• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC 7's - Round 10 - London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On the balance of probablilities its much more likely Friend is right and Brumby Runner and the rest of us genius, coach/referree/player/administrators on the intrawebs are not quite as well informed and clever as we think - sacrilege I know, but i am running with it.

Speak for yourself, Galumay.;) My crystal ball is shining as clearly as ever.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Is there an easy right answer?

If he picks his best team and someone crucial gets injured, someone would be complaining that he risked his stars.

If he picks his best players and then the last few players that get picked and then also get selected for Rio aren't the ones people like then he'll get criticised for not giving certain players an opportunity.

There is no real pathway to being a 7s coach in Australia. For most of those involved they might have played it during their career so they have some experience in the game and then taken up coaching (generally at XVs). It's not really something that is easy to rectify. Hopefully as 7s becomes more popular we start getting more Aussies coaching other teams internationally increasing our pool of potential coaches.

Friend and before him Bowen have seemingly done a pretty good job of picking up the pieces and getting us to fourth in the World Series.

Well, if 'getting to fourth in the World Series' is deemed satisfactory to you in a year when real Olympics success in 7s could give our fragile code here in Australia a massive, and badly needed, media boost, it's not to me.

The ARU has known about the criticality of this 7s year since when, 2009?

Is that not time enough to start planning and building a strategy to attain top flight coaching excellence in men's 7s? To the ARUs' credit, their uncharacteristically radical and innovative approach to women's 7s selection and coaching appointments has been a resounding success at exactly the right time, but they have not replicated that perspicacity for the other gender.

OK, women's 7s is at a generally different stage of competitive evolution to men's, but that we have overtaken NZ in women's 7s is a major achievement, arguably the best relative achievement of any in Australian rugby as a whole. Anyone close to the women's team knows that Walsh's coaching and player management quality has been a huge part of that process and the success now arriving. (Again, proof aplenty that coaching excellence is everything in elite rugby. It's ironic that still so much Australian rugby commentary is singularly obsessed with individual players rather than the assessment and observation of the coaches that are always the invisible thread underpinning team destiny in our code.)

And it's certainly not a matter of necessarily building our own 7s coaches. As Ryan has shown for Fiji, the right external recruitment calls can be very high yielding. The ARU seems to have bungled a similar process for our men's 7s team development.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
England just deprived them of possession. 30, 40 seconds was all they needed to hit back.

Hayne does the best part of sweet fanny adams in a 31-10 thumping loss to England.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He looks out of place in the Fiji team. The more you see how unwieldy he is in their setup the more you realise how much of a pie in the sky idea it was to try and shoe horn him into it.
You see what you want to see.
I see a guy who has never played 7's or 15's with zero cardio behind him and a couple of days learning the rules & their structures, performing adequately.

FYI, the Olympics are not next week.
I'm betting Friend will be more likely to look the April fool,than Hayne.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Hayne's involvements have all been reasonably good (he had a pass and a 2 or 3 metre run in game 1, then 5 or 6 in the 2nd game), but he's quite clearly never played 7s before, and hasn't currently got the body shape/fitness type necessary for the Rugby. I think Ryans decision has been made for him unless his improvement is rapid.

Far more importantly, England are playing well, Scotland are playing well, and a handful of individual Welshmen are playing well, which is good for the Great Britain squad.

Exciting 3rd round of matches upcoming, If SA sweep the pool, then everybody else is probably on 3 wins, while we'll hopefully beat Portugal, setting up a Winner take all clash between France and Kenya, as will you guys and Fiji should England beat Wales.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
You see what you want to see.
I see a guy who has never played 7's or 15's with zero cardio behind him and a couple of days learning the rules & their structures, performing adequately.
Which is fine for the guy playing footy down the park. But to try and blood him into the best team in the world this late is foolhardy.

I'm not saying Hayne couldn't be a great 7s player, but this situation is madness.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It must burn you, that you can't point to any errors from him.
Why would it burn me? He was the least involved player on the pitch on either side in that game.

As for my opinion on him, I don't think he'll make it, no. I think he could, yes. But he's got a small time frame to both make massive physical and tactical changes to mind and body respectively. Plus, he's trying to break into the best team in the world, where there are a dozen full timers, and another half dozen current 15s but former 7s boys sticking their hands up to play.

I think he's simply left it too late. A month earlier (and consequently 4 tournaments rather than 1) I'd have backed him to be on the plane to Rio. Not now. Ryan's a smart man, the x factors, for lack of a better description, are already there. Much like QC (Quade Cooper), Hayne could be the difference between a Gold and a Silver, but he could also cause the team to go home without medals.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I heard that Ryan didn't want him in the team but he was over-ruled.​
SPOILERS
I happen to know results from Day 1 but don't release them here before the games are broadcast.
.​

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Why would it burn me? He was the least involved player on the pitch on either side in that game.

As for my opinion on him, I don't think he'll make it, no. I think he could, yes. But he's got a small time frame to both make massive physical and tactical changes to mind and body respectively. Plus, he's trying to break into the best team in the world, where there are a dozen full timers, and another half dozen current 15s but former 7s boys sticking their hands up to play.

I think he's simply left it too late. A month earlier (and consequently 4 tournaments rather than 1) I'd have backed him to be on the plane to Rio. Not now. Ryan's a smart man, the x factors, for lack of a better description, are already there. Much like QC (Quade Cooper), Hayne could be the difference between a Gold and a Silver, but he could also cause the team to go home without medals.
Right or wrong,I don't think merit is a factor in his selection.

But I look how much the honey badger improved in a month with his performance once his conditioning improved.
Hayne would be coming off a lower base than the Honey Badger.

I'd prefer Hayne on the wing with 10 weeks intensive training than anyone in the Oz squad.

T

TOCC

Right or wrong,I don't think merit is a factor in his selection.

But I look how much the honey badger improved in a month with his performance once his conditioning improved.
Hayne would be coming off a lower base than the Honey Badger.

I'd prefer Hayne on the wing with 10 weeks intensive training than anyone in the Oz squad.

Merit is certainly not a factor in his selection, he has been selected on potential.

As for the rest, Fiji aren't Australia, they are Gold Medalist favourites and reigning world champions. Early every one of the Fijian team would waltz into the Australian side.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

I agree. And I think that's one of the disappointing aspects of this whole saga. He might just have made the Aussie team, but I reckon he won't make the Fiji team.

That said, I don't think Friend would have picked him. He seems much more satisfied with picking Sydney grade players for some reason.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That said, I don't think Friend would have picked him. He seems much more satisfied with picking Sydney grade players for some reason.
Nail on head!
If you look at some of the players he has recruited to play for Tribe,it's difficult to believe that he is competent.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So having now watched our games, it has only reinforced my initial doubts about our selection policies.

What have we gained here? Well we know Pama Fou and Jesse Parahi are still good players, and so is Allan F.

Other than that we've learned that none of these other guys are much chop. And I could have told you that weeks ago. We are playing John Porch at playmaker, and he was killing us out there.

It's not your fault, John. You were thrust into a role you were clearly not good enough for, for reasons that are still unclear.

So now, predictably, we've missed the Cup QFs for the first time this year. In the last tournament before Rio. To be that is a BIG step back, regardless of how many blokes we rested.

Status
Not open for further replies.