• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Foley's defence is what really shits me. (refer the that defensive vid against the welsh). How is it that a player who has had 2 seasons under the Tahs is having trouble with the "new defensive system", when players like TK are thriving in defence with only a couple games under the new system.
At the Tahs, Foley was covered in defence by Horne. I haven't watched it closely enough in the past 2 games, but maybe that dynamic (with whoever is playing wing at the relevant times) is all askew? I know Horne has been there some of this time, but I'd be interested if Foley is playing positionally in defence the same as he did at the Tahs or not. I'd have to watch a replay to see. The whole defensive system looks more Tahs 2013, than Tahs 2014, unfortunately, with not everyone trusting and knowing it yet. Kuridrani is looking OK, but the defensive structure the Tahs used relies on the whole team getting it down, not individuals. It looks like aspects are getting picked up, but others are not. It's a worry. There have been some awful mis-reads at times.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
@cyclopath, I enjoyed your previous avatar more.. This old one is a bit too 1984.

Thought you might enjoy the feedback :)

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
News out of the Irish camp is that we'll be reporting a clean bill of health, Chris Henry aside. The 23 will probably be the same as the South Africa game with Rory Best coming onto the bench.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Kepu
4. Simmo
5. Kev
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. Big Dog

I thought the starting tight 5 were effective at set piece time for the period of the game before they were replaced. I also thought they were aggressive, just not very accurate around the ruck and in the carry. Accuracy can be improved in a week no doubt, with some dedicated focus. Jones adds some beef.

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Tomane or Horne
12. To'omua
13. TK
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Izzy
To'omua could take a little pressure off Foley in the kicking to exit or gain territory department (let's hope he's been working on it). Horne will offer similar things to Tomane (maybe more workrate and aggression and less size/footwork) so that's a toss up.

16. Hanson
17. Robbo
18. ?
19. Carter if fit, Skelton if not.
20. Hodgson
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. Speight

M

Moono75

....Hello.......Helloooooo.....remember me.......I can play.......I've got game!

1146.png

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No way Horwill and Skelton can keep their spots. Amazing Simmons is the only decent lock we have. Shameful.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Kepu
4. Simmo
5. Kev
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. Big Dog

I thought the starting tight 5 were effective at set piece time for the period of the game before they were replaced. I also thought they were aggressive, just not very accurate around the ruck and in the carry. Accuracy can be improved in a week no doubt, with some dedicated focus. Jones adds some beef.

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Tomane or Horne
12. To'omua
13. TK
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Izzy
To'omua could take a little pressure off Foley in the kicking to exit or gain territory department (let's hope he's been working on it). Horne will offer similar things to Tomane (maybe more workrate and aggression and less size/footwork) so that's a toss up.

16. Hanson
17. Robbo
18. ?
19. Carter if fit, Skelton if not.
20. Hodgson
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. Speight

come on, Mate, you have far too many Tahs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
which of (big) Tomani, Kimlin, Pyle or Douglas would you like to add?

? None. Not breaking rules for them. There's no solution, I would go back to Carter and give Jones a shot but really I don't think any are up to Test level atm except for Simmons which is why it's a disgrace.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think come RWC we will see a starting lock pairing of Simmons and Carter with Horwill providing the cover.

Skelton must be a slow learner - he has had plenty of opportunities to date. I wouldn't take the risk. His disadvantages outweigh the advantages, certainly in the next 6-12 months

P

Paradox

Inside our 40 - kick the fuck out of it, chase like maniacs, and smash anything in a green shirt.

In other words, some basic fucking rugby.

Sounds a bit too much like "jake ball" and thus will be derided by all those knowledgeable pundits. I agree with you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.