• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagnation90

Frank Row (1)
Pius rested their 6 precious ISA players in their loss to Oaks yesterday (definitely the only reason they lost). The 6 players are undoubtedly superstars proving almost impossible for any defender to stop. They were rested in order to increase their chances of NSW 1 & 2 selections (IMO some could have made it without the rest but better safe than sorry). Also, could I just say how perplexed I am at the lack of Pius representation in ISA 1s (if only the boys went to auggies, am i right?!) , talk about politics!

Old mate 11

Bob McCowan (2)
Pius rested their 6 precious ISA players in their loss to Oaks yesterday (definitely the only reason they lost). The 6 players are undoubtedly superstars proving almost impossible for any defender to stop. They were rested in order to increase their chances of NSW 1 & 2 selections (IMO some could have made it without the rest but better safe than sorry). Also, could I just say how perplexed I am at the lack of Pius representation in ISA 1s (if only the boys went to auggies, am i right?!) , talk about politics!

I was there and most of, if not all of their ISA players played the full game. Oakhill's quick line speed and hard forward runners completely neutralized Pius and their "superstars".

Pickngo44

Bob McCowan (2)

Crucial difference is Augustines are a good 1st XV team, not a 'superstar' filled 2nds team that wear a 1st XV jersey.

Stagnation90

Frank Row (1)
Crucial difference is Augustines are a good 1st XV team, not a 'superstar' filled 2nds team that wear a 1st XV jersey.

First of all, stannies are better (am i right?!). Second of all (pardon the pun), I believe Pius deserve more credit than being known as a '2nds team that wear a 1st XV jersey' , with comprehensive victories over both Kinross and Pats (50+) I think it is fair to assume that Pius would have given both Kinross and Pats 1's a run for their money and on their day would definitely beat them if given the opportunity (#kickgregs!). Whether you like it or not Pius do have superstars who did represent NSW schools u16 last year and were part of a very dominant 16As team in 2015.

Pickngo44

Bob McCowan (2)
What's an ISA season without refereeing issues in Bathurst!!. Every year without fail the usual to and from of criticising and cheating accusations and those who take the moral high ground.

As they say where there's smoke there's fire, I don't think it will be the last dubious officiating display over the mountains this season.

Roger Cassidy

Frank Row (1)
You can blame the refs at Stannies all you want, but when they beat Auggies home AND away, the reffing surely can't be that much of a difference. Can't the teams that lose just take the loss and move on? Stannies played much better as to what I am hearing. ISA selectors need to do a better job in future years, as Stannies have beaten a team full of ISA firsts representatives.

Pickngo44

Bob McCowan (2)
First of all, stannies are better (am i right?!). Second of all (pardon the pun), I believe Pius deserve more credit than being known as a '2nds team that wear a 1st XV jersey' , with comprehensive victories over both Kinross and Pats (50+) I think it is fair to assume that Pius would have given both Kinross and Pats 1's a run for their money and on their day would definitely beat them if given the opportunity (#kickgregs!). Whether you like it or not Pius do have superstars who did represent NSW schools u16 last year and were part of a very dominant 16As team in 2015.

Stannies are better yes, been well and truly proven this year and I agree that they should have a much higher representation in the ISA 1s team. This doesn't mean that Augustines aren't a good 1sts team that don't deserve rep players.

Maybe we have differing opinions on what's a superstar. Pius have a handful of very good players who deserve rep selection. This doesn't discount the fact Pius have lost to 2nds teams. Whilst I'd back Pius to beat Pats and Kinross 2nds 9 times out of 10, the schedule means we will never know how Pius 1sts would go against the other 1sts teams. With any luck the split round ends and Pius can resume their position in div 1 and we would have answers to these questions. Big supporter of the kick Gregs movement, the split round is rubbish.

