• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It would be stupifying to think that the same Oakhill boys who gave Augustines (with Dombkins, Purcell and Conlon) a real fright last year as year 11's and played ISA 1's and 2's will be overlooked for players who were running around in the 16's or losing 2nd's team at the same time.
let's not rewrite history, a real fright actually means 6 tries to 2. Oakhill were not even the 2nd best team in ISA last year,as Kinross were superior to them.
There seems to be a lot of posters saying it's not about the Schools and then making their post all about the Schools!
At the trial the boys are seperated into their Schools and trial together, all the Oakhill boys trialled together as well.
You can't complain that it is a disadvantage to trial amongst Oakhill kids, and then claim that more Oakhill kids should be selected!
Given the closeness of the trial, cynically I think that means either the 1's are in for a hard time or the 2's will be very successful.

J

JC Rugby101

St Augustines 45 - 0 Scotts College
St Augustines are miles ahead of remaining ISA teams who will be fighting for 2nd again. In fact they would rate as best in state. Been told a team of 2nd and 1st XV st pats players beat Grammar 1st XV 6 tries to nil. Think Grammar are in for a very long season.

U

upthewallabies

Got down and had a look at the pats v grammar game. Pats had a combined 2nds and 1st team with several injuries in the 1s forcing 2nd and some 3rd grade players into the lineup. Pats looked very dominant with strong performances from no.2, 4, 7, 9, 12 and 13. the score was 6 or 7 tries to nil but were unsuccessful with goal kicks.

F

Footy

The Big Winger Taylor from Augustine's played all over his opposing Winger This Winger from Scots was supposed to make the NSW Side. Good Luck...!

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
let's not rewrite history, a real fright actually means 6 tries to 2. Oakhill were not even the 2nd best team in ISA last year,as Kinross were superior to them.
There seems to be a lot of posters saying it's not about the Schools and then making their post all about the Schools!
At the trial the boys are seperated into their Schools and trial together, all the Oakhill boys trialled together as well.
You can't complain that it is a disadvantage to trial amongst Oakhill kids, and then claim that more Oakhill kids should be selected!
Given the closeness of the trial, cynically I think that means either the 1's are in for a hard time or the 2's will be very successful.

ILTW,
I don't know about history being rewritten but I think it was a fair call in the context of his point. Oakhill had a kick to lead that match which at the time was in the balance and then Augustines to their credit played an exemplary last quarter to limit Oakhill to 2 possessions and score 3 tries. I spoke with a couple of officials after the game and they confirmed it had been a close call and were relieved to win. Records will show an unflattering loss to us but the final score line doesn't always tell the full story.

As to tuesday my understanding is the Oakhill boys were together but not on the park at the same time as a team and fact that the No7 got all of 10 minutes with a single Oakhill forward on the same team all day. No one is denying that Augustines deserve to have a majority share of selections only that the team can be improved with the addition of a couple of players to which I think you agreed in principle with in an earlier reply.

It appears the Augustines juggernaught keeps rolling on with your spectacular victory over Scots today while we were unable to hit the targets we had set for ourselves and Joeys had a deserved win. This leaves us with a good knowledge of where we need to improve if as a team we are going to challenge your title.

