• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to fix the wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Poor NZRU wouldn't know what hit them. One day they'd be working at a professional national sporting body, and the next the carpark would be full of Range Rovers and everyone would be OOF for a corporate lunch at Otto.

I think we would happily allow a reverse takeover if we annex NZ ie all members of the NZRU would replace the ARU.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Time for big moves, dangerous moves, exciting moves, scary moves. And removing rugby from the Australian landscape once and for all!

^ That is the TL;DR version of reddog's post for anyone who doesn't want to read it.

Fishing some random points from the murk:

I agree with you about the schools things. Those competitions are producing very little in terms of sustainability or growth. The political shit on that landscape must be wiped clean, to prevent the elitism that occurs within the hierarchy.

You won't get television coverage of this competition though. Just saying.

Note: after donating 100% of your salary to grassroots clubs (they get maybe $100 each) you won't have enough to pay the legal costs of tearing up the player contracts.

Or pay the SANZAAR breaches.

Or pay Foxtel.

Copying the QLD origin side is basically saying "breed and coalesce several legends of our game into the same time and space and keep them injury free for the same length of time in a two-team competition of limited skill". The All Blacks don't fit that bill.

Don't be surprised when the NRL and AFL laugh in your face about sharing facilities BTW. They don't give a fuck.

- Inside 3 years we will have 10 very good players vying

Inside 3 hours you would have been stood down by the board.

reddog64

Bob McCowan (2)
^ That is the TL;DR version of reddog's post for anyone who doesn't want to read it.

Fishing some random points from the murk:

I agree with you about the schools things. Those competitions are producing very little in terms of sustainability or growth. The political shit on that landscape must be wiped clean, to prevent the elitism that occurs within the hierarchy.

You won't get television coverage of this competition though. Just saying.

Note: after donating 100% of your salary to grassroots clubs (they get maybe $100 each) you won't have enough to pay the legal costs of tearing up the player contracts.

Or pay the SANZAAR breaches.

Or pay Foxtel.

Copying the QLD origin side is basically saying "breed and coalesce several legends of our game into the same time and space and keep them injury free for the same length of time in a two-team competition of limited skill". The All Blacks don't fit that bill.

Don't be surprised when the NRL and AFL laugh in your face about sharing facilities BTW. They don't give a fuck.

Inside 3 hours you would have been stood down by the board.

Pfitzy...your thinking is part of the problem. Have a think about that and come back to me with a better solution.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy.your thinking is part of the problem. Have a think about that and come back to me with a better solution.

Uh-huh.

Thing is I've been doing the "loud, obnoxious post" thing here for a while, in among the gemstones of truth I scatter to the screeching masses. I'm what you might call an expert in the field.

If you don't believe me, check out my Likes Received - people do that in part because I know my rugby, but also because I'm entertaining as fuck.

Neither of these elements have you mastered, based on the evidence presented, but at this point I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I'm a top bloke.

When I tee up to have a run at someone, in addition to the wit and poise, I don't take it too far from something that actually makes a bit of sense.

Now, while we have a point or two that we agree on above, I think it best that you sit yourself back with a well-earned shandy, and have a think about something useful to contribute before you engage the gibberish plugin on your browser.

Of course, there is another option.

On top of that I'm sick of reading your moaning and crap ever week about the state of Rugby in Australia.

emergency-exit.gif

reddog64

Bob McCowan (2)
Uh-huh.

Thing is I've been doing the "loud, obnoxious post" thing here for a while, in among the gemstones of truth I scatter to the screeching masses. I'm what you might call an expert in the field.

If you don't believe me, check out my Likes Received - people do that in part because I know my rugby, but also because I'm entertaining as fuck.

Neither of these elements have you mastered, based on the evidence presented, but at this point I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I'm a top bloke.

When I tee up to have a run at someone, in addition to the wit and poise, I don't take it too far from something that actually makes a bit of sense.

Now, while we have a point or two that we agree on above, I think it best that you sit yourself back with a well-earned shandy, and have a think about something useful to contribute before you engage the gibberish plugin on your browser.