Arnold McCloud

Frank Row (1)
My word if I were an Augustines coach i too would be furious, the fact that hes lost home and away, to a team that's seen as a bunch of small country boys would humiliate the most arrogant of us. However, I do believe there's a quote that rings loudly to the poor Auggies gents. "A team of champions will never compete with a champion team". I must admit, the fact that Shaun (Auggies #6) was carded early in the first half for an obvious unsportsmanlike hit on Hunter (Stannies #8) without even having the ball definitely showed the crowd what the result would be. One would say it was so big even Stevie Wonder would've seen it. It's funny to watch a team of superstars fall to dirty tactics due to a lack of power. Not to mention that it wasnt the only one that the Auggies boys put on Stannies boys without the ball... Ignorance is bliss and those boys from Brookevale sure are happy. My hats off to stannies for playing fair and not giving in.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You can blame the refs at Stannies all you want, but when they beat Auggies home AND away, the reffing surely can't be that much of a difference. Can't the teams that lose just take the loss and move on? Stannies played much better as to what I am hearing. ISA selectors need to do a better job in future years, as Stannies have beaten a team full of ISA firsts representatives.
I think on this occasion, the "visitors treatment" was dished out, as predicted prior to kick off! on a back field.
Apparently your 1's didn't need any assistance.
I wasn't at Bathurst, but I saw the previous round at Rat Park, where Stannies were deserving winners.
I was disappointed in a few Augustine's kids who I thought showed a bit of petulance when the Stannies kids just wouldn't roll over for them.

Pickngo44

Bob McCowan (2)
Agree, didn't realise that the officiating in the 1st XV game was been criticised. Shame if it was as it would be a weak excuse from Auggies, Stannies clearly are the premier team. Personally don't think any player in the ISA would categorise Stannies as 'small country boys'. Augustines are notoriously arrogant and I'm pleased as anyone that Stannies are likely to break the Oakhill and Augustines stronghold on the ISA shield. No need to start painting Stannies as the victim. They are good and they know it, all good teams back their ability and Stannies 1st XV is no different.

Tram Tracks

Peter Burge (5)
When the team has proven themselves both away and at home for 6 consecutive weeks including taking on and defeating Auggies twice they are deserved victors. Recently Stannies copped flack for ill discipline vs st pats rightfully and the same can be said for Auggies yesterday also rightfully. The Stannies boys were structured and focused, taking the points when on offer and composed when the opposition were ill disciplined. By far the better team on the day!
Well done Stannies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DinkyDieDingo

Bob McCowan (2)
Just going to put out there that there is dubious refereeing at Stannies. During my time playing, three memories are prominent in my mind:

The first is when Stannies set up a rolling maul five metres out from our line. The maul collapses and the ball, as the ref called correctly, was held up. As we're all getting up for a scrum, a Stannies boys pick up the ball and ground the ball over the line cheering after the call had been made. The ref then awards the try. That same try, the conversion misses the post by five metres, but the touchies raise their flags.

The second is when punches were thrown between one of our guys and a Stannies player. I watched it begin and was first there. The Stannies player threw the first punch and tried to take our guy to ground. Our guy was pushing him away to stop the attack. It was a heated match, and I thought the ref would send both to the bin as a warning for the rest of us. Instead, he yellows our guy and gives the Stannies player a warning.

The third is what I hate the most. This was my last game for my school and I'm disappointed that the ref ruined it. He was a tubby little thing that couldn't keep up with the play and reeked of liquor. At one point our scrum-half copped a late shoulder charge which the ref saw, but only pulled up after I called him out. He seemed inclined to let that offence slip. Now, the score was 7-5 to Stannies. Final play. We had the ball in their 22 and formed rolling maul 15 metres out. We kept the ball at the back and grounded it as soon as we were over the line. But before we could celebrate our victory, the ref called held up, despite the player with the ball and another of our guys being the only ones on the ground. Needless to say, our frustration at the call boiled over when a Stannies boy made a snide remark whilst shaking hands.

