• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Oh do explain oh wise one Bobby Sands.

McMeniman was massively talked up but never really delivered. His time at the Force was mostly disappointing. He was constantly injured much like back at QLD. When he was at QLD his good games were as frequent as his quiet games and the games he missed through injury.

He was massively hyped.

He never delivered consistently as a promising performer.

Please explain what insight would change that?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
there are 'a few changes' mooted for the game v Ireland in the media. I think we will see:
- Jones at 6 for McMahon
- Cooper/To'omua combine at 10/12
- the inclusion of Speight

There is also some talk of Izzy being rested which isn't silly and if that's the case I'd like to see Speight go on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s wing and either of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Foley at fullback (probably AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) with the other on the bench.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
McMeniman - heart of steel, body of porcelain.

I've noticed Bobby Sands popping up with the odd caustic remark, followed by an aloof "well if you don't know I'M certainly not going to explain"

Which is acceptable behaviour from my wife (because a divorce would cost too much) but hardly worth rising to on a rugby forum. As you were.

Anyway, on the game itself.

This might be a good point in the tour for Cheika to rest a couple of blokes - just a couple, mind - and give others an opportunity against Ireland. Because sure as fuck we want to put our best team out against England.

Both the micks and the poms would have noted our obstinance with a second-channel running game, and decided they'll use a rush defence as well. If that's the case, our forwards need to start owning possession a bit more, and hit contact low and hard with a good leg drive and a couple of mates to get across the gain line. Recycle quickly, repeat, third phase the backs score.

Inside our 40 - kick the fuck out of it, chase like maniacs, and smash anything in a green shirt.

In other words, some basic fucking rugby.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
McMeniman - heart of steel, body of porcelain.

I've noticed Bobby Sands popping up with the odd caustic remark, followed by an aloof "well if you don't know I'M certainly not going to explain"

Which is acceptable behaviour from my wife (because a divorce would cost too much) but hardly worth rising to on a rugby forum. As you were.

Anyway, on the game itself.

This might be a good point in the tour for Cheika to rest a couple of blokes - just a couple, mind - and give others an opportunity against Ireland. Because sure as fuck we want to put our best team out against England.

Both the micks and the poms would have noted our obstinance with a second-channel running game, and decided they'll use a rush defence as well. If that's the case, our forwards need to start owning possession a bit more, and hit contact low and hard with a good leg drive and a couple of mates to get across the gain line. Recycle quickly, repeat, third phase the backs score.

Inside our 40 - kick the fuck out of it, chase like maniacs, and smash anything in a green shirt.

In other words, some basic fucking rugby.

Yes the French certainly contained us quite convincingly with their defense. TK basically didn't get the ball except when he received kick offs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
TK crashing it up on an unders line from Foley or Lilo the 10 would have caused absolute havoc with the French rush. Or a quick 1-2 inside pass to put him on a straight line as the outside man drifts too hard.

B

Bobby Sands

He was massively hyped.

If Hugh has been able to get his body right, he would have been one of
the great Wallaby forwards. He tried everything, but it just wouldn't hold up for him. He didn't have bad advice either as his dad is one of the best surgeons in Brisbane.

Instead, he gets wise-cracks like you saying he was overrated and trying to tarnish his career. That's why I can't be bothered with opinions like yours.

Insight, lacking.

T

Train Without a Station

I said he was overhyped.

If you don't like it, that's your problem to deal with because that's reality.

If somebody is hyped heavily as a player, and fails to deliver (for whatever reason that may be), he is overhyped.

I'm going to let the comment about "great Wallaby forwards" slide since he is obviously a mate of yours and just say that's a big statement to make considering every Super Rugby team he has played for has actually improved dramatically the next season after his departure.

Showed a lot of promise definitely. His body let him down at times definitely. But still don't remember him being potentially one of the great Wallaby forwards. Certainly didn't help that nobody knew whether he was a 6 or a lock and even by 2013 he hadn't settled playing either exclusively.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
If Aus lose to Ireland and England, they will drop to fifth in the world rankings. Surely their lowest ever place?

