• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes v Rebels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aren't the Canes coached by the same bloke that graduated Wellington ITM cup team into ITM Division 2 for the first time since Billy Webb-Ellis cheated at soccer?

vegascane

Chris McKivat (8)
Aren't the Canes coached by the same bloke that graduated Wellington ITM cup team into ITM Division 2 for the first time since Billy Webb-Ellis cheated at soccer?

Lol. Sure did. Bloody terrible season for the Lions last year. Last in the Premiership and now we have to battle back from the Championship level. Boyd is a local Tawa man, that had the NZ U20's the last couple of years and he did his apprenticeship through the clubs, then the age groups and on to the Lions. They wanted a local guy who knew most of the players already after the Hammett debacle.

vegascane

Chris McKivat (8)
Pretty much after the ink dried on this:

"DEFINITION: KNOCK-ON12
A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.
‘Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line."

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=12&language=EN

Fair bit of luck in that try but sometimes it's not do much luck as having someone in the right place at the right time doing the right thing.....

Saw very little of the game other than Jane's & the 7's tries, but imagine 'canes fans everywhere are wallowing in it right now & rightly so, 6/6 is pretty fucking impressive.

Shame to see so many empty seats, though, maybe they need to look at a less dogs-balls obvious shade of yellow so they don't stand out like, well, dogs balls :) I can remember when tickets to a Horrorcanes home game were harder to come by than rocking horse shit or a modest Aussie cricket fan, and that was when they were mostly average-to-shite. Concerning.

Hard bro! The crowds will starting coming back. Its a lot better now than last year's, the stadium people blocked people off from going to the other side of the stadium so they had to sit where the tv camera was facing to show at least some people attended the game. lol

Go Canes!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Hurricanes offside all night. Got away with murder. Inman clearly scored a try that was disallowed while the hurricanes clearly knocked a ball on and got awarded a try. Can't win

vegascane

Chris McKivat (8)
^^^^ contact was with the arm carrying the the ball rather than the ball therefore no knock on. Pains me to say it but Horrorcanes looking pretty awesome right now & I doubt even they could fuck it up from here....

Bro, don't say that bro, cause just when you know it Dion Waller or Norm Hewitt will pop out with a triple yellow/red card and screw it all up! lol

Don't jinx us now bro! lol

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Time to start playing Harris at 12.

9: Stir
10: Jack (Would prefer Hegarty but TT won't change)
11: Veainu
12: Harris
13: Inman
14: Sefa/Crawford
15: Ellison

At the moment we are only playing half a play maker and it's not working. Got the Reds next week who are on the improve and will be wanting a big win.

D

daz

Hurricanes offside all night. Got away with murder. Inman clearly scored a try that was disallowed while the hurricanes clearly knocked a ball on and got awarded a try. Can't win

To be fair, I couldn't see the ball grounded and obviously the TMO couldn't either. Fair call.

But the fucking offside all night is a whole other thing. But I reckon the Canes could have been down to 3 men and still won.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)

You're not implying the Rebels should have won are you?
The Hurricanes were clearly better.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
You're not implying the Rebels should have won are you?
The Hurricanes were clearly better.
Hahaha hell no. Rebels lacked imagination on attack. The only way they would of won that was if the canes had no possession. It was actually working in the first half

D

daz

Ha! Just been talking to a mate in France, who watched the game. Apparently we need a backs/attack coach.

I tend to agree. Do we actually have one?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm sick of this team. They were shit under Damien Hill but at least they were fun.

TT was always the worst choice (Handball) coach we could have got, from day one I knew it was going to be bad. He fooled everyone with a good win over the cheaters but it's time for a change.

I would have kept Hill over TT, now Hill is laughing at us sitting top of the table with his Japanese side.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
TT was always the worst choice (Handball) coach we could have got, from day one I knew it was going to be bad. He fooled everyone with a good win over the cheaters but it's time for a change.

I would have kept Hill over TT, now Hill is laughing at us sitting top of the table with his Japanese side.

I wasn't a fan when the hire was first made. Then we slayed the Cheetahs in that great game and I thought I'd got it wrong. Then came that game against the Force and I haven't trusted him since.

It's like he doesn't understand how Super Rugby works. You can't score <20 a game and expect to win unless you're a defensive juggernaut like the Stormers of a few years back - and even then they got done in the finals.

D

daz

I wasn't a fan when the hire was first made. Then we slayed the Cheetahs in that great game and I thought I'd got it wrong. Then came that game against the Force and I haven't trusted him since.

It's like he doesn't understand how Super Rugby works. You can't score <20 a game and expect to win unless you're a defensive juggernaut like the Stormers of a few years back - and even then they got done in the finals.

It's a NH style he follows, where 3 points to nil is considered a thrashing.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^
Try being a Munster fan and knowing what was going to happen as soon as we signed him. Meet one of the players who left at the end of last season sisters after the brumbies game and a lot of the players don't like his methods. (Not sure if it's just her brothers view)

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
It's a NH style he follows, where 3 points to nil is considered a thrashing.

I think so. Everything is so narrow, all about damage limitation. I've spent way too many games of this season and last watching like
tumblr_nfv3zaBBWJ1qzaebvo1_400.png

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Rebels were very disappointing. Very little intent in their attack, and their defense is very slow to realign on turnover ball. Notice also that the Canes did not kick for touch when they turned the ball over deep in their own 22. They ran wide and when they kicked, it was long. Very successful in turning defense into attack and even led directly to a try on one occasion.

Scrum looked a lot better when PAE came on. Showed what Dwyer and some others have been saying about him for some time. And he made some good strong metres with ball in hand as well.

Contrary to some opinions expressed on the Rebels'threads, I think Stirzaker is one of the problems in your attack atm. It seems to me that he really doesn't contribute much to managing the game, making some indifferent decisions at times in which way to continue the attack.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^^^
Couldn't agree more about Stirzaker, a scrum half needs to have a cool head and control the tempo of attack. His to snappy and does not slow it down and wait till the forwards are in position and ready. It's one of the reasons we have so many one off runners.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
^^^^^
Couldn't agree more about Stirzaker, a scrum half needs to have a cool head and control the tempo of attack. His to snappy and does not slow it down and wait till the forwards are in position and ready. It's one of the reasons we have so many one off runners.

i'd argue he is too slow at time and we lose momentum. Agree he needs to get Jack working to align the backs more quickly and get some front foot ball. This one-up shit will drive me to drin...oh wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.