• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Annual Awards 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's because his defining trait, in my eyes anyway, is his competence. He's just a good, solid, player who runs a game well. He'd be a pretty marginal selection for best flyhalf in the world, so saying he's the best player is just a bit eh.

I think he's had an excellent season though. Top point scorer and equal top try scorer in the 6 Nations and led Ireland to victory where they probably started the tournament nowhere near favourites.

MOTM performance against South Africa on the weekend in a big upset.

I think there's a big difference between NH and SH fans in terms of how we value players. We seem to give very little credit to kicking games and goalkicking.

If this was an Aussie list we'd probably name two backrowers and three outside backs every year.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think he's had an excellent season though. Top point scorer and equal top try scorer in the 6 Nations and led Ireland to victory where they probably started the tournament nowhere near favourites.

MOTM performance against South Africa on the weekend in a big upset.

I think there's a big difference between NH and SH fans in terms of how we value players. We seem to give very little credit to kicking games and goalkicking.

If this was an Aussie list we'd probably name two backrowers and three outside backs every year.

For sure. I just think he's a slightly better version of Bernard Foley is all. He's a good player, but nothing special.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For sure. I just think he's a slightly better version of Bernard Foley is all. He's a good player, but nothing special.

It's probably his consistency more than anything. I think his average is much closer to his best than most players.

If Foley played 10 for the Wallabies all next year, continued to kick very well and our results exceeded expectations, he'd probably be a chance at getting a nomination.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
It's probably his consistency more than anything. I think his average is much closer to his best than most players.

If Foley played 10 for the Wallabies all next year, continued to kick very well and our results exceeded expectations, he'd probably be a chance at getting a nomination.

Totally agree. He's consistently good, but you rarely/never get those 'holy shit did you just see that?' moments you do from Retallick/Vermeulen/Savea.

I do have a deep and abiding weakness for flakey x-factor types though, so a player like Sexton is never really going to do it for me.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't have any problems with nominations, think Sexton probably has been best 10 around this year ,and probably been good enough to get nomination. Also don't think anyone too hard done by to not get in. There is often someone we imagine should be there for whatever reason, mostly because he plays for team we support, so therefore is obviously best in world!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Sextons objectively the best fly half in the Northern Hemisphere. I'd also take him over Lambie, Pollard, Foley, Steyn, Spade, Barrett and Cooper.

A fit Dan Carter probably wins, but we've not seen that for a few years. Cruden is a 50/50 call, but Sextons been better this year.

I agree that Sexton has had an amazing year and do think he'd be up there with the best flyhalves in the world but id rate Cruden a better flyhalf. On a good day I'd much prefer Cooper. I'm not so sure he would be selected at flyhalf if he played for australia. He is consistent though.

To early to compare him the Foley who's only just started his test career.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Retallick for me, he opened my eyes in a Rebels game a couple of years ago, huge ticker and a freakish ability to read play and put himself in the right spot. Now actually outshines Whitelock and it wasn't that long ago Whitelock was IMO world best lock. I respect the patriotism on the board but I don't think any of our players are close to top 5. Folau could be next year, he is not yet fully formed I believe. Slipper is pushing up again maybe next year but do props ever get these awards?

We do have a good chunk of really promising players I just feel none of them are close this year. On pure talent for me it would be JOC (James O'Connor) but pure talent is not the test, the players standard is and his has been all over the shop due to poor judgement.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Sextons quality isn't that he's 'solid', it's the fact that the guy has a ridiculous distribution game and pass range/accuracy/vision. He leads back lines considerably better than most 10 ' s around, only Carter pips him I'm this regard. I'd of loved to have seen Sexton in an AB shirt to see the kind of tries he would set up with their firepower in midfield and on the wings.

The guy has a huge mental resolve too. Feircely competitive. Pretty much won Leinster the 2011 HC when they were down 22-3 at halftime and Sexton scored two tries and a few penalties to secure a Leinster comeback. Also had a similar performance against France this year to get Ireland a 6N win.

He's basically a general on field with these two traits which is what your 10 should be. He isn't quite Carter but he is certainly in his mould.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks for the spiel Mrs. Sexton.