Of course, there is another option.

emergency-exit.gif

Wow pompous git as well. You've just confirmed my statement that people like you are the problem for Rugby in Australia. You get what you deserve mate and it was served up last night.
Dig in and knock your self out sunshine. The tucker's top shelf.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wow pompous git as well. You've just confirmed my statement that people like you are the problem for Rugby in Australia. You get what you deserve mate and it was served up last night.

Mate calm down.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
People need to brace themselves for an uncomfortable reality.

We are unlikely to beat the All Blacks on a regular basis for the foreseeable future. Our player base is too narrow and our development programmes are inadequate for the players that we do have.

The ANC's enforcement of racial quotas is the only thing likely to keep us remotely competitive with South Africa.

England have a huge and expanding player base and the cashed-up RFU is spending millions on grass roots development as well as elite programmes.

We are going to occupy a place in the rugby universe at about the same level as Scotland and Argentina in the next few years.

There is at least a 10 year time lag between anything that the ARU can do about it and on-field results.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wow pompous git as well.

Only insofar as my very humble public school education, and love of rugby will let me.

What you posted about reforming rugby is about akin to fuckwittery as anything that has crossed this part of the internet.

If this is you helping, go help league some more. Please.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Larkham is an overated coach, the Brumbies made the final and nearly won it when Jake White was in charge since then they have gone backwards. I have no problem with Players like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Giteau coming back they werent the problem last night. Actually Genia and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) where probably two of our well umm ok players last night.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
From an outsiders opinion I think that the biggest thing that needs to change is everyone's expectations. Sure the RWC was a success in that you guys finished second, however teams have moved on since then and the Wallabies don't seem to have moved on. The All Blacks have taken their play to a new level, the English have got that grunt back and are playing well under Eddie. South Africa and Argentina showed last night that they are willing to try new things and look to play a high tempo game plan, whereas the Wallabies don't seem to have a game plan or at the very least a 10 who can execute it.

The Wallabies at the moment just seem like Cheika's Waratahs with one or two other players in there.

I think the expectations from the country need to recognise that the Wallabies are going to have to go through a, for lack of a better word, "re-building" phase. I think the best way to do it is to somewhat copy what Clive Woodward did with England in 97-99, start introducing youth and sticking with them. Let the build and grow as a team together and then become a powerhouse again. IIRC Macqueen wasn't scared to blood new players in big games and he had a lot of success. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell and Gits have all been fantastic servants to Australian rugby however their time has passed. Sure they are professional players, however the tempo of the game down here is very different to what they play in France.

Bring in young guys who are going to give 5-10 years to the jersey and can shape how the Wallabies will play in the future.

In terms of other things, like the board or grassroots, I don't have any other ideas to improve that at the moment.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
We need some controversial posts so post away - divergent opinion and views creates some debate - post away red dog as I found your posts entertaining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Coaching issues aside, this is the process I'd go through if I was in charge of selecting the make-up of the 32 man squad:

- firstly I'd do a bit of crystal balling and write down what I thought would be the strongest Wallabies XV in 3 years time (in this case that happens to be a RWC year). These 15 players are all in the squad on paper whether they are available or not.
- next, I'd fill in the remaining 17 spots with the best currently available domestically based options for the respective positions
- finally, I can cover any 'unavailables' from the crystal ball XV with either domestic or offshore players, whatever is the best option to strengthen the overall squad.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think Cheika is the right choice of coach.

I think HIS selection of Assistants was poor or at least NOW shown to be poor. Mick Byrne is a fine choice but probably an ARU thing.

Larkham really hasn't hot his area humming away. Neither has Mario Whoever. Really don't know who you could replace Larkham with - some of you blokes would have a better idea than me in that respect.

Personally I'd like to see Fatcat Robinson come in as scrum coach. Bloke was a bit lazy around the field but he knows how to scrum. He would be respected by the forwards as he has played with most of them at various levels. It is irrelevant to me that he is a former Tah

Status
Not open for further replies.