• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Just talking about the game with the boys at work and the ridiculous penalty given against Read for tacking in the air.

Couldn't believe that call. Does this mean that if I jump in the air before getting tackled, I'll win a penalty??

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Just talking about the game with the boys at work and the ridiculous penalty given against Read for tacking in the air.

Couldn't believe that call. Does this mean that if I jump in the air before getting tackled, I'll win a penalty??

I agree with you that it was a bit ridiculous, but the tackle was made while Kearney was in the air. A split second later and it would have been a perfect tackle.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^^^ Good article from Ireland's Scott Allen.
Bloody good article!
Reading that and stealing someone's work from another forum, I am even more impressed with how ABs won that game, that last play consisted of 36 passes, after 80 minutes of rugby a play like that deserves a cudo or two I'm thinking!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)

You can see Kearney laughing on the TV broadcast, he knows he was chancing his arm asking for a review and it was a lucky break for Ireland from the TMO.

Bloody good article!
Reading that and stealing someone's work from another forum, I am even more impressed with how ABs won that game, that last play consisted of 36 passes, after 80 minutes of rugby a play like that deserves a cudo or two I'm thinking!

Its a testament to their mental toughness and high skill levels. How often do you see teams get a penalty in the All Blacks situation then commit a handling error once they get near the 22?

Willin1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Was really torn with this one. While the missus was cheering the AB's I was quietly thinking maybe the Irish deserved the win and felt a bit flat over our victory.
That performance was huge and should give the Irish a big boost for the 6 nations comp.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You can see Kearney laughing on the TV broadcast, he knows he was chancing his arm asking for a review and it was a lucky break for Ireland from the TMO.

Its a testament to their mental toughness and high skill levels. How often do you see teams get a penalty in the All Blacks situation then commit a handling error once they get near the 22?

And isn't it usually some out of position fatty wearing a jumper number < 6 that commits the handing error that blows the game?

The last 2 minutes took me back to the days when Nobody was Captain of the Wobs, and we won lots of games after the siren, by just running the ball around with confidence that we would crack open the defence and score the required meat to win the Test match. No panic just a quiet confidence that as long as we had the pill we had a chance to win the game. Mid to late 90's.

We have lost that self confidence, patience and discipline and the Wobs now seem to feel that they can only win via a miracle ball play rather than as a consequence of pressure, patience and possession.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

Correct. You can't tackle a man in the air - regardless of the circumstances.

No problems with the penalty at all, Kearney did exactly what all people catching a ball under pressure should do.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to the AB's for an awesome season - unbelievable

Very fucking lucky against the Iriesh but that sometimes defines a great team

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How close are The Darkness to equalling the Cyprus World Record Rugby Test Match unbeaten streak?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)

The wobs got penalised for it as well in one of the matches against the boks. It's one of those ridiculosu technicalities. I do believe there is a rule that you cant jump into a tackle though... I can't find it but rocky elsom got penalised for it way back. THere is a youtube video somewhere.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Sounds like it was a cracker. Are fox showing a replay?

teach beat me to it, it is up on ttrugbyvids

I deliberately kept OUT of this thread, and read no newspaper till i could catch the game. Stupidly I glanced at the roar and caught the headline our of the corner of my eye 'cruel win over ireland' or something.

Then watched the game last night (at times quite poor quality on you tube, but what you gonna do?)

OMFG, I KNEW the result and score but was on the edge of my seat the entire game 'it can't come down to the last fifteen minutes, let's hope so anyway' Ireland miss that bloody kick at goal! how can it be?

'It can't come down to the last TEN minutes can it? Let's bloody hope so!'
It CAN'T come down to the last FIVE minutes can it??
IT CAN"T COME DOWN TO THE LAST TWO MINUTES CAN IT?!
OMFG, IT CAN"T COME DOWN TO AFTER THE SIREN?
SHIT, THEY CHARGED TOO EARLY AND HE GET'S ANOTHER GO?

Pure entertainment, man how would the irish fans have felt? How would the players have felt?

But as a rugby fan I can tell you I feel the winner.

Fantastic, well done ireland you truly deserved to win, and well done NZ it just proves what a champion side you are

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Finally watched this game last night. Knowing the Kiwis were going to win I was still astounded to see the Irish throw it away at the end.

This win was deja vu for me having watched the NZ v England in the League WC on Saturday night. The end was virtually identical. It is an impressive trait of the Kiwis (in both Rugby and League) that they always seem to pull it out of the bag when needed.

That win just makes NZ even harder to beat come 2015.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Correct. You can't tackle a man in the air - regardless of the circumstances.

No problems with the penalty at all, Kearney did exactly what all people catching a ball under pressure should do.

Well it's stupid. There was absolutely no real safety issue in the tackle which is what the law is supposed to be about.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Well it's stupid. There was absolutely no real safety issue in the tackle which is what the law is supposed to be about.
It may be stupid but you have to draw a line somewhere.How many high tackles do you see that do no damage at all but are penalised?Or lifting tackles where it's an automatic red card.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It may be stupid but you have to draw a line somewhere.How many high tackles do you see that do no damage at all but are penalised?Or lifting tackles where it's an automatic red card.

High tackles and lifting tackles are intiated by the tackler and have a high degree of risk and danger no matter what the outcome is.

There was no danger in that tackle. Going from that, all a ball carrier has to do is be in the air when they are tackled and it's a penalty. How many times do you see players skip sideways or try to jinx thru defenders and get smashed while in the air. They should be penalties if that Read tackle is a penalty offense.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
High tackles and lifting tackles are intiated by the tackler and have a high degree of risk and danger no matter what the outcome is.

There was no danger in that tackle. Going from that, all a ball carrier has to do is be in the air when they are tackled and it's a penalty. How many times do you see players skip sideways or try to jinx thru defenders and get smashed while in the air. They should be penalties if that Read tackle is a penalty offense.
Hey,I agree with you there was no danger in that tackle,but they have been penalising players for tackling in the air for some time now and the ref was just sticking to the letter of the law.If they changed it to the ref's discretion,would we go back to seeing more dangerous tackles?
At the moment it's a clear cut ruling so mostly stops defenders from doing it,even if you get the occasional "stupid" decision.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)

I found someone that is worse then me. This has to be the worst video of "proof" I have ever seen. What a meat head

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
That's awesome. I love his youtube channel that claims the NZRFU are in league with the illuminati and in posession of alien mind altering technology to ensure the referees let them win every game.

I like his other videos, The All Blacks - Pure Evil Black Souls Children of Lucifer in the name of Satan looks to be a stunner though I can't bring myself to watch it yet.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I will never get tired of watching this. The play of Aaron Smith during this passage was unreal. His coverage of the field and speed of delivery was superb.

So many 'stories' in that final passage - the Franks brothers, Coles hands, the Cruden double take, the Irish fan that yells out on the second attempt :) Read probably saving his best runs for after the siren (he and Retallick were anonymous in the 1st half), etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.