• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Reds Super Rugby 2015 Rnd 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
There was nothing methodical in that. Pretty lame to be frank. What pisses me off is Genia playing the full 80 when we should have put Frisby on. Having chosen a captain that will not be playing the full 80 shits me to tears also. It is just plain fucking dumb.

Genia is looking more like a flat track bully without Cooper. He doesn't handle the added load and the trend seems to be that he is only a weapon when Cooper is their to make defenses edgy. I want more of Frisby.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
The Reds just seem to throw the ball around in attack and hope for something good to happen. It's a waste of talent when they have some big centres just craving to get a good ball on a strong line to bust it up the guts.

LFG played well, as did Thomson. Ant Fainga'a proved invaluable in defense apart from his boneheaded penalty. JOC (James O'Connor) showed similar problems at 10 as when he did for the Wallabies - great individual ball player, lacks creativity. We need Quade back and an actual attacking game plan.

something

Jim Clark (26)
magnay had a very bad game - really bad misread in the naholo try (and a few others). Genia's first half was great and second half was shit? whats with that.

Frisby should be given the nod at 10 until QC (Quade Cooper) returns. Just offers more, and JOC (James O'Connor) is better out wide.

Kerevi had a quiet game

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Why don't we just bring on the backs when we are defending - because they aren't used in attack. And that looked like a plan, not JOC (James O'Connor)'s play.
I did a quick replay, and the outside backs got passed the ball 4 times in 60 mins from forward possession.
Actually the Ant is not up to it at 12. Aside from the penalties he gave away, the ball when it did get past JOC (James O'Connor)'s boot, ended up with Ant not going or passing anywhere
I mean, why have the outside backs there - again very poor coaching.
As for the lineouts, I won't go there.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surprised it took that long!

Me too, thought the hard-core RG-on-spit brigade would've had their posts pre-written & ready to go as soon as they lost :) With, of course, a "Fuck we were lucky to get away with that, no thanks to RG" opening line on standby in case they won.

Seriously, though, with the injury toll & other (ahem) distractions (ahem) the Reds have had of late I wouldn't be that despondent, for long periods tonight they looked a million miles away from the shambles they were in Week 1.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
JOC (James O'Connor) is simply not a No 10. He did some very good things on an individual basis, but he did SFA to manage the attack and control the game. Needs to be put on the wing post haste for the good of the Reds and the Wallabies.

Will Genia was the only player posing any sort of threat in attack. Certainly, his second half wasn't as good as his first, but he was trying hard.

Ant (I am a fan) missed so many one on one tackles that he might as well have not been out there. Is he still carrying an injury?

Magnay was badly beaten by Naholo for his try and didn't look confident in defense at all. Too much inexperience for this level atm.

Scrums were a real lottery and very second rate after watching the efforts in the Chiefs/Brumbies and Tahs/Rebels games.

All in all, the Reds just didn't look like they had a plan to win the game. Neither side is looking like a finals contender on this sort of form.

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well that was just a terrible game. I missed the first 25 minutes and the next 15 minutes were full of reset scrums and kicks, Unfortunately it didn't get much better in the second half.

I know it's a constant groan but something must be done about those scrums. I've been reading a lot about stopping the clock and that would be one option. Also, if the forwards are slow to set, walk the scrum 10 metres down the field towards the perpetrator's goal line. They'll soon quicken up.

The Reds were just horrible. (Frankly, the Highlanders weren't much better and will struggle to make the top ten). They didn't seem to want the ball and kicked it away to the Highlanders at every opportunity. I am usually not one to blame the coaches but there certainly did not seem to be a game plan...unless it was to give the ball to the opposition and wait for them to make mistakes. If the players are not abiding by the game plan then get players that will. (Harder to do than say with their injury toll at the moment). Otherwise the coach has to wear some of the blame, and to be perfectly honest I saw no game plan.

They played like 'big' school boys with some real stupid errors. Hanson and A.Fainga'a in the last 10 minutes gave away stupid penalties.
There was just no passion...except maybe Gill and Thomson who did more work than all the other forwards put together. Thomson stood out like dog's balls and he's a bloody Kiwi. Some of these Aussies need to harden up. Genia tried hard but he has to give away that stupid box kick. One almost led to a charge-down try. It seems the three locks they used and Magnay are just not up to Super Rugby level yet.

I'd like to see some more angular running of the ball, with some of the bigger guys switching back in on the angle off the ball runner, How about some run-arounds to try to create the overlap, or even trying to pass the ball around the corner after contact with some runners charging up nearby. All fairly simple stuff that the Reds don't seem capable of. How about some more creativity?

They showed passion in the last 2 minutes! Of an 80 minute game!!! Just not good enough boys! Really disappointing and got my weekend off to a bad start.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Me too, thought the hard-core RG-on-spit brigade would've had their posts pre-written & ready to go as soon as they lost :) With, of course, a "Fuck we were lucky to get away with that, no thanks to RG" opening line on standby in case they won.

Seriously, though, with the injury toll & other (ahem) distractions (ahem) the Reds have had of late I wouldn't be that despondent, for long periods tonight they looked a million miles away from the shambles they were in Week 1.

I think a big problem for us is the injuries are in key areas where build the base of our game. The blokes we have are going hard and toiling but they just don't have the class of those they are replacing. An international locking combination and the most potent attacking player in Australia are what we are missing at the moment and that would hurt any side. I still got the faith and it will only get better when we get some cattle back.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I will post on the thread with in the next 24 hours as Im finding it hard to write anything that will give away the winner...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.