• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
NRC losing the media coverage this season...

As bought the daily telegraph yet no mention of NRC or even listing the results. Would have thought getting a small box in wallabies covereage would be gold.....ARU need to work with media outlets to get at least small coverage in papers (not expecting much but same as last year would be good start as gone backwards).

This is not good.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So we are well into NRC and time for a mid season review of what is working and opportunities for improvement for NRC....ARU pls take note... but note heading in right direction but opportunities for improvement which hope is taken positively rather than negatively as always opportunities to improve....with what is a great product....pls feel free to add / disagree etc

Pro's

- Having all games live and streamed and in one location ie. foxsports on demand excellent....we also need to look after our key partners - foxsports one of them.....but refer con's / concerns as letting people know about it and where to go to watch it is a bit tragic....

- Making sustainable financially by moving to suburban grounds given in early stages....very sensible - and getting game of rugby out to masses makes a lot of sense....suburban grounds whilst in infancy is fine...

- Home and away gear - good

- Baa Baa's game - superb......as brand awareness (compared to say league / AFL) is at international level so this is very positive development as need to leverage strengths but refer cons/concerns....

- Foxtels review on Monday nights very good to get message out...but refer cons/concerns....this is good though..

- Starting to see some cross promotion of NRC review on live stream games for foxsports review of NRC games on Monday night and where to go for NRC on demand but pls more effort generally....

Cons/Concerns

- Where is the media coverage...ie don't expect much given where at in terms of stage of development but last year would at least have results reported in main papers but now not getting that. ARU has some clout as brand - pls sort it out as that is very poor....pls sort out as this is SERIOUS concern....

- Marketing....golly gosh - this probably should be tops or at least pressing for this which related to first concern in any case ...where is it...where are we using the more powerful Wallaby and Super Rugby Brands to market this comp......Foxtel improving but gees work with our key partners (e.g. Foxtel) and pls better market this product as is a good product.....e.g baa baas game excellent but pls market it as chance to watch next generation of prospective wallabies ie find the hook pls.....as it is there - and no I don't have all the answers but you have the research and data to get the answers...

- Where to go to watch games live....I was desparate to watch NRC games live so searched far and wide....as finding out where games streamed a minefield as was registering to view this given had complimentary access as foxsports subscriber on Foxtel....this has been disasterous.....pls provide more direct hyper links via coverage in news stories etc as to where to go to watch the games live as this gets 0.5 out of 10 and that is generous....

- Team Model - ...not got NSW teams sorted but don't want less teams so pls intervene ARU and get relevant parties at the table to sort out the Sydney teams issue - rugby in inner west makes a lot of sense...one shute shield side behind stars doesn't....get Easts and Randwick (premier Sydney clubs and brands) to the table as latter aligned with NSW Country Eagles ridiculous as latter needs to focus on promoting rugby to regional NSW (and protect them other ways via first picks etc) but ensure premier Sydney club brands aligned to Sydney based team that plays all home games in Sydney..

That's enough from me as others will no doubt have views to express here...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Should also add the selection of schoolboy star players ie. Nick Joost for perth spirit and theo strang for stars very positive as creates a conversation piece that creates interest ie. who doesn't want to know early who are the real schoolboy stars who could be the next wallabies...

Obviously needs to be managed appropriately - as Perth Spirit done with Joost and hopefully we see theo strang play for stars with GPS commitments out of the way etc - but this comp is about marketing as pathway to higher honours where the bigger brand / following is (as again unlike league / AFL where at club level game strong - rugby is stronger at international and state level through super rugby so hence need to play to your strengths and use top level brands to grow grass roots interest etc).....

Very good ploy and assume (?) must have been some clearance or encouragement given to include schoolboy stars (if good enough for squad) which is fantastic as trust me at Stars vs Perth Spirit game lots of talk about Nick Joost following his "try".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Good enough is old enough.

BTW while Jooste is still at school, he was older than Campbell Magnay was when he made his NRC debut last year.

Other young'uns of note in NRC are:
Sione TUIPOLOTU (Rising) is also an U18.
Guy PORTER (Stars) is another U18 who is in the Stars main squad but hasn't played or been on the bench yet.

