• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doc

Re: Oz U20 squad

Jets said:
Is Nucifora still the coach? Will be interesting to see how they go. There was some reports that not everyone was happy last year.

I thought David Feao from Souths in Brisbane might have been a shot.

Same. Esp., given he's been playing qld a or 2nd xv and a proven performer at Prem grade level.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

AussieDominance said:
Some handy bloodlines at the Pirates with Michael Ala'alatoa, Vili's son also playing! At the moment I wouldn't call the West Harbour Front Row a bad front row at all with the Ma'afus but they do like to produce a front rower. Rodney Blake etc.

Rodney Blake, Salesi and Campese Ma'afu, Laurie Weeks, Scott Sio and Michael Ala'alatoa all started their careers at Wests Junior Rugby. Would that make the Pirates Australia's premier prop factory?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)

Lindommer said:
AussieDominance said:
Some handy bloodlines at the Pirates with Michael Ala'alatoa, Vili's son also playing! At the moment I wouldn't call the West Harbour Front Row a bad front row at all with the Ma'afus but they do like to produce a front rower. Rodney Blake etc.

Rodney Blake, Salesi and Campese Ma'afu, Laurie Weeks, Scott Sio and Michael Ala'alatoa all started their careers at Wests Junior Rugby. Would that make the Pirates Australia's premier prop factory?

Not to mention a while back a bloke named Tony Daley started at Wests before being poached by the scum in green as well as a mighty Reds prop by the name of Matt Ryan. Didn't Topo play for Wests when he arrived from Argentina?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Noddy said:
Eastwood have had some gooduns too.

Dunning, Alexander, Robinson, Fitzpatrick(not a local junior though), Broughton - Rouse, Longbottom(Not a local junior), Jeremy Paul, Rod Moore, Bill Young - anyone else I have missed over the last 10-15 years?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Noddy said:
JP obviously not a local jnr. Who did Richard Harry play for?

He was a backrower at Eastwood before switching to Uni where he started playing prop.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)

Bruce Ross said:
Noddy said:
JP obviously not a local jnr. Who did Richard Harry play for?

He was a backrower at Eastwood before switching to Uni where he started playing prop.

Guess I was wrong. Cheers for clearing that up Bruce.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Aussie D said:
Not to mention a while back a bloke named Tony Daly started at Wests before being poached by the scum in green as well as a mighty Reds prop by the name of Matt Ryan. Didn't Topo play for Wests when he arrived from Argentina?

Forgot about Tony Daly but he's played for so many clubs I have touble remembering them all. His father once told me "Tony's got more clubs than Jack Nicklaus".

Matt Ryan? "Mighty Reds Prop"? Crikey, AD, ease up. Joeys, Australian Schoolboys and Randwick thank you very much.

Topo played for the Rats.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Every year I write that this team will struggle to get parity, let alone dominance, in the forwards, and 2010 looks like it will be the same. The backs will be good enough, as they mostly are, but I fear that the forwards will not be able to provide them quality ball in the tough play-off games if they make it through, nor to stop opposing forwards providing it for their backlines.

Of the players in the squad: Sio, Jones, Peterson, PAE, Fainga'a, Gill, Hooper, Quirk, Shipperly and Sitauti are all eligible next year also. Gill is even eligible for 2012. Whilst that is fine for 2011 it is not so good for 2010. It would be better with more players, especially forwards, with that extra year of senior rugby behind them.

As usual, I hope that I am wrong.

By position the team is (with my likely 1st XV bolded):

Loosehead prop
1. Salesi Manu
is an an outstanding prospect. In 2008 he was the Oz Schools LHP and now he is starting for Manly. He monstered the Norths TH side of the scrum in the Shute Shield TV game last Saturday and should go well.

Scott Sio is an athletic player who can also play 8. He seems to be a natural to be cross-trained as a hooker. Like Manu was in his first year after leaving school, he is in the Tahs amateur academy and playing 2nd grade for his club (West Harbour).

Hooker
2. Sam Roberson
is in the Tahs amateur academy and I've seen him play decently for the Junior Waratahs. He's also been sharing the hooking duties with Ben Roberts in 1st Grade for Sydney Uni this year. I would start him on the stength of that and because I haven't seen Siliva Siliva from WA since he was at school, when Roberson was preferred for Oz Schools (playing with Manu) and SS played for Oz A Schools.

The quality of the hookers will probably not compare with last years crop: all 3 ended up playing S14 this year and 2 of them started in games.

THP
3. Paul Alo-Emile
is the best schools THP I ever saw but it may not mean a lot for this year's tournament so soon after leaving school. Perhaps folks up north can advise about how he is playing in grade rugby.

Cruze Ah-Nau - I haven't seen him since his school days when he made the Oz A schools team.

2nd Row
4. Luke Jones
and 5. Greg Peterson are both 2 metres tall and were two of the finest schools locks for years. I include Rob Simmons in that comparison, though Rob was very young in his last year of school. Jones has already been on the park for the Force and Peterson is in the Tahs pro academy and has played a few games for the Junior Waratahs. Sydney folks may have noticed his play in the TV games for Manly this year. He is going well as a senior player, given his age.

But both these boys have just turned 19 and like PAE, we we will see more power from them in this competition next year.

Phoenix Battye – although he is from the ACT he is in the Tahs amateur academy. He did not take my eye in Junior Wartahs games.

Openside flankers
I am choosing the oldest, 7. Colby Fainga'a, to start because he has been in the professional system longer and has a 12 months start in physical preparation. It's a scratchy reason because, Pocock aside, Liam Gill and Michael Hooper are the two best schools opensiders I have seen since Smith and Waugh. Hooper is only 18 and Gill still 17, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nucifora thinks differently from me especially after the pool games.

