• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland vs Springbokke @ Aviva

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Strauss nephews at each other at some stage? Ds Trimble and lack of Munster players and the Bokke may edge the Iere.

Trimble is a huge loss, although it's hard to make a case for more Munster players except for Foley on the bench

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Boks are 9 & a draw/14 in Ireland, strongly suspect that'll be 10.5/15 come Sunday & the bookies seem to agree, most offering around 7:2 & giving Ireland a converted try start or better. I'll be the guy backing Ireland with a Kilkenny or 3 close at hand.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Boks are 9 & a draw/14 in Ireland, strongly suspect that'll be 10.5/15 come Sunday & the bookies seem to agree, most offering around 7:2 & giving Ireland a converted try start or better. I'll be the guy backing Ireland with a Kilkenny or 3 close at hand.
and I the Poms, with a warm beer in mine.

;)

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I read this somewhere and the saying rings in my ears:

Beware the Dublin back alley kiss!

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm with you S120, not sure why, but I always liked O'Connell, perhaps because I a fan of real grafters in rugby, and don't believe they get credit they deserve!

At his best, he was so damned efficient. Every tackle, every run, every attack on a ruck, every lineout. He would impact upon every contest he took on effectively. Perfect lock to me. The lock that makes a forward pack outstandingly good.

As good as O'Driscoll was, I think O'Connell was his equal over their careers. Obviously vastly different positions but O'Driscoll was as good a back as O'Connell was a forward.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
At his best, he was so damned efficient. Every tackle, every run, every attack on a ruck, every lineout. He would impact upon every contest he took on effectively. Perfect lock to me. The lock that makes a forward pack outstandingly good.

As good as O'Driscoll was, I think O'Connell was his equal over their careers. Obviously vastly different positions but O'Driscoll was as good a back as O'Connell was a forward.
Yes!

Every pack needs at least one massive grafter that does the unseen dirty work. This is the same reason I prefer the Danie Roussouw's and Joe van Niekerk's above the Piere Spieses of this world.

Turnovers and skill has lead to more exposure among forwards in the modern game, but some excel in the loose while others are great tacklers or poachers. This means there is likely to be a fellow or two that simply clears the ruck effectively on every occasion that escapes the plaudits.

O'Connell is a very well rounded player that does more than just the dirty work, but he fulfills the requirements of his role with aplomb.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thats what make Duanne Vermeulen such a great player.You wont find fancy dancy running, straight and hard as nails as is his ruck cleaning, defensive work and do his bit at lineout work and poach a few like a 6. and he is suppose to be a 8 like Spies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It's damn nice to get away up north and get to see some different opposition. Looking forward to this game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't like the "enforcer" description PB( although that what people call them,mainly press), I prefer that someone like Duanne V is just called a bloody good player, enforcer sounds to one dimensional to me, and these real top hard players are much better than that!

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes!

Every pack needs at least one massive grafter that does the unseen dirty work. This is the same reason I prefer the Danie Roussouw's and Joe van Niekerk's above the Piere Spieses of this world.

Turnovers and skill has lead to more exposure among forwards in the modern game, but some excel in the loose while others are great tacklers or poachers. This means there is likely to be a fellow or two that simply clears the ruck effectively on every occasion that escapes the plaudits.

O'Connell is a very well rounded player that does more than just the dirty work, but he fulfills the requirements of his role with aplomb.

The Spies vs Roussow argument is an interesting one. I've had a similar one going on for a few years about Higginbotham vs Fardy and I always take Fardy.

It's off the topic now, but Higginbotham (to me) has the physical tools to be something like a Kieren Read. Not as brilliant as Read but in the ball park. He is that gifted with athletic ability and skills and ball running but his ineffectiveness around the breakdown will always limit how great he could be. IMO anyway.

At test level, give me Fardy or Roussouw over Higginbotham or Spies every time.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I'm tipping the Irish here. I'm no close follower of northern rugby, but I watched them beat Wales earlier in the year and I still think it's the best performance of any side I've seen in the last 12 months. Just rock solid. If they can play like that again they'll beat anyone.

The Boks are going well but I think they'll get pipped.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thats what make Duanne Vermeulen such a great player.You wont find fancy dancy running, straight and hard as nails as is his ruck cleaning, defensive work and do his bit at lineout work and poach a few like a 6. and he is suppose to be a 8 like Spies.
Baas.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm tipping the Irish here. I'm no close follower of northern rugby, but I watched them beat Wales earlier in the year and I still think it's the best performance of any side I've seen in the last 12 months. Just rock solid. If they can play like that again they'll beat anyone.

The Boks are going well but I think they'll get pipped.

Wow. The have a ton on injuries and a good few rookies. Big call.

At the risk of sounding arrogant I would consider this a pretty big upset if we lost it.

Just sayin'.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Wow. The have a ton on injuries and a good few rookies. Big call.

At the risk of sounding arrogant I would consider this a pretty big upset if we lost it.

Just sayin'.

Their team is pretty similar to the one that rolled Wales. The big difference is in the backline, where they've replaced two good wingers with two probably better wingers, and two good centres with two relative newbies (I'm a huge fan of Payne though, really good player) then there are two changes in the front-row, one of which seems to not be a big deal (McGrath in for Healy).

I'll put my money where my mouth is and pop a bet on them (particularly at $3.40; they just won the six nations and they're playing at home).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Last year was the worst Six Nations since I can remember. I watch it every year and in my view they were the best of a bad bunch. Wales and France were woeful. England blew hot and cold. They hardly dominated the whole thing.

Look like I said we always struggle against them. But we are on an upward curve and are going on tour with a more settled team than last year.

I'll happily eat humble pie if we lose but I would see it as an upset.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Last year was the worst Six Nations since I can remember. I watch it every year and in my view they were the best of a bad bunch. Wales and France were woeful. England blew hot and cold. They hardly dominated the whole thing.

Look like I said we always struggle against them. But we are on an upward curve and are going on tour with a more settled team than last year.

I'll happily eat humble pie if we lose but I would see it as an upset.

Hmm I think it's harsh to downgrade this year's 6N. It was at least on par with the last few years, if not better as France and Wales have been average for 3 seasons now and Ire and Eng especially are on the up.

Ireland won it on an away year additionally with France and Eng away, which as a long time Ireland fan still scarred by the 90 's is bloody hard.

I'm think this Bok team is frightening and full to the brim with strength, potential and skill - but if SA lose it won't be a fluke or due to SA playing bad - it'll be down to one Joe Schmidt their kiwi manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.