• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Didn't Augies also give Waverley a serious sort of touch up in an early trial?

Waves rugby of late seems to be not as strong as in previous years. I think they only had 3 boys in the Opens CAS team and only 1 in the CAS Under 16s.

J

Justin Macline

Score was about 38 - nil. 6 tries, 4 conversions or thereabouts. Forwards were very dominant - one of the tries was a brilliant 20 m rolling maul - pretty to watch!
Waverly very disjointed in both attack & defence - not sure how many of their regular 1st XV players were on the park but if it was two thirds or more of their 1s they shouldn't be troubling too many sides in the remaining CAS matches.

I can't agree more that Oakhill's forwards were dominant and they played the smarter game using their size to maul the smaller Waverley pack and they deserved the win the got. However there were only 3-4 1st XV players on for Waverley with the 2nds and 3rds making up other positions which could explain why they were beaten soundly

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Appears as if it was not much more than a hard opposed training session for Oakhill, and therefore not a realistic indicator of performance for comparative purposes.

Surprised that Waves seemed to take this game a little casually.

Has the wheels fallen off the Waverley rugby wagon?

J

Justin Macline

Appears as if it was not much more than a hard opposed training session for Oakhill, and therefore not a realistic indicator of performance for comparative purposes.

Surprised that Waves seemed to take this game a little casually.

Has the wheels fallen off the Waverley rugby wagon?

It probably appears that way as a hard opposed session that got aggressive at some stages. I'm unsure of how well Oakhill has played in other games but they definitely displayed the talent they have against Waverley and should do well in their seasons games. I too am surprised with the approach Waverley took using only a small number of 1sts players. Seeing as they are coming 3rd they should be taking these games serious in order to work on their problems in time for the remaining CAS games. However, yesterday may have been a case of giving 2nds and 3rds Year 12 players one run in the 1sts. From what i heard Waverley wasn't without yesterday having a representative prop, hooker and centres playing, players with experience in the 1sts and a state-level sprinter on the wing so i believe they couldve done much better. This shouldn't detract from the great performance that Oakhill put on yesterday, particularly the forwards.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
OK, the question will be settled this Saturday. Oakhill V St Augustines. What was the question again?

Will this match will be played at Oakhill?

If it is, how is the cricket pitch section of the main oval looking? IIRC drainage is not the best, and this area can get quite sticky for the more fleet of foot.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Will this match will be played at Oakhill?

If it is, how is the cricket pitch section of the main oval looking? IIRC drainage is not the best, and this area can get quite sticky for the more fleet of foot.
Hi Jarse
This round of matches is being played at Oakhill. It is the school's annual gala day so will be plenty going on with a big crowd in attendance - will be a great atmosphere for the 1st XV fixture.

The main pitch at Oakhill has had a fair bit of work done in the past couple of years. A comprehensive drainage system was installed 2 years ago and it now drains exceptionally well. The cricket pitch square was shaved and laser levelled earlier this year. This area obviously still tends to get heavy after rain but it has good grass cover and the groundstaff do a good job of covering the square before home matches. Subject to the amount of rain we get this week (hopefully none) I can't see the playing surface inhibiting the quality of play.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Hi Jarse
This round of matches is being played at Oakhill. It is the school's annual gala day so will be plenty going on with a big crowd in attendance - will be a great atmosphere for the 1st XV fixture.

The main pitch at Oakhill has had a fair bit of work done in the past couple of years. A comprehensive drainage system was installed 2 years ago and it now drains exceptionally well. The cricket pitch square was shaved and laser levelled earlier this year. This area obviously still tends to get heavy after rain but it has good grass cover and the groundstaff do a good job of covering the square before home matches. Subject to the amount of rain we get this week (hopefully none) I can't see the playing surface inhibiting the quality of play.

So based on results to date and ISA selections, Auggies as favourites?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Short of beating Trinity and Cranbrook, Oakhill are nearly the undefeated Premiers of CAS.
ISA I's were cleaned up by CAS combined. ISA I's were mostly Augies boys.

Tough gig working out who the favourites will be, but hard to go past Augies.

If it is a dry track, as it appears it will be, then Augies speed will be hard to counter.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'll be watching Parra v Randwick (Sosene Anesi v Drew Mitchell) but will have a mate updating the scores. Oakhill's Facebook page usually has video up soon after the game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see the draw on the ISA page of the NSW Schools RU Web site is still the 2011 draw.
The ISA web page is not much help either.

I think they are this weekends games (based on School Rugby Tribune): http://schoolstribune.com/index367.htm

Oakhill Vs St Augustine’s
St Pius Vs St Greg’s
Kinross Vs St Patrick’s
St Stanislaus Vs St Andrews

Any tips?

You would think that we could get accurate information from ISA and/or NSW Schools RU web sites.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
I see the draw on the ISA page of the NSW Schools RU Web site is still the 2011 draw.
The ISA web page is not much help either.

I think they are this weekends games (based on School Rugby Tribune): http://schoolstribune.com/index367.htm

Oakhill Vs St Augustine’s
St Pius Vs St Greg’s
Kinross Vs St Patrick’s
St Stanislaus Vs St Andrews

Any tips?

You would think that we could get accurate information from ISA and/or NSW Schools RU web sites.

My tips are:
  • Oakhill by 5 in a real old fashioned high scoring fiesta of running rugby
  • Pius, Gregs don't travel well
  • Kinross, have you ever seen Orange referees?
  • Stannies, their refs have cousins in Orange

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Ryan, I can't see your guys wanting to play that sort of game.I would have thought they see their advantage in the set pieces.
I expect them trying to play a stop start game and frustrate the Augs boys.
If they do that I would expect they will win.
Good to know about the video on Facebook, as I am on netball duty tomorrow.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
My tips are:
  • Oakhill by 5 in a real old fashioned high scoring fiesta of running rugby
  • Pius, Gregs don't travel well
  • Kinross, have you ever seen Orange referees?
  • Stannies, their refs have cousins in Orange
you dont think the gene pool has crossed the Great Divide?

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Well done Oakhill 1sXV. Congratulations to the team, coaching staff & all the backroom staff from the physio to the hydration officer !! :)

Blindside63

Stan Wickham (3)
Oakhill 32 defeated Augies 21. The score flatters Augies a little due to 2 late tries. Oakhill had it all wrapped up at 32 - 7 midway through the second half.
I would be interested to know if Augies were at full strength. Oakhill No 4 hammered them and it would be difficult to see how any of the Augies pack today could have beaten him for an ISA first XV jersey.
Good entertaining game with plenty of feeling and a yellow card for each team in the first half. Augies also hampered by injuries to one of the props in the first half and No 9 in the second.
Overall a very dominating performance by Oakhill.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Glad to see ISA 2nd's got up against ISA 1sts today. Questions will be asked re: ISA selections now in future surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.