• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Re: Oz U20 squad

On a bit of a side note, why do I have a pic of a Tah in my avatar???

C

chief

farva said:
Reddy! said:
Good to see a few WA boys in that squad.

Luke Jones (WA),

Thats right!
They select an avatar for you based on your name. Scott Fava is chosen for you because it relates closely to your name

The battle for Number 7 will be immense, Gill, Hooper and Faainga should be very, very tough.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)

Kane Doglas? or has he been left out because they know he will be playing for the Wallabies?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Lindommer said:
Scott Sio from the Pirates should be first choice at LHP. His father played THP for Western Samoa some 20 years ago, first RWC I think. Scott's played juniors with my son from under 9s.

Some handy bloodlines at the Pirates with Michael Ala'alatoa, Vili's son also playing! At the moment I wouldn't call the West Harbour Front Row a bad front row at all with the Maafu's but they do like to produce a front rower.

Rodney Blake etc.

Sio's done well to get himself from CAS 2nd's last season -> NSW Schoolboys -> Australian Schoolboys -> West Harbour 3rd Grade -> West Harbour 2nd Grade -> Australian U20 WC Squad

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

Noddy said:
Australian U20 squad:

Forwards: Cruze Ah-Nau (WA), Paul Alo-Emile (QLD), Phoenix Battye (NSW), Colby Fainga'a (ACT), Liam Gill (QLD), Michael Hooper (ACT), Luke Jones (WA), Salesi Manu (NSW), Gregory Peterson (NSW), Edward Quirk (QLD), Sam Roberson (NSW), Siliva Siliva (WA), Scott Sio (NSW), Jake Schatz (QLD).

Backs: Tim Bennetts (NSW), Robbie Coleman (ACT), Greg Jeloudev (NSW), Jonathon Lance (QLD), Cameron Mitchell (NSW), Dominic Shipperley (QLD), Kimami Sitauti (QLD), Aidan Toua (QLD), Matt To'omua (ACT), Luke Morahan (QLD), Justin Turner (WA), Nic White (ACT).
[/quote] Interesting omission for mine is McCaffrey from NSW, given he is on the fringes of Waratah's selection. Also Stefano Hunt who has made his S14 debut as well.

Like Chief, I wonder who will win the selection battle of the 7's? Two who've already played S14, and one who has been a standout for the Sevens team.

The big unknown for me is the front row. Ah Nau, Manu, Robertson and Siliva. Any form guide on these guys?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

I suspect that Hunt is over rated but there may be others reasons for his nonselection.

S

scrubber

Interesting that Mark Swanepole did not make the side - something about attitude last year in Tokyo

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)

Paul Alo-Emille is a great player of the future. However I beleive there are better props playing Premier Colts in Brisbane. In the West v SB game Luthera Rupeni got the better of Paul as did Sione Fxxxx (sp).

How far a net do the selectors cast and what opportunities are there for the blokes that have not been identified?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

that's a really valid point Lion. I doubt the selectors are getting out to club games. They'd be picking the pro players first, then looking at the academy. So if there's any 'late' bloomers, those not having come through the system, I think they would find it very hard to get noticed.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)

Noddy said:
that's a really valid point Lion. I doubt the selectors are getting out to club games. They'd be picking the pro players first, then looking at the academy. So if there's any 'late' bloomers, those not having come through the system, I think they would find it very hard to get noticed.

Noddy, The pathways for Players in QLD and Australia are a concern. If you havent made the Academy where do they go what opportunities do they have??

S

scrubber

Lion said:
Paul Alo-Emille is a great player of the future. However I beleive there are better props playing Premier Colts in Brisbane. In the West v SB game Luthera Rupeni got the better of Paul as did Sione Fxxxx (sp).

How far a net do the selectors cast and what opportunities are there for the blokes that have not been identified?

Paul A-E has the potential because of his size now as a kid. After a few years of extremely hard work his body shape WILL change and he will shed all the kid fat - probably end up being 120kg and hard one day - until then he will probably get belted until his technique improves and his mobility amidst the faster adult game improves but great kid and wish him luck

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)

As I said he could be a star of the future. Aus U20s should be the best in thier position now.

S

scrubber

tranquility said:
he also has an excellent attitude.
Agree totally and with that attitude and hard work motivation and the right mentoring he hopefully will go all the way in the future

Really looking forward to Gill in this competition - real goer

C

chief

I'm very surprised Gill has been looked over for Reds selection this year. As he's been a 7's star player, and in the Reds 2nd XV he had a solid game against the touring team. I thought they might have 'blooded' him earlier. He could have been the missing link for this up and coming Hurricanes game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Is Nucifora still the coach? Will be interesting to see how they go. There was some reports that not everyone was happy last year.

I thought David Feao from Souths in Brisbane might have been a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.