By my count, these blokes are Under 19 this year playing NRC (most off the bench, but a couple are regular run on players):
Moses SOROVI (Brisbane City)
James TUTTLE (Qld Country) - He has Captained the team. Amazing.
Campbell MAGNAY (Qld Country)
Izaia PERESE (Qld Country)
Alex MAFI (Qld Country)
Taniela TUPOU (Qld Country)
Maclean JONES (Qld Country)
Declan MOORE (Stars)
Tyrel LOMAX (UC Vikings)
Harry NUCIFORA (Qld Country) In the squad - not sure if he has played yet
James WILKINSON (Rays) In the squad - hasn't played yet

There are also a fair stack of U19's floating around in the various NRC development squads and WTG's.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thanks HJ - I did not realise James Tuttle was so young...very impressive.....to be captaining the team at such a young age.

This comp presents great opportunities to develop players and provide those sort of opportunities..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Week 4 team.

I need a 12 and lock please lads. Anyone?

15 Karmichael Hunt Brisbane City
14 Harry Jones Sydney Stars
13 Charlie Clifton NSW Country Eagles
11 Alex Northam North Harbour Rays
10 Jono Lance NSW Country Eagles
9 Josh Holmes North Harbour Rays
8 Ita Vaea UC Vikings
7 Liam Gill Brisbane City
6 Dean Oakman-Hunt UC Vikings
4 Ben Hyne Brisbane City
3 Sam Talakai Brisbane City
2 Luke Holmes North Harbour Rays

1 Allan Ala'alatoa UC Vikings

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I only watched the City v Rays and Eagles v Stars games but I thought that Staniforth was good for the Eagles (and Hyne for City who you've already got). At 12, Horwitz was the best of those four teams.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Thanks BH. MIght go Horwitz.

RN I did think Neville but didn't want Briso to monopolise.

Horwitz would be a good choice. He's added a bit of abrasive ness to his game this year. Transformed himself from purely a playmaker to a good hard running 12 that bends the line more often or not. Add in the playmaking and he's a good choice.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I actually am really looking forward to his face off with Kerevi. I think Horwitz is currently the best 12 in the NRC but I think playing a tough and confrontational 12 like Kerevi will be a good test of where he is.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Reg, surely L. Holmes can't be in the TOTW with the scrum performance of the Rays on Thursday night. Set piece was horrible by that pack.
I thought one player who performed very well was the Perth Spirit stand in hooker for Tessman was impressive. Great set piece as well few nifty runs around the paddock against some stiff opposition in Able, Allalatoa and Makin.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg, surely L. Holmes can't be in the TOTW with the scrum performance of the Rays on Thursday night. Set piece was horrible by that pack.
I thought one player who performed very well was the Perth Spirit stand in hooker for Tessman was impressive. Great set piece as well few nifty runs around the paddock against some stiff opposition in Able, Allalatoa and Makin.

I don't blame Holmes for the scrum wows. It was pretty clear where the issues were.

But I had the chance to watch the Vikings v spirit game and Rangi is one of a couple of Perth players who are now in the side.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Blake Enever was particularly good for the Vikings. Played himself to an absolute standstill, but managed to keep getting to his feet to take the Spirit on again. And as noted by others, the role of the lock is important in scrum performance, and the Vikings' scrum dominated the Spirit's. Even when down to 7 men, they held the Spirit scrum out near their own try line on a number of occasions.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Beginning to agree with many on here that perhaps Sydney has too many teams.

Perhaps western Sydney (including inner western Sydney) best represented by RAMS ie have Uni included in RAMS fold (ignoring politics for one moment) and Rams play 1-2 matches at leichardt or concord oval, one down South and 1-2 out west past parramatta

Need to have competitive Western Sydney Side that has good fan base aligned to strong clubs - Western Sydney important battle ground for Sydney which already struggling at Shute Shield level with Penrith and Parramatta the whipping boys due to lack of appropriate support.

At this stage of competition perhaps therefore we have 8 teams (uni joins Rams consortium)

Status
Not open for further replies.