• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC 7's - Round 10 - London

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

galumay

So what? The discussion point here was whether posters here had advanced a body of insights and observations that had over multiple times proved more correct and insightful than Aus rugby's 'professional management' and elite coaches.

Exactly, and posting a long list of 'insights and observations' made by the collective keyboard warriors is actually irrelevant. Its a logical fallacy, it assumes somehow that the hive mind on a forum like this can somehow even have an informed 'insight and observation'.

Stop and think what it really implies when someone on here insists that they know more about who should have been selected for a team than the coaching and management staff who actually work, train, live and interact with said players - and have a much broader context in terms of longer term and broader strategies with probably thousands of times the volume of data that a keyboard warrior has.

Its arrant nonsense.

I have no issue with people having an opinion about selection, coaching, player ability etc, its the silly assumption that the opinion means they have more insight or knowledge than the professional management and coaching staff that I get annoyed with.

If you think RG or Dingo being sacked proves that keyboard warriors have better 'insights and observations' than the professionals involved then you have failed logic 101.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The best starting 7s if ALL Union players are available:

Sean McMahon
Michael Hooper
Samu Kerevi
Nick Phipps
Bernard Foley
Israel Folau
Marika Koroibete

The best starting 7s if ALL the League players are available:

Matt Scott
Paul Gallen
Greg Inglis
Cameron Smith
Johnathan Thurston
Semi Radradra
Blake Ferguson

A mix between the best Union/League

Michael Hooper
Greg Inglis
Sean McMahon
Cameron Smith
Johnathan Thurston
Israel Folau
Semi Radradra

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
England were really poor in that match. It will be interesting to see who is picked to go to Rio, bearing in mind that it will be a GB team, not an England team.

Scots thru to final after coming from behind to beat USA, certainly some of its players will now be better considered for selection in Team GB, but doubt there will be more than two picked though

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Shield SF: Kenya 38-5 Brazil, Russia 26-7 Portugal
Shield Final: Kenya 31-7 Russia

Bowl SF: Wales 21-17 Canada, Australia 22-21 Samoa
Bowl Final: Wales 24-19 Australia

Plate SF: Argentina 31-5 France, New Zealand 35-10 England
Plate Final: New Zealand 29-14 Argentina

Cup SF: South Africa 26-21 Fiji, Scotland 24-17 USA
Cup 3rd/4th: USA 26-19 Fiji

CUP FINAL: SCOTLAND 27-26 SOUTH AFRICA

Hence, I'm guessing.........

Ya beauty.

Scotland's first-ever Leg win.

image.jpeg

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Shield SF: Kenya 38-5 Brazil, Russia 26-7 Portugal
Shield Final: Kenya 31-7 Russia

Bowl SF: Wales 21-17 Canada, Australia 22-21 Samoa
Bowl Final: Wales 24-19 Australia

Plate SF: Argentina 31-5 France, New Zealand 35-10 England
Plate Final: New Zealand 29-14 Argentina

Cup SF: South Africa 26-21 Fiji, Scotland 24-17 USA
Cup 3rd/4th: USA 26-19 Fiji

CUP FINAL: SCOTLAND 27-26 SOUTH AFRICA

Hence, I'm guessing...

Scotland's first Leg win since ???

Since ever my friend. Since ever.

So fuckin proud, Scott Hastings little screams of jubilation as Dougie goes over, having said 90 seconds earlier it was nigh on impossible was beautiful.

I understand why the GB training squad is the way that it is, but with Johnstone and Fleming's form, and Wighty's leadership, they really should be there. Poor Joe and Shug can't be there due to lack of citizenship, and that would round out the core boys.

Then there's Fife, Hoyland and Jones who've all looked class when in the squad.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
??? was 'cos I seemed to recall Scotland winning in HK a few years back, musta been just the Plate or some such. Anyways, well done to your lads: to come back from that far down v the Seths ain't easy as NZ have found numerous times.......

Fiji won three Legs (Dubai, Las Vegas & Hong Kong) as did NZ (Wellington, Sydney & Vancouver). Four other teams each won a Leg: South Africa (Cape Town), Kenya (Singapore), Samoa (Paris) & of course Scotland (London).

I can't recall a Series with so many Leg winners outside of the traditional powerhouses. It's a great sign for the future of the sport, much as I hated seeing NZ get flogged by USA!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If you think RG or Dingo being sacked proves that keyboard warriors have better 'insights and observations' than the professionals involved then you have failed logic 101.
No mate, it's the fact that they were re signed despite not meeting performance goals,that proves the point.
Sacking them was an inevitable consequence of extending their contracts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well done Hutch.

It was foretold from 2010, when the announced that 7's would be an Olympic sport, that the Hutch would rise.
FIGJAM.:)

His success will come as no surprise to the trainspotters that have been watching him since U14's.

If he stays fit, and on the circuit, he will most likely break Collins Injera's try scoring record. The biggest threat to that would be the probability that he will be pick up a Super Rugby contract.

It is generally accepted that the Olympics 7's players would need to have had at least one year on the World 7's circuit. Thus key players in our tilt would have to have had both the 2015 and 2016 series under their belts, and the rest would have to had whatever 2016 series games can be accommodated.

The bulk of our Men in Gold for 2016 Olympics would be in the age range 19-26 years.
That would mean that these brave souls for 2016 are currently 14 - 20 years old. Turner and most current Professionals would be old men in rugby speak by then.

We've got to get more emphasis on 7's into the schools and juniors programmes for the youngsters to be ready in time. Both players and coaches need upskilling because tactically and strategically, it is a vastly different game. Success in XV's does not always correspond to success in 7's and vice versa.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Since ever my friend. Since ever.

So fuckin proud, Scott Hastings little screams of jubilation as Dougie goes over, having said 90 seconds earlier it was nigh on impossible was beautiful.

Well done to your lads Highlander. You must have been thrilled with that finish and I thought how pleased you must have been at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.