Overall, I can't feel but disappointed for Stannies. Every time I played them - home or away - there was always some slur aimed at the Lesbanese, Greeks, and Italians in our sides. Its a shame that this attitude exists despite the school having an excellent program for Sudanese students.

Central Best

Chris McKivat (8)
Just going to put out there that there is dubious refereeing at Stannies. During my time playing, three memories are prominent in my mind:

The first is when Stannies set up a rolling maul five metres out from our line. The maul collapses and the ball, as the ref called correctly, was held up. As we're all getting up for a scrum, a Stannies boys pick up the ball and ground the ball over the line cheering after the call had been made. The ref then awards the try. That same try, the conversion misses the post by five metres, but the touchies raise their flags.

The second is when punches were thrown between one of our guys and a Stannies player. I watched it begin and was first there. The Stannies player threw the first punch and tried to take our guy to ground. Our guy was pushing him away to stop the attack. It was a heated match, and I thought the ref would send both to the bin as a warning for the rest of us. Instead, he yellows our guy and gives the Stannies player a warning.

The third is what I hate the most. This was my last game for my school and I'm disappointed that the ref ruined it. He was a tubby little thing that couldn't keep up with the play and reeked of liquor. At one point our scrum-half copped a late shoulder charge which the ref saw, but only pulled up after I called him out. He seemed inclined to let that offence slip. Now, the score was 7-5 to Stannies. Final play. We had the ball in their 22 and formed rolling maul 15 metres out. We kept the ball at the back and grounded it as soon as we were over the line. But before we could celebrate our victory, the ref called held up, despite the player with the ball and another of our guys being the only ones on the ground. Needless to say, our frustration at the call boiled over when a Stannies boy made a snide remark whilst shaking hands.

Overall, I can't feel but disappointed for Stannies. Every time I played them - home or away - there was always some slur aimed at the Lesbanese, Greeks, and Italians in our sides. Its a shame that this attitude exists despite the school having an excellent program for Sudanese students.

Wow DDD, Do you need a hug mate !! It must feel better now to have that off your chest.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Sadly, I've heard so many similar stories re Bathurst. They can't all be made up.

Ruck.n.Maul

Frank Row (1)
On a lighter note Pats v Kinross:

For me the game shaped up to be everything i had imagined, a close and fair contest among both sides.

1st Half:
Early in the first half pats seemed to blitz through kinross looking devastating with the ball after nearly scoring with a chip n chase down the sideline after excellent ball movement and support play from the backs only for a mistake to be made. This mistake did not dampen the mood of pats as they defended against kinross not allowing them to make any metres. Pats then scored after a player darted through but pulled up short only to have their #4 C Sarkis get over the line for a try, unfortunately the conversion was missed making it 5-0.

Kinross bounced back after this winning possession at the breakdown and determined to score. After solid attack and defence from both team kinross came away with the goods and bagged a try then missing the conversion making it 5-5. Up until the last seconds of the first half neither team could get any points until kinross gifted Pats a penalty right out in front, Pats took the points with their #11 A Cerra to go into the half 8-5.

2nd Half:
Coming into the second half Pats on top and Kinross not wanting to lose on their home turf looked determined, early in the half Pats #15 Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) went off only to come back on too long after yet still showed courage with him off. Pats defended their line for a bit only to find themselves down in Kinross half, a beautiful and seamless back move from Pats after a short ball to the #13 J Harrison put him through a hole with open field to score, Pats missed the kick making it 10-5.

Kinross trailing once again determined not lose put in a gutsy effort with many attacking plays and some fantastic kick returns gaining metres well up near where Pats would kick it from. Kinross with a lucky break their #9 E Hawker was able to jump on a loose ball out of scrum into free space and score however, the conversion was unsuccessful making it 10-10.

At some point the second half both teams kicked a penalty goal making it 13-13 ( I forgot when it happened). Late in the second half Kinross were awarded two penalties both time they took the shot and missed meaning scores were still level. after 70 minutes of rugby the scores still locked Kinross gifted Pats a penalty about 22 metres right out in front of the stick which was converted by the #15 Mark N (Nawaqanitawase).

