1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hometown Refs

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by Rebels3, Feb 16, 2020.

1. KevinO John Thornett (49)

Can't confirm for all refs, but ref is a full time job for most. Talked to Jaco Peyper after he reffed the Rebels v Crusaders game in Melbourne when Mortlock scored the winning try. He was telling me he spends his week in the gym working on fitness and even will spend time running with teams at training as it's how he manages to get extra match conditions practice.
  2. dru David Codey (61)

That is good.

BUT

Would we expect any less?
  3. barbarian Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Jaco is one of the top three or four refs in the World, and can probably draw the income to sustain a professional lifestyle.

But other Super referees aren't so lucky, and I know anecdotally that most have day jobs during the week.

The demands of the job aren't really that great outside of weekends. Sure you need to stay in shape, and do a bit of video review. But that's easy enough to do outside of traditional office hours.

And it's not like you can 'practice' in the same way a player can. There may be opportunities at the odd team training session, but again that's not enough to suggest going full time is really necessary.
    Derpus likes this.
  4. Eyes and Ears Colin Windon (37)

The 3 Australian Super Rugby referees plus Amy Perrett are full time referees. They don't have days jobs. The amount of travel required is the bigger factor rather than the quiet week at home doing fitness and watching videos.
    Last year as a World Cup Year, Gardner and Berry would have been away from home more than 100 days.
    The next tier of referees have days jobs as well although a couple of them work for Rugby Australia or a state union.
    Silverado, yourmatesam and HJ Nelson like this.
  5. PhilClinton Trevor Allan (34)

Berry was a teacher at Gregory Terrace in Brisbane I believe when he first started reffing seriously.

He's now going into his fourth year of 'extended leave' at the school due to reffing commitments, so I guess he's been classified as a full-time referee for a while now.
    KevinO and The Nomad like this.
  6. Bobby Sands Banned

He was also Berrick Barnes halves partner at IGS, and had a very unlucky pro career. Very good 9.
  7. The Nomad Trevor Allan (34)

Nick Berry down to ref the Reds v Sunwolves .

33 caps for the Reds , doesn't get much more "home town " than that.
    Silverado, PhilClinton, Tex and 4 others like this.
  8. The Nomad Trevor Allan (34)

@Rebels3

Your stats got quoted by Wayne Smith in the Australian today, moving up in the world of journalism!
    Silverado and Tex like this.
  9. Wilson Peter Fenwicke (45)

It really is ridiculous, from that Wayne Smith piece in the Australian:

Even when it's so readily solvable they're not interested. It's almost as though they think the answer is giving the reds a hometown ref to either balance it out or shut us up.
    Sully and The Nomad like this.
  10. Ulrich Nev Cottrell (35)

Will be interesting to see how that goes.
  11. Tex Peter Johnson (47)

Pleasing and concerning at the same time that respected journos are using GAGR forum (i.e. not the edited front page...) as source material.

HEY WAYNE, PUBLISH DISMAL'S CONVICT XV YOU COWARD!
  12. Mr Wobbly Alan Cameron (40)

^ Rebels3 - going viral. Boom!
  13. yourmatesam Bob Davidson (42)

Or potentially there's no "hometown bias".
  14. Brumby Jack Steve Williams (59)

@rebels3 gaining traction in the Aus again.

SANZAAR dispute it but won't release their own figures.

Apologies for the large images.

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 10.06.16 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 10.06.16 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 10.07.50 pm.png
    RoffsChoice, Ignoto, Dctarget and 3 others like this.
  15. Tangawizi Peter Fenwicke (45)

"Mr Marinos declines to be interviewed"..Really? Isn't he meant to be CEO?
    How much is he getting paid to not do his job?
    Ignoto, RugbyReg and Dismal Pillock like this.
  16. Dismal Pillock Paul McLean (56)

"Mr Marinos declines to be interviewed on referees after only 3 rounds of Super Rugby when it is only February and he is still busy at the fucken beach."
    yourmatesam and Derpus like this.
  17. Ignoto Peter Fenwicke (45)

Hmmm, I've got absolutely no problem with them having different figures, but put your money where your mouth is if you don't think there's an issue. Why can't these be made publicly as I'm sure it'd be a great 'trust and transparency' story.
  18. cyclopath Stirling Mortlock (74)

They haven't made them up, I mean compiled them fully yet.
    Dismal Pillock, dru, Sully and 2 others like this.
  19. KevinO John Thornett (49)

Well it's the first time I have ever seen the CEO name get mentioned, never seen Sanzar interview for anything so small steps.
  20. The Nomad Trevor Allan (34)

Or they have them and are even more damming than rebels3’s numbers .

They only said the numbers didn’t match up , not that the sentiment was wrong .