• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
you don't get thousands of rusted on supporters in one season.
I doubt the Rays will ever outdraw the local derby,but that's because 2/3 of the derby crowd are there for the event,not the Rugby.
Are attendances the measure of success in any event?
Most seem to consider a replication of the ITM cup would be a success,yet their crowds aren't huge despite being a well established competition of many years standing.

T

TOCC

This is second season and crowds are down from last year

Hmm marginally, I don't think you can accurately gauge the crowds after 5 games, Spirit, Vikings and Rising draw the biggest crowds and they haven't played home games yet.

A few more rounds will provide an accurate trend of the crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To be honest TOCC if crowds stay around the same - but more watching live games either via Foxtel on Thursdays or live streams/replays then I see this as successful.

I still think overall heading in right direction as not discounting how tough it is to launch and grow a new competition. It will take a lot of hard work but believe in the product so reckon if hard work done can be successful.

Need to fix Stars business model as one team shute shield links for short term competition means they will struggle for crowd support. I think home ground in leichardt (inner west) right - but need other teams linked - pity politics get in the way as Easts and Randwick logical unaligned clubs (as NSW country provides minimal Sydney support given they play most of home games in NSW Country)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Need to fix Stars business model as one team shute shield links for short term competition means they will struggle for crowd support. I think home ground in leichardt (inner west) right - but need other teams linked - pity politics get in the way as Easts and Randwick logical unaligned clubs (as NSW country provides minimal Sydney support given they play most of home games in NSW Country)

This is the glaring problem in the Sydney part of the NRC. If NSW Country need a Sydney base, then it should be at Cambelltown (which is affiliated to Illawarra RU).

Unfortunately I see the Uni/Randwick/Easts issue as the rugby equivalent of the Middle East - seemingly without hope of solution.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Looking at crowd figures, linking the NSW NRC Franchises to Shute Shield clubs, either through the one club stand alone model - The Corporation and The Stars, or Randi-Wix and Dwyer's Dreams, or the multi club model - Joint Venture like the Rays or the Geographic Marriage of Convenience like the Rams, seems to be a flawed business model.

Like Qld, the central body should step in and run things in a benevolent dictatorial manner. Therein lies the problem. Who is the central body, and do they have the necessary skills, finances, knowledge and competence to do so?

History seems to suggest that NSW RU is not capable of performing in this manner. Waratahs Ltd have a very limited mandate, and bugger all $. Sydney RU can't even manage to run their own web site, let alone a NRC franchise/s. NSW Country produces some great players who go on to bigger and better things after they move to the big cities, but at least they can run a web site. It is somewhat telling that the NSW Country Eagles is completely independent of the NSW Country RU.

If there was an easy solution, it would already have been implemented. Perhaps the ARC imposed version of Fleet, Rays, and Rams would be best but like suggested above the Fleet is a Middle East problem given entrenched tribal parochialisms. The ARC model ran out of money. At least the current model seems to have finances secured, even if they are not generating much revenue from the gate. Ultimately money talks, and the ARU have to deal with the mobs that have the money, and the ability to absorb losses while the competition establishes a place in the Sporting landscape.

I think that the higher level marketing and PR interns could do a better job to raise awareness, particularly through their social media channels where the cost per set of eyes is relatively low.

Green and Gold Rugby, the Roar and Rugby News are providing outstanding NRC coverage, but by and large only the rusted on are consuming that coverage.

How good would it be if that coverage was promoted through the massive databases of other rugby bodies, high profile players, and rugby tragic celebrities?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nailed it HJ as the rusted on sites like G&G, the roar and Rugby News are doing a stirling job but that only covers as you state the rusted on - which is not where we need to grow the market.

As you state unfortunately NSW rugby is a hotch potch of internal politics so lacks central co-ordination....needs someone to step in - this is hard bit - not sure of answers here - but needs to be fixed...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^
History seems to suggest that NSW RU is not capable of performing in this manner. Waratahs Ltd have a very limited mandate, and bugger all $. Sydney RU can't even manage to run their own web site, let alone a NRC franchise/s. NSW Country produces some great players who go on to bigger and better things after they move to the big cities, but at least they can run a web site. It is somewhat telling that the NSW Country Eagles is completely independent of the NSW Country RU.

If there was an easy solution, it would already have been implemented. Perhaps the ARC imposed version of Fleet, Rays, and Rams would be best but like suggested above the Fleet is a Middle East problem given entrenched tribal parochialisms. The ARC model ran out of money. At least the current model seems to have finances secured, even if they are not generating much revenue from the gate. Ultimately money talks, and the ARU have to deal with the mobs that have the money, and the ability to absorb losses while the competition establishes a place in the Sporting landscape.
You've hit the nail on the head here. NSWRU showed with the fiasco of the ARC franchises that it has no capability to step in and organise anything. As the current shennanigans re the Waratahs management shows, there is also little benevolence at work either (except of course of the self-serving kind).

A benevolent dictatorship only works if the dictator is:
(a) competent, and
(b) benevolent

and alas the NSWRU fails on both counts.

To compound the problem that we face here, the solution requires someone who can:

(a) engage the grassroots from clubland, and
(b) engage the wider rugby public, and
(c) engage new fans in certain locations, and
(d) establish frachises/entities/whatever you want to call them which are forward thinking and attuned to the 21st century, rather than petty rivalries from a bygone era

The wisdom of Solomon is required and I see no figure on the horizon who has the gravitas required to achieve all 4 of these and the vision to move the game forward.

One only has to look at the NSW government trying to amalgamate local councils and we see that the same parochial self-interest, which is a human trait, at work.