Apologies for any confusion

FINAL SCORE 16-13 ST PATS

Notable Mentions:

Kinross
Number #7 O Mitchell excellent over the ball and #12 C Simpson great running with the ball

Pats

Number #5 A Brunton fantastic in the lineouts, #10 M Redman solid in attack and defence and #15 Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) dangerous with ball in hand and his kicking

DutyFreeTaxEvasion

Frank Row (1)

I see the lebanese, greeks and italians and assume you were a former st pats student like myself.

The dreaded yearly trip to Stannies always saw refeering blunders plenty apiece. Nothing really irked me like my last game - similar to you. My mates and I in the beautiful 5th XV suffered a 30-7 loss at the hands of boys we later saw run on in the 3rd and 4th XV teams. Our forwards were small, energetic but useless against country boys who could throw them across the field, literally. They repeatedly clearance kicked to our skinny fullback who they hammered just for the sake of the jeering crowd. Having to stand in the lineout listening to the swearing and yelling of the crowd at us, including some of those racial slurs. They started moving their forwards to the backs so they could steamroll the lebanese kids who were just trying to hold on to their legs for dear life. I got shoved midair when i was lifted in the lineout by the opposing lock, and repeatedly suplexed when trying to pilfer the ball.

Did the ref doing anything to penalise anyone or to calm it down? Absolutely not. He didn't even ask for our captain before the game or when we lined up for the toss. We grimaced and got on with it, and our coach at the end of the game told us " that's rugby, boys". And now you know why it isnt just the parents who dont want to go and watch rugby anymore - most of the kids dont want to play either.

For some of us like myself who lived down near Bankstown we'd rather travel an hour to Pius or Augustines or the 45 to Oakhill because at least we'd know we have a decent shot at a fair and fun game.

DinkyDieDingo

Bob McCowan (2)
I see the lebanese, greeks and italians and assume you were a former st pats student like myself.

I am a Pats boy, through and through. Blue, black, and gold runs in my blood. I honestly hated playing Stannies, not because they were great - honestly glad Auggies are being beat - at rugby, but because they were arrogant. Home town refs and dubious calls that only seem to ever happen at Bathurst only makes their image, in my opinion, stained. I love playing a good game of rugby as much as the next guy, but when the opposition is malicious to the point of disrespect, it kills the mood.

I recall one game at Breen where our goal kicker was looking to take the 3 points fifteen metres from the sideline nearest the change rooms. Whilst he was concentrating, a group of Stannies students were hurling slurs at our kicker who had Lebansese heritage. I was closest to them and told them to shut up. What I found most disturbing was that their was a Stannies teacher next to them, who, upon being alerted by my call, told them to return to the stands. He was standing there the whole time and did nothing earlier. Go figure.

It was also at this game that one of the Pats parents was on the verge of running onto the field because he'd had enough of his son being targeted because of his background.

DutyFreeTaxEvasion

Frank Row (1)
I recall one game at Breen where our goal kicker was looking to take the 3 points fifteen metres from the sideline nearest the change rooms. Whilst he was concentrating, a group of Stannies students were hurling slurs at our kicker who had Lebansese heritage. I was closest to them and told them to shut up. What I found most disturbing was that their was a Stannies teacher next to them, who, upon being alerted by my call, told them to return to the stands. He was standing there the whole time and did nothing earlier. Go figure.

I too recall a few physical 'run-ins' about our schools, putting it politely, " socio-economic status", against some of the Joeys, Knox and View boys. But that isn't a topic for this thread, nor any other thread on this website.

Although, I think the chat about stannies should end here, however. We've had enough discussions including the one about Gregs, and while they were given their dues i don't think the hostility shown towards some of the lower city schools like ours will end anytime soon. Shining a negative light on it doesn't help anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.