For me, it's a toss up between Vermuelen and Retallick - Vermuelen more so because he has played the more games then the latter (I think?). How Willie le Roux is on that list is beyond me. If anything, George North should be there before him.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sexton sneaks it by virtue of being the sole NH candidate, for he doesn't have to worry about the NH votes being split up. That isn't to say he isn't undeserving; he has been the most consistent international flyhalf in 2014. Vermuelen and Retallick have just had more standout performances.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Sextons quality isn't that he's 'solid', it's the fact that the guy has a ridiculous distribution game and pass range/accuracy/vision. He leads back lines considerably better than most 10 ' s around, only Carter pips him I'm this regard. I'd of loved to have seen Sexton in an AB shirt to see the kind of tries he would set up with their firepower in midfield and on the wings.

The guy has a huge mental resolve too. Feircely competitive. Pretty much won Leinster the 2011 HC when they were down 22-3 at halftime and Sexton scored two tries and a few penalties to secure a Leinster comeback. Also had a similar performance against France this year to get Ireland a 6N win.

He's basically a general on field with these two traits which is what your 10 should be. He isn't quite Carter but he is certainly in his mould.
Sexton has been assisted by having one of the top three scrum halves in the game to assist him this year, imho Murray is the best 9 in the world now but I am biased. As a combination I think Murray and Sexton take some topping in world rugby right now. Murray especially helps because he has a wonderful kicking game.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Looks like the public don't respect the unseen workers; Savea leading by a healthy margin.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415917418.630292.jpg

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
If Sexton wins the popularity vote I'll probably curse and swear under my breath. What a joke.

At least Savea has the benefit of being selectable in a world XV for his position.

Bullshit NH bloc voting. Aren't they the lot who supposedly bar up at the prospect of grim mauling and scrummaging in the rain? Surely Retallick is more valuable.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Sexton wins the popularity vote I'll probably curse and swear under my breath. What a joke.

At least Savea has the benefit of being selectable in a world XV for his position.

Bullshit NH bloc voting. Aren't they the lot who supposedly bar up at the prospect of grim mauling and scrummaging in the rain? Surely Retallick is more valuable.

Who would you select as the 10 in a world XV in 2014? I think the closest contender is Cruden and he missed a bunch of Super Rugby with a broken thumb and a few tests through his disciplinary exile and I don't think his form has been at its peak this year.

Sexton is probably one of the easier selections in a World XV in 2014 in my opinion.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Althinaur, A front rower won the inaugural POTY (Keith Wood) so there is no reason why a fatty couldn't win the award at some future date. If The Golden Slipper keeps on keeping on as he has done recently, in a year or two he could be on the short list, but he faces some fierce competition from others in the Gold Squad to even be considered the Australian Candidate.

Opening the voting to the public once the short list is announced is a great way to engage the fanbase, but it will Eurovisionise (is that a word?) the award in a way that the IOC, FIFA and the faceless men of Sussex Street in the NSW Labor Party would be proud of.

Plus ça change plus c'est la même chose. Even when Secret Mens Business decided the award, there were claims of bloc voting, political manipulation and popularist considerations in the shortlisted nominees and the POTY announcement.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Vermeulen is hugely behind wow. Again, I wonder if the fact Savea has a huge benefit in that scoring a try will stick in supporters minds more than turnover by Vermeulen or a lineout steal by Retallick.

On that note a second row has never won the award. Of the other forwards who have won it, Wood (2002) had his rampaging runs, Burger (2004) and Dusautoir (2010) both regularly put in huge hits and McCaw has a ridiculous try rate for a forward as well as being the AB captain. All things that are either rare for forwards, or in the case of Burger and Dusautoir things that going to sway the votes of 'part time' rugby fans.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Some of you blokes are doing Sexton a disservice, he is as complete a 10 that you'd find in rugby at the moment. Good kicking game, strong runner, great passing and vision and a phenomenal defender. His attacking strengths aren't as subtle as someone like Cooper, but he regularly breaks the line and scores a lot of tries for a ten. All in all he'd be a deserving winner but I'd personally vote for Vermuelen

Status
Not open for further replies.