara Bingle; Myopic views of the situation thrown around followed by a look at the bigger picture and sport taking it's rightful place in peoples lives.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Im sorry but that is just bullshit. Is he allowed to have a coffee every now and again? Because in reality that would be time better spent perfecting his game. What about talking to his mother on the phone? Those valuable seconds could be spent on front on defence, or analysing videos of old matches.

I've heard he goes to the movies once a week! What a fucking outrage!

Of course he's allowed to have a normal life and do normal things! however, the way the wallabies are going, which isn't so flash - it's probably a good time when theres time to do it - to go and assess the game your playing and working on your weaknesses.

Where is he right now? Buddying up with Quade & the Moodle!
If the Saffas flog them when they go over there in 2 weeks, I won't be saying I told you so.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agreed - at least with the irony of your post.

And who cares anyway: if A.Finger ends up being as good a player as Nonu, we will all be well pleased.

Not to the point but the next time AF marks MN - tackle him low son; don't worry about the offload.

H

Hartman

Of course he's allowed to have a normal life and do normal things! however, the way the wallabies are going, which isn't so flash - it's probably a good time when theres time to do it - to go and assess the game your playing and working on your weaknesses.

Where is he right now? Buddying up with Quade & the Moodle!
If the Saffas flog them when they go over there in 2 weeks, I won't be saying I told you so.

What makes you think the fact that he's making a joke with some teammates means he isn't reflecting on his game?

H

H...

My personal opinion is that these guys are attention whores. What possible other reason is there for using a public medium for what is essentially a one-to-one private communication like the one below?

O'Connor:

@QuadeCooper sick of seeing ur face all over on T.V and hearing how good you are, You tell me enough when im with you:p
about 1 hour ago via web

I met a few of the Wallabies at a cocktail party back in the late 90s and they were all well spoken, quite polite, and at least came across as relatively intelligent. I understand twitter is what it is, but this lot just come across like internet retards. Perhaps they're just stupid?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
My personal opinion is that these guys are attention whores. What possible other reason is there for using a public medium for what is essentially a one-to-one private communication like the one below?

O'Connor:

@QuadeCooper sick of seeing ur face all over on T.V and hearing how good you are, You tell me enough when im with you:p
about 1 hour ago via web

I met a few of the Wallabies at a cocktail party back in the late 90s and they were all well spoken, quite polite, and at least came across as relatively intelligent. I understand twitter is what it is, but this lot just come across like internet retards. Perhaps they're just stupid?

Perhaps O'Connor is acting like the 20 year old he is. Or using twitter like most people do.

Why the fuck are we, and for that matter the general public and media, regarding twitter like its some sort of solid public relations device or an important political tool? It a social networking site FFS.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I met a few of the Wallabies at a cocktail party back in the late 90s and they were all well spoken, quite polite, and at least came across as relatively intelligent.
I dont think in the professional era the players are as smart in general, they might have high IQ's but they dont come off as smart. Matt Burke always came across as a fantastic speaker especially compared to players of today. out of the modern players Al Baxter is quite a good speaker.

H

H...

I dont think in the professional era the players are as smart in general, they might have high IQ's but they dont come off as smart. Matt Burke always came across as a fantastic speaker especially compared to players of today. out of the modern players Al Baxter is quite a good speaker.

Burke was one the 3 or so I was referring to and is the one that stuck in my memory. Very well spoken.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't know anyone who doesn't use Twitter.

I'm a 19y.o rugby playing university student. As such basically all my friends/acquaintances are 18-20 years old and a fair share of them are mates from rugby. I'm 1 of 5 that use twitter and the only rugby playing one. Basically, it's more to do with the fact I study communications then my rugby.

Twitter just isn't a big thing in the Australian young adult populace. I'd say the Wobs use twitter because they are celebrities, not because they are young or becuase it's the done thing in the general populace.

H

H...

I don't know anyone who doesn't use Twitter.

I assume by "using" you mean "posting on" rather than just reading, as that's the context in which DPK used the term.

Do you really not know anyone who doesn't use it, in that case? All your relatives use it, do they?

If by using you mean "has read a tweet at some point or another" then yeah, more likely. I'd still guess you'd know people who haven't, though, and probably some who have no idea what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.