• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Reds Super Rugby 2015 Rnd 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I will post on the thread with in the next 24 hours as Im finding it hard to write anything that will give away the winner.:rolleyes:

Eh............?

o_O

biggsy is clearly drunk - doesn't comprehend the rules/can't articulate how to respond to said rules................

M

Moono75

Maybe adapting from French rugby back to Super Rugby. He died with the pill a lot trying to finish rather than create was my observation.
Ahhhhh yes. Trying to be the star instead of making others look like a star. The age old fly half conundrum.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
If this rugby gig doesn't work out for Captain Neck Beard, he can always give living with the Amish a go. They would defo appreciate his style.

In all seriousness, I think some people on here are being too hard on JOC (James O'Connor). We know he's not a 10, but at least he looked like creating opportunity when he was playing 10. He's never going to be a great facilitator and with an inexperienced backline it's a recipe for disaster as they wait for their pivot to provide direction while he tries to do it all himself. But really, if anyone is surprised by the way it played out they don't watch much rugby. What we got was exactly what was expected and the fact that RG threw him into 10 when Frisby played so well last week is the story of RGs coaching career.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Fuckin yikes, it wasn't a vintage performance by any stretch but take it easy with the vitriol fellas.

I though Genia did exactly what he should have done which was try to take the reigns in attack and not leave it to JOC (James O'Connor) (or Frisby). He executed better in the first half than the second for sure but almost all of his botched attacking kicks would have been brilliant had they dropped a few feet early and not gone out on the full etc. at least he was trying to kick with the goal of putting the Clan under pressure.

The criticism of our lack of imagination in attack is fair enough but I think it was more that out sloppy breakdown work allowed the Clan to stifle any attacking momentum. We have no idea whether they had a good plan to breakdown the opposition defense because they were never in a position to play to it through extended phases.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Lack of experience/quality on the bench really cost the Reds down the stretch in my opinion. They need more impact in that area. When is Simmons due back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I really don't agree with that at all. He rushed up and left a hole outside him plenty of times.

I only saw the second half but from what I saw, I agree with this.

Ant Fainga'a is nowhere near the defender he once was.

He made some poor decisions and missed a couple of one on one tackles. Given he doesn't provide much in attack, he's become a weak link. Given he's just returning from injury, he'll need to improve a lot soon or needs to be replaced.

I think people are being harsh on O'Connor, he was the least of the Reds problems.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I thought Genia was one of the better players tonight. Backed up a good game last week.

JOC (James O'Connor) will be really good when not at 10. I think a roving wing role will suit him.

Gill and Thompson were both good and we had the better of the scrum at some stages.

Think it might be a long year for the Reds but some good blood coming through. A few of these props should be good for the future of the game.

Not sure what the answer is at 10. Looking at the squad there isn't anyone who is fit. Frisby might have to play there, I'm not a big fan of that as I think it goes against his natural game. SOS to someone else might be require but think it won't happen before last week.

Next week could get ugly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
I really don't agree with that at all. He rushed up and left a hole outside him plenty of times.

Absofarkanlutely!

He missed / muffed tackles by moving out of the line too fast and at least once left a hole that was exploited.

I really like Ant as a player but thought he had a shite game in defence.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Another classic Reds 20/30 mins of good footy 60/50 mins of shite.

My views on the game and perhaps what to do next week:

Gill, Thompson compliment each other very well. I think Browning needs a couple of starts soon. We know what Shatz has and it isn't balancing our back row, at the moment he is the weakest link. Thought our 2nd row showed glimpses of real physicality, some good hits and work in the tight. Lineouts a bit shaky, first time caller nerves perhaps? Scrum was hopefully just a hiccup.

Thought Genia played quite well. Man JOC (James O'Connor) has some foot work and running vision. Needs to be utilised out wider. In saying that I think Frisby is our best like for like replacement for QC (Quade Cooper). Has a ripping pass and flair/vision. Would like to see him start at 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 (if Turner out) next week. Also gives us an actual 2nd ball player which will take a lot of pressure of the 10. Ant was disappointing. Some of our defensive reads out wide are absolutely shocking... no other was to describe them. Sautia's best game in a long time.... still looks very sheepish. I'll leave the 18yo out of it this time. Very young and not quite up to it yet.

I find myself in agreeance with other commentators here regarding game plan/lack there of. At the moment feels very similar to the past 2 years. Fleeting glimpses of gold in a sea of poo.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
JOC (James O'Connor) just seemed to do what he always does - a few brilliant flashes then just goes missing. There were times in the second half where I was wondering if he was still out there....

Frisby did a good job last week - keep him there until Quade returns & put JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing where he belongs!!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

He made some poor decisions and missed a couple of one on one tackles. Given he doesn't provide much in attack, he's become a weak link. Given he's just returning from injury, he'll need to improve a lot soon or needs to be replaced.

I think people are being harsh on O'Connor, he was the least of the Reds problems.

For crying out loud, it was his first week back. Just thought it fair that this point was mentioned.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

We can tinker all we want with positions and players and will not make a jot of difference.

There is only one change that needs to be made before any others should even be considered.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
On the upside: I thought JOC (James O'Connor) looked pretty good with ball in hand, and the Genia/CFS interplay down the side line was really good as well.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
To be honest Frisby looked like a better distributor than JOC (James O'Connor) especially when distributing wide with long cut out passes. Around the 70' mark, some of those passes almost had a QC (Quade Cooper) feel to them, zip and accuracy. I'd start him next week, with JOC (James O'Connor) to a roving wing role.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Front row were good, Kotze had lots of involvement and went pretty well. Thomson and Gill standouts. The bit that was most disappointing was at the end of a few attacking phases, JOC (James O'Connor) grubbered that ball into touch. No one is organising the team on the pitch in attack. Perhaps the reason JOC (James O'Connor) didn't look like a 10 is because he had no options. Reds need bodies in motion and their blindside wingers working harder off the ball to take the pill forward. Very little pressure on the opposition when we have ball in hand, or when we kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be honest Frisby looked like a better distributor than JOC (James O'Connor) especially when distributing wide with long cut out passes. Around the 70' mark, some of those passes almost had a QC (Quade Cooper) feel to them, zip and accuracy. I'd start him next week, with JOC (James O'Connor) to a roving wing role.

Put JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 and Turner back on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.