1(1)
NZL.png
NEW ZEALAND 93.70(93.70)
nor-up-neither-down.png
2(2)
RSA.png
SOUTH AFRICA 89.93(89.93)
nor-up-neither-down.png
3(3)
IRE.png
IRELAND 85.48(85.48)
nor-up-neither-down.png
4(4)
ENG.png
ENGLAND 84.85(84.21)
nor-up-neither-down.png
5(5)
AUS.png
AUSTRALIA 82.94(83.58)
nor-up-neither-down.png
6(6)
FRA.png
FRANCE 81.47(81.47)
nor-up-neither-down.png
7(7)
WAL.png
WALES 79.78(79.78)
nor-up-neither-down.png
8(8)
SCO.png
SCOTLAND
78.27(78.27)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If Aus lose to Ireland and England, they will drop to fifth in the world rankings. Surely their lowest ever place?

1(1)
NZL.png
NEW ZEALAND 93.70(93.70)

nor-up-neither-down.png
2(2)
RSA.png
SOUTH AFRICA 89.93(89.93)

nor-up-neither-down.png
3(3)
IRE.png
IRELAND 85.48(85.48)

nor-up-neither-down.png
4(4)
ENG.png
ENGLAND 84.85(84.21)

nor-up-neither-down.png
5(5)
AUS.png
AUSTRALIA 82.94(83.58)

nor-up-neither-down.png
6(6)
FRA.png
FRANCE 81.47(81.47)

nor-up-neither-down.png
7(7)
WAL.png
WALES 79.78(79.78)

nor-up-neither-down.png
8(8)
SCO.png
SCOTLAND

78.27(78.27)

I'd say if we lose to both Ireland and England we deserve to be ranked only 5th..similarly if we beat them both we deserve to be ranked 3rd and you 4th or 5th.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
There are only 2 games to go before the boys get their 4-8 week break. I think 4 weeks off training. Everyone of the starters capable of playing should be played. Use the bench for the likes of Jones and company. Depending on the game and how it is going then bring on the bench accordingly.

For those posters who advocate giving certain players a break then the obvious ones to get the break are Slipper Keps Saia, Simmons, McCalman and Hooper (he has played just about every minute through the Super season and all test matches, I think). These blokes do the tough stuff week in, week out and if anyone "deserves" a break then it is these guys, not blokes like Izzy.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I tend to agree with that Scrubber. Two games in two weeks then everyone gets a break. It would be great to do well in these tests.
The tinkering should be more for Cheika to see what he's got in his stable.
Cooper, Speight, Jones etc should get some game time.
I think he knows what KB (Kurtley Beale) offers as well as anyone so giving him significant time would be a waste.
Godwin is another and To'omua deserves a chance to show where he differs from Lealifano. Quietly I think he is twice the player and should be our starting 12. Let's let him state his case on the paddock.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh do explain oh wise one Bobby Sands.

McMeniman was massively talked up but never really delivered. His time at the Force was mostly disappointing. He was constantly injured much like back at QLD. When he was at QLD his good games were as frequent as his quiet games and the games he missed through injury.

He was massively hyped.

I'm sorry I can't sit back & let someone shit on MMM, yes he was very injury prone & it pissed me off big time but when fit & yes that is a big when he was easily the best & most dynamic lock of his generation.
The one and only time he finished a spring tour he topped the John Eales points tally for that tour.
Leading into the Lions series when he strung together multiple games for the Force he was the best Australian forward in super rugby by a mile.
It is a real shame we never saw the best of him at International level.

As Reds fan & when he was fit I don't ever recall a quiet game, if he was on he was involved even when the Red got thumped & even when the Wallabies got thumped by SA in 2008 he was the only forward that got stuck in.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyway back to the Irish this weekend.
I'd Love to see Quade at 10 & surrounded by big ball running backs & just have him as the chief playmaker.

My backline would be.
9.Genia 10.Quade 11.Speight 12.TK 13.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14.Horne 15.Folau

Similar to the Days of Larkham & Co, would also love to see Godwin on the bench.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's not even close to true. I pretty much stopped paying attention there.

I even remember the Fox sports poll on who should partner Horwill at lock for the lions series & MMM had something like 80% of votes.
And that would be with every Tah fan voting for Kane Douglas.

Either you don't have foxtel or you don't pay much attention to anything or at least good rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.