Sigh

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Recognising the challenges I still see the Rams and rays as more viable as at least more viable given linked to mutliple clubs in defined regional area

Pity can't resolve middle East conflict between uni, easts and Randwick as could see logistically at least working playing couple of games at Leichhardt And say woollAhara oval

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was at the NSW Country vs Canberra Vikings Match at Woollahara oval today.

Being there reminded me how what a big loss it is not having Easts Rugby Club and Randwick Rugby Club not directly linked to Sydney Based NRC team. As in short lots of 'money' associated with East supporters (in particular) which attracts sponsors etc....as lots of money around the ground so to speak....

Also interesting listening into some conversations in background - lots of talk for some newcomers to NRC that were brought to game by friends or by themselves about how the points system attracting lots of tries and mention and discussion amongst supporters about why not this applied to super rugby etc and answers of northern hemisphere won't support it. So picking up vibe that the NRC definitely seems to be on a winner to those newly initiated (sample of 3 conversations on sideline listened into amongst 3 different groups)....

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It is great that the games are broadcast on Foxtel but I would give every "follower" of the Wallabies and Super teams a pass code to get access to free games on the internet.

Leading to the world cup there will be plenty of people sign up to follow that are not massive rugby fans and might be tempted to watch a new free game online.

The games need promotion by the Wallabies, how about the players being interviewed in NRC jerseys? Something needs to get the NRC out into the public.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I haven't seen the Woollahra or Perth games, but have thrown this team of the round together.

Can others help make appropriate additions?

Rnd 2 NRC

15 Tom Kingston - Stars
14 Iziah Perese - QC (Quade Cooper)
13 Nigel Ah-Wong - CV
12 Lloyd Johansson - MR
11 Harry Jones - Stars
10 Sam Greene - QC (Quade Cooper)
9 Jack Tuttle -QC (Quade Cooper)
8 Ita Vea - CV
7 David Hickey - Stars
6 David Dennis - Stars
5 Ned Hanigan - NCE
4 Cadyrn Neville - BC
3 Sam Talakai - BC
2 James Hanson - Stars
1 Haydn Hirsismacki -QC (Quade Cooper)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I haven't seen the Woollahra or Perth games, but have thrown this team of the round together.

Rnd 2 NRC

15 Tom Kingston - Stars
14 Iziah Perese - QC (Quade Cooper)
13 Nigel Ah-Wong - CV
12 Lloyd Johansson - MR
11 Harry Jones - Stars
10 Sam Greene - QC (Quade Cooper)
9 Jack Tuttle -QC (Quade Cooper)
8 Ita Vea - CV
7 David Hickey - Stars
6 David Dennis - Stars
5 Ned Hanigan - NCE
4 Cadyrn Neville - BC
3 Sam Talakai - BC
2 James Hanson - Stars
1 Haydn Hirsismacki -QC (Quade Cooper)

Looking good RR. From the Vikings/NSW Country game, Joe Powell had a very strong game and would pressure Tuttle for a spot, while the whole front row was probably just as impressive as the Qld Country front row. Also thought Jordan Smiler was a standout at 6 and probably better all round game than DD.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

I've only seen Stars-QC (Quade Cooper) and Spirit-Rays (and wasn't watching either forensically).

But for the Rays, Boyd Killingworth would be worth a shout. I know it's lazyman's option to pick a number 7 but he was noteworthy.

For Perth: Rory Walton; while not perfect was physically strong out there. Neither of these two guys got the MoTM though which AFAIK went to one of the Perth props - Ainsley- due to the scrum dominance).

Rays looked much more comfortable with the ball, though, and deserved their win. Spirit, for all their grunt up front, lacked composure.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Thought Meehan kept the Rising in it for large portions of the game, but probably didn't outperform Tuttle on Thursday. Reid was another who had a monster game, but again, probably didn't outperform Dennis.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Assistance with this week's TOTW please. I'll start it off and anyone can propose any obvious ommisions:

15 Paul Asquith (Rams)
14 Jerome Nuimata (Vikings)
12 Campbell Magney (QLD Country)
11 Chris Kuridrani (City)
10 Jack Debreczeni (Rising)
9 Jake Gordan (Stars)
8 Ita Vaea (Vikings)
7 Liam Gill (City)
6 Jordan Smiler (Rising)
5 Matt Philip (Stars)
4 Rory Arnold (Vikings)
3 Sef Fa'agase (QLD Country)
2 Andrew Reddy (City)

Really happy to take further suggestions.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Assistance with this week's TOTW please. I'll start it off and anyone can propose any obvious ommisions:

15 Paul Asquith (Rams)
14 Jerome Nuimata (Vikings)
12 Campbell Magney (QLD Country)
11 Chris Kuridrani (City)
10 Jack Debreczeni (Rising)
9 Jake Gordan (Stars)
8 Ita Vaea (Vikings)
7 Liam Gill (City)
6 Jordan Smiler (Rising)
5 Matt Philip (Stars)
4 Rory Arnold (Vikings)
3 Sef Fa'agase (QLD Country)
2 Andrew Reddy (City)

Really happy to take further suggestions.

I thought the Vikings' Jordan Smiler had a better game than the Rising's Jordan Smiler. Not having seen some of the games, I would put Alan Ala'alatoa in the mix for No 1. The Vikings' scrum was dominant and he was also strong around the park. Also, while Rory Arnold was pretty good, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another lock somewhere who might have had a better game. Problem for Rory I guess was that he was playing in a side that had very solid performances across the board.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Tom Carter played the entire second half as outside centre from the bench and did pretty well.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think Tom Carter played the entire second half as outside centre from the bench and did pretty well.

Yes I thought Jim Stewart played much better for much of second half and now realised it was Carter who had replaced him (opps - problem watching live at the oval from a distance).

Status
Not open for further replies.