• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If I can find the original topic (I think I started :frans) I will merge,

but in the mean time:

Two players with senior Wallabies experience headline coach David Nucifora’s Australian Under 20s squad which is expected to be highly competitive at the IRB Junior World Championships in Argentina in June.

Wallabies Spring Tourists, CA Brumbies flyhalf Matt To'omua and Queensland Reds winger Luke Morahan are key inclusions in the 26-man squad which will kick off its campaign with a pool match against Scotland in Santa Fe on Saturday 5 June before matches against Tonga in Parana (9 June) and South Africa in Santa Fe (13 June).

To'omua is one of five players selected from the ACT, including fellow Investec Bank Super 14 representatives Colby Fainga'a, Michael Hooper and Robbie Coleman. Brumbies Academy and Queanbeyan Whites scrumhalf is the fifth ACT representative in the squad.

Eight players in the squad have tasted top-tier Rugby during the 2010 Investec Bank Super 14 season earning selection, including Queensland Reds backrower Jake Schatz, Western Force lock Luke Jones and halfback Justin Turner have also been given the nod.

Several Australian Sevens representatives, who have proved their pedigree on the IRB Sevens World Series circuit this year, have also made the grade with Queensland quartet - backrower Ed Quirk, flanker Liam Gill, winger Kimami Sitauti and outside back Dominic Shipperley receiving the call up into Nucifora’s squad.

Nucifora will also draw on the invaluable experience of six players who were included on last year’s Australian Schoolboys tour to the UK and Ireland.

After a disappointing result at last year’s championships in Japan, where Australia fell to South Africa 32-5 in the playoff for third, hopes are high this side will have the skill and execution to end New Zealand’s two-year reign as world champions.

Coleman, Schatz, To'omua and Nic White are the only players to return from the class of 2009 for a second tilt at the Under 20’s world title.

Should Australia progress through their pool matches they will play a semi-final on 17 June with the final scheduled for 21 June at Estadio El Coloso del Parque in Rosario.

The 26-man Australian Under 20 squad will assemble at the AIS in Canberra on 21 May and will later relocate to Sydney before to departing for Buenos Aires on May 31.

Australian U20 squad:

Forwards: Cruze Ah-Nau (WA), Paul Alo-Emile (QLD), Phoenix Battye (NSW), Colby Fainga'a (ACT), Liam Gill (QLD), Michael Hooper (ACT), Luke Jones (WA), Salesi Manu (NSW), Gregory Peterson (NSW), Edward Quirk (QLD), Sam Roberson (NSW), Siliva Siliva (WA), Scott Sio (NSW), Jake Schatz (QLD).

Backs: Tim Bennetts (NSW), Robbie Coleman (ACT), Greg Jeloudev (NSW), Jonathon Lance (QLD), Cameron Mitchell (NSW), Dominic Shipperley (QLD), Kimami Sitauti (QLD), Aidan Toua (QLD), Matt To'omua (ACT), Luke Morahan (QLD), Justin Turner (WA), Nic White (ACT).

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Re: Oz U20 squad

Colby Fainga'a (ACT), Michael Hooper (ACT), Jake Schatz (QLD), Robbie Coleman (ACT),Matt To'omua (ACT), Luke Morahan (QLD), Justin Turner (WA) are the ones i'm excited about, any other we should keep an eye on?

anyone know if this will be on fox again?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I don't know all the players, but somewhat based on reputation?:

15 Aidan Toua
14 Kimami Sitauti
13 Dominic Shipperley
12 Jonathon Lance
11 Luke Morahan
10 Matt To'omua
9 Justin Turner
8 Jake Schatz
7 Liam Gill / Colby Fainga'a / Michael Hooper
6 Edward Quirk
5 Gregory Peterson
4 Luke Jones
3 Paul Alo-Emile

I'll admit this may be too QLD focussed, especially in the backs. Don't know the other front row options.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Scott Sio from the Pirates should be first choice at LHP. His father played THP for Western Samoa some 20 years ago, first RWC I think. Scott's played juniors with my son from under 9s.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

louie said:
Colby Fainga'a (ACT), Michael Hooper (ACT), Jake Schatz (QLD), Robbie Coleman (ACT),Matt To'omua (ACT), Luke Morahan (QLD), Justin Turner (WA) are the ones i'm excited about, any other we should keep an eye on?

ESPN have the rights, but from what I've heard its limited in the pools (and won't feature Australia I think) and then the finals.

As for young stars? Ed Quirk has the wraps. Jones and Peterson are a couple of U20 2metre locks, which sounds appealing. THP Paul Alo-Emile has big wraps as well.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

louie said:

Liam Gill (QLD), Gregory Peterson (NSW), Kimami Sitauti (QLD), Aidan Toua (QLD) would all be worth a look at too

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Cameron Mitchell (Aus Schools Capt) & Tim Bennetts are pretty good too, but may be bench players

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Greg Jeloudev picked ahead of Clinton Sills? Sills was ahead of Jeloudev at Uni last year and is playing 1st Grade while Jeloudev is still playing 1st grade colts.

And fyi I am a Kings boy so no bias here!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Clinton Sills

DOB: 16 October, 1990

Ht/Wt: 185cm/81kg

Position: Fullback/Wing

Club: Sydney University (NSW)

Representative Honours: Australian Sevens (2009), Australian Under 20’s (2009)

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Well he is 20 for a good couple months after the tournament has started?

He was apart of the schoolboy system two seasons ago?

T

tranquility

However Cruze and Turner are the only legit WA ones.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

en_force_er said:
Isn't Sills injured?

Sills has played the last two weeks for Randwick first game a full game in 2nd grade and a run off the bench in 1st grade, 2nd grade full game in 1st grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.