• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobic remark in Tahs Brumbies game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
moral%20high%20ground3.jpg

T

TOCC

When people start posting photos or Memes you know the thread has run its course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

No, I'm just somewhat amused at how people are rushing to prove how morally superior they are to everyone else.

Surely you realise these aren't constructive posts, yea some people are more liberal in mindset then others but that doesn't mean they think they are morally superior or some enlightened being.. It's just a different mindset and something which people can be emotionally invested in..

If you think someone is been ridiculously over the top and want to raise that with them, then direct a comment at them directly rather then the broader "people".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I understand NOW why the Brumbies forwards were so dirty about the comment made. The coconut always falls close to the tree.

Could have been handled in a better way. Pocock CHOSE his response knowing that the Ref was miked up and it would become a firestorm.

Pocock won't captain the Wallabies because the ARU doesn't want a bloke using the position to push HIS views upon the wider community. The bloke is not particularly liked by a lot of his peers.

He will be very lucky to make the 23 as Hooper has smoked him at all levels irrespective of injury.

Would love to see him have a crack at politics. A possible Senatorial position for 1 term with a fringe party then disappear into oblivion.

ATM rugby is his conduit for expressing his opinions and that is fair enough - no problems from me.

But in the conservative rugby world ( whether you agree with that or not) his actions will have consequences.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I really think you are overthinking his thought processes.
In the heat of the battle he heard something and complained to the ref.
no different to complaining about someone not rolling away,or some fucking 9 that won't hand over the ball.
When things had calmed down,and he had time to think,he went the soft option and claimed he didn't actually hear it himself.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Interesting post Scrubber.

Pocock's choice of audience and stage is my problem. He has become the issue, together with the perception that he is personally tackling a huge problem of homophobia in rugby. Or, according to the Guardian, Australian male professional sport in general. It was interesting that the Guardian failed to quote the number of gay athletes playing in the professional football codes in Britain.

The existing machinery worked well and within 24 hours JP had apologised and been fined. In my opinion Pocock should have taken action behind the closed doors to initiate that response. A far better outcome would have been achieved as a demonstration that the ARU and the Super Rugby franchises do not accept homophobia in the sport.

Instead we have this. Has a market opened on the 2016 AOTY?

And as a retired and now fat hooker I want everyone to understand that the next poster who criticises fatprop will have to deal with me! We are a significant and growing minority who carry a lot of weight in the community.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I understand NOW why the Brumbies forwards were so dirty about the comment made. The coconut always falls close to the tree.

Could have been handled in a better way. Pocock CHOSE his response knowing that the Ref was miked up and it would become a firestorm.

Pocock won't captain the Wallabies because the ARU doesn't want a bloke using the position to push HIS views upon the wider community. The bloke is not particularly liked by a lot of his peers.

He will be very lucky to make the 23 as Hooper has smoked him at all levels irrespective of injury.

Would love to see him have a crack at politics. A possible Senatorial position for 1 term with a fringe party then disappear into oblivion.

ATM rugby is his conduit for expressing his opinions and that is fair enough - no problems from me.

But in the conservative rugby world ( whether you agree with that or not) his actions will have consequences.

Is this a serious post? I really can't tell.

Especially because
Hooper has smoked him at all levels irrespective of injury
has to be a joke. Has to be. I know it made me laugh.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Why should this have been dealt with behind closed doors?

This has been an overwhelmingly positive story for Australian Rugby.
Huh?
It was dealt with behind closed doors,albeit quickly.
Apart from what was seen on ref cam,no one involved made any comment on what transpired at all.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I really think you are overthinking his thought processes.
In the heat of the battle he heard something and complained to the ref.
no different to complaining about someone not rolling away,or some fucking 9 that won't hand over the ball.
When things had calmed down,and he had time to think,he went the soft option and claimed he didn't actually hear it himself.

Mate
Pocock is an intelligent thoughtful bloke, he knows the power of the media and CHOSE to air the matter in that way. However, rightfully or wrongly consequences, behind closed doors will surely trickle through ontp Pocock's rugby future.

Personally I would be very surprised if another Australian franchise would touch the bloke. The Brums have him.

Overall in the modern world nothing less would have been expected, whether by Pocock or another player.

The rules are there, have been aired and I suspect there will be very little sledging whether "innocent" or not.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Huh?
It was dealt with behind closed doors,albeit quickly.
Apart from what was seen on ref cam,no one involved made any comment on what transpired at all.

The assertion has been made by many that Pocock and Moore shouldn't have approached Joubert during the game so it didn't become a public issue.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why should this have been dealt with behind closed doors?

This has been an overwhelmingly positive story for Australian Rugby.

Ahh no it hasn't, there was no benefit to the Australian Rugby brand whatsoever in highlighting to the world that homophobic taunts are still happening...

Shit we even made Prerez Hilton

http://perezhilton.com/2015-03-23-c...ofessional-player-fined-gay-slur#.VRMzz_mUdIU

Plaudits for the ARU's handling of another issue is not better than having no issue filling the headlines

domo

Stan Wickham (3)
I'd argue that it has very much been a positive story, everyone knows taunts like this exist, yet nobody has yet stood up and called it out for what it is, unnacceptable. You can't have a go at Pocock without having a go at Moore, he stood next to him and echoed his sentiment. I think the fact that two previous Wallaby captains have taken a stand IS a positive story. The sincere apology from Potgeiter (who isn't an Australian player), the fact that it was out of ignorance and not malice, and the ARU's swift and firm stance on the matter only helps things further.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ahh no it hasn't, there was no benefit to the Australian Rugby brand whatsoever in highlighting to the world that homophobic taunts are still happening.

Plaudits for the ARU's handling of another issue is not better than having no issue filling the headlines

I disagree. I don't think many people are naive enough to think that this is a problem faced only by rugby and only in Australia.

The swift treatment of the issue by the ARU and the fortitude of Moore and Pocock to call it out as inappropriate I think greatly outweighs the fact that Potgieter made homophobic slurs on the field and that has become a public issue.

This has not been sidetracking the media from their in-depth rugby analysis...

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I thibnk it so refreshing to have a coupke of sensitive men like Poey and Moore raising the issue.

Pocock knew exactly what he was doing . Moore I reckon was backing up his teammate

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)

So you'd rather rugby protect its brand by covering up homophobia and dealing with it non-transparently (if at all), than to have players and the broader organisation actively work to counter the issue?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So you'd rather rugby protect its brand by covering up homophobia and dealing with it non-transparently (if at all), than to have players and the broader organisation actively work to counter the issue?
That is patently NOT what he said. Try reading posts first. He is saying it would be better if no issue existed in the first place, rather than having to find a positive in an organisation actually dealing with it as they should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.