Backrow 6/8
Whilst Fainga'a and/or Hooper could end up playing 6 (they played left and right for the Brumbies Runners and so, spent half their time on the blind side), it is likely that madman 6.Eddie Quirk will play there. 8. Jake Schatz, who has started for the Reds in the Super14 at 8 will get that spot. [I find it odd that Lachie McCaffrey was not chosen in the squad instead of a 3rd fetcher, but there you go.]

Scrumhalf
9. Justin Turner
has played for the Force this year and had a blinder against the Highlanders when he came on. He accepted a demotion to the Force pro academy in 2010 after being a contracted rookie player in 2009, but did not get on the park then because of lingering back injuries. Nic White looked good to me in an U20 trial game in 2009, but he did not take my eye playing for the Brumby Runners this year.

Flyhalf
10. Matt To'omua
is the most highly credentialled Super14 player in the squad and one hopes that he will stamp a bit more authority in his play in the tournament this ,year compared to last. Robbie Coleman is a similar all round type of player (and could be considering his options being 4th string at the Brumbies).

Inside Centre
I haven't seen 12. Jonathon Lance since he left school but am willing to accept favourable reports of him in the Brisbane comp in recent seasons. Will Coleman be the alternate 12?

Outside Centre
13. Tim Bennetts
has held down an Eastwood 1st Grade spot since he left school whereas his good mate Cameron Mitchell was injured for most of last year and now has to play on the wing for Eastwood. Bennetts is in the Tahs pro academy and Mitchell in the amateurs. 2 years ago it was Bennetts who had the injuries and Mitchell was Oz Schools captain. Watch this space; it could be a never ending story.

Wing
14. Luke Morahan
is the class act here and who can forget his try for the Reds against the Chiefs? Like To'omua, Morahan was called in by Robbie Deans as a replacement for the Wallabies on their EOYT and although his opponents won't be looking at his scrapbook, I expect him to shine.

11. Kimani Sitauti
is a bit of a punt because he was a greedy schools player, but I trust that Mick O'Connor has straightened him out in the Sevens squad and that the stern Nucifora will brook no selfishness in the weeks to come. He is a physically mature player and others may catch up with him as they get older, but at the age level I would take a gamble. He knows how to score a try in traffic.

If he doesn't demonstrate improvement in the pool games then Dom Shipperley, who I also haven't seen play since school, or can't remember if I have, should start in the playoffs if Australia goes through.

Greg Jeloudev is an odd choice since he is not playing in 1st grade yet. He has played well enough for the Junior Waratahs but without distinction.

Fullback
I enjoyed watching 15. Aidan Toua as a schools player. His family is from PNG but there is a whiff of Fiji in his play. He has had a bad run of injuries since he left school, including a knee reconstruction last year. I'm looking forward to this fine young man and player using this tournament to re-launch his career. Morahan to back him up.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

Lee Grant said:
Inside Centre
I haven't seen 12. Jonathon Lance since he left school but am willing to accept favourable reports of him in the Brisbane comp in recent seasons. Will Coleman be the alternate 12?

Coleman plays 12 at club level and had a game and a few runs at 12 at last years World Cup. I'd say he is very much an alternative, if not preferred option.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Lee Grant said:
Scott Sio is an athletic player who can also play 8. He seems to be a natural to be cross-trained as a hooker.

Bugger me. My young bloke gets home from training tonight and rabbits on how WH are so proud of young Scott making the under 20 side. Having known and played with him since under 9s he has a personal pride in Scott's selection. My bloke remarked how short he is (compared to him) and reckoned he might make a good hooker in years to come. Personally, I think he isn't tall enough for 8 although he did terrorise from there as a junior.

You got a mike in my place, Lee? :nta:

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Yeah 186cms is not too elevated for an 8 is it, but he was playing there for parts of games as recently as last year - for NSW II Schools. He could fill in as an 8 if there's an injury or two in the squad. Perhaps it's the reason why selectors omitted McCaffrey, though it still beggars belief.

114kgs, athletic, skilful, fast enough and not real tall at age 18, all adds up to future hooker in my eyes. But if he turns out to be a good senior scrummager, scratch that.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)

Lee would you not put Ben taupai in the starting team over Jono Lance. Seeing as they both played in the same school side and Lance played 10 i thought you would have gone for BT.

Couldn't remeber if he was in the squad or not, correct me if im wrong though.

If some of the more senior u20's were available as a back line i would have selected.

9.Turner
10. To'omua
11. Situati
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Horne
14.Morahan
15. Toua

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Ben Tapuai is already 21 and just made the team last year. Rob Horne turned 20 last year also.

JOC (James O'Connor) would have been handy but as a Wallaby he wouldn't have been considered.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Jono Lance is a big reason that Uni have started well this year in the Brisbane comp. Very good 10/12. The only thing letting him down has been his goal kicking but To'omua can cover that.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Have they changed the eligibility for the U20 RWC? I thought only players turning 19 or 20 this year could play. They tried to get Shatz in 08 but were told he was to young. Gill is the same age now that Shatz was then.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

TerryTate said:
where are the likes of mark johnson or damon anderson?

Mark Johnson is playing 2nd grade at Gordon I suppose is one of the reasons being behind Peterson and Jones who are both playing first grade Ben Matwijow was also at the U20's camp but missed out he is playing 1st grade at Norths.

Damon Anderson similar thinking probably although I still can't see why Sills missed out behind Jeloudev, Anderson has made his first grade debut in the last few weeks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.