• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Annual Awards 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

The 2014 Hall of Fame Men's inductees.
Interestingly there is only one Southern Hemisphere player this year, that being Michael Lynagh.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

IRB tries of the year.

Johnny May's is a sensational solo piece as is Magali Harvey's. She has incredible turn of pace and a slick side step. I can't really pick my winner, all fantastic.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

IRB tries of the year.

Johnny May's is a sensational solo piece as is Magali Harvey's. She has incredible turn of pace and a slick side step. I can't really pick my winner, all fantastic.

I'm a little surprised this one didn't make the cut:

I suspect they'll give the award to Harvey.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
seen a lot of different posts on FB about the "try of the year" catergory, cant understand anyone voting for May over the Canadian woman, if they are voting on individual brilliance that woman did everything May did for his try plus more.

And not that it counts but I heard she slotted the conversion herself afterwards too.

Would be good to see a 7's try of the year added too, not sure if it is done at another time but I feel like it should be linked in with the rest of these awards.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NZL get the trifecta: Retallick is POTY, Hanson is Coach of the Year and NZ were Team of the Year.

More here:
http://www.worldrugby.org/news/38472

The IRB Annual Awards categories (and winners for those awards that have already been announced):
IRB Player of the Year: Brodie Retallick (NZL)
IRB Team of the Year: New Zealand
IRB Coach of the Year: Steve Hanson (NZL)
IRPA Try of the Year: ??
IRB Women's Player of the Year: Magali Harvey (CAN)
IRB Development Award: ??
The Vernon Pugh Award for Distinguished Service: Ray Williams (WAL)
IRB Spirit of Rugby Award: ??
IRB Junior Player of the Year: Handre Pollard (SAF)
IRB Sevens Player of the Year: Samisoni Veriveri (FIJ)
IRB Womens Sevens Player of the Year: Emilee Cheery (AUS)
IRB Referee Award for Distinguished Service: Bob Francis (NZL)
IRB Hall Of Fame Inductees for 2014: Fred Allen (NZL), Bill Beaumont (ENG), Phil Bennett(WAL), Naas Botha (SAF), Gordon Brown (SCO), Don Clarke (NZL), Gerald Davies (WAL), Mervyn Davies (WAL), Morne du Plessis (SAF), Ieuan Evans (WAL), Sean Fitzpatrick (NZL), Grant Fox (NZL), Danie Gerber (SAF), Tim Horan (AUS), Andy Irvine (SCO), Carwyn James(WAL), Barry John (WAL), Michael Jones (NZL), Tom Kiernan (IRE), Ian Kirkpatrick (NZL), John Kirwan (NZL), Jason Leonard (ENG), Michael Lynagh (AUS), Bill McLaren (SCO), Terry McLean (NZL), Jo Maso (FRA), Colin Meads (NZL), Graham Mourie (NZL), Hennie Muller(SAF), George Nepia (NZL), Gwyn Nicholls (WAL), Jean-Pierre Rives (FRA), Fergus Slattery(IRE), Joost van der Westhuizen (SAF), Wavell Wakefield (ENG), JPR Williams (WAL), Keith Wood (IRE).

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
It's interesting to look at past junior players of the year (other nominees in brackets):

2008: Luke Braid
2009: Aaron Cruden (Winston Stanley, Carl Fearns, Richard Kingi)
2010: Julian Savea (Tyler Bleyendaal, Robbie Coleman, Ignacio Rodriguez Muedra)
2011: George Ford (Luke Whitelock, Sam Cane)
2012: Jan Serfontein (JJ Hanrahan, Shaun Adendorff)
2013: Sam Davies (Ardie Savea, Jack Clifford)
2014: Handre Pollard (Nathan Earle, Tevita Li, Garry Ringrose)

Obviously some of them might still make it, but out of that list - including the other nominees - only a few have kicked on to have any kind of impact at international level, namely Cruden, Savea, Ford, Cane, Serfontein and Pollard.

Status
Not open for further replies.