Your rating of the afternoon tea was comendable.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Who knows which Oakhill / Stannies / St Pats players are going into the Augustines side to make up the 1st XV. Seems like St Pats are performing really well according to those reports of their combined grades, maybe with rep ISA injuries,selectors will include Pats standouts.
How are both ISA teams best prepared for GPS and dominate in NSW jerseys ?
Get serious, make sure ISA win maximum No of Australian jerseys, discuss what's possible, stand up if you really think we can achieve our best by doing the same old same old ? Most are willing of hard yards and putting their hand in their pocket. If these are useless, that's fine, supply alternatives, to extend our players further to international level, nothing less is acceptable. Put it beyond the GPS reach, make it work.
Arrange games for ISA representatives to develop against top NZ teams. NZ under 17 development squad, Kelston Boys, Hamilton Boys, St Kent's, St Bede's, Napier Boys, Wesley College, St Johns.
Only a few or a couple of days are needed over there, that causes minimum disruption, cost, with opportunity for engagement with the best and closest overseas. Some players may not travel, selectors are not interested in them anyway.
Selectors favour internationally successful experience over home grown hopefuls.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
As to tuesday my understanding is the Oakhill boys were together but not on the park at the same time as a team and fact that the No7 got all of 10 minutes with a single Oakhill forward on the same team all day. No one is denying that Augustines deserve to have a majority share of selections only that the team can be improved with the addition of a couple of players to which I think you agreed in principle with in an earlier reply.
Absolutely I agree, I just gag at the thought that it is stupifying to leave many of the kids out. There were literally less than a handful that warrant automatic selection in the 1's.
The problem I have with the side, is that the positions where I perceive Augs need strengthening are positions where it appears that the Augs player has been selected.Anyway it is done now, let's see how they go in June.
Any idea on how the younger sides performed at Joey's

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Some excellent discussion amongst everyone here for sure. Well regardless of any team make up, don't forget that this is a squad only. These are not my words and the order of players was as submitted on the forms from the school. In te case of Augfies having a significant amoun of triallists they were submitted in school squad order as well. I am informed that their team is yet to be finalized

Each player will have an opportunity to display their capabilities in the first few sessions and teams whilst pensioner in are not locked in a yet so no great reason to get too stressed about whether te player you support gets in... It will be up to them to prove selection from here.

The trials continue for one more week then its down to the real business of rugby rather than selections. For my money despite Oakhill not losing s game in this year age group, Augustines are very disciplined and structured, something that I believe has been lacking in their trials to date. So for me Augustines, Oakhill, St Pats .. I am going to say that I think Gregs may be a show along with Kinross to upset s few this year.. Kinross at home ..hard to beat do whatever reasons and if Gregs get structure I beleiv they can br dangerous ..

As for the rep teams .. Go for it boys .. Work hard, play hard and while nepotism exists everywhere in work and sport, remember this is school rugby ... It is a pathway to what you want to achieve... There are not many school superstars that take the next step and sometimes it is the guy who is playing in the 2's that works harder and goes the next step ... So forget 1's and 2's for now and keep your wyes on your personal prize ..

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Absolutely I agree, I just gag at the thought that it is stupifying to leave many of the kids out. There were literally less than a handful that warrant automatic selection in the 1's.
The problem I have with the side, is that the positions where I perceive Augs need strengthening are positions where it appears that the Augs player has been selected.Anyway it is done now, let's see how they go in June.
Any idea on how the younger sides performed at Joey's

Watch,

You say 4, I say 5 thats an opinion we are both entitled to hold. What pisses me off is that they can't get it right each year in a competition where there is not the concentration of talent across most teams, such as the GPS. Had they just let Papahatzis and Wisemantel sought it out the balance probably wouldn't have changed but the correct players would be in 1st's including any from other schools as any coach takes note of players they would see worthy of a place their side. I feel for the boys who show the talent over a couple of years who get fu;cked over by 25 minute trials and incompetent selections.

With regard to who'll have the easier task ahead I can only guess at what CHS will have but playing CAS 1's will be a dawdle compared with GPS II's on exposed form.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No 9, I made an assumption based on how the names were listed in the squad announcement. Heally in the post above yours says that my assumption had no basis.
But it sounds like you know the makeup of the two sides, want to list them?

I think you are right about CAS, hard to see them dominating games on what we have seen so far

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
ILTW - Unfortunately there are only a few people who have an idea of the make up of the sides.. and they are not going to post them here. I do not work on assumptions as you will know these are often proven incorrect. What I do know is that a squad was named and that is not an assumption, it is from asking those who make the decisions.
I also know that there is interest in other players.. not just Augustines. I will here say that I do not have any children attending any schools and I am not even from NSW originally, however I am involved with rugby identifying and recopmmending potential and have noted some exceptional players from ISA missing out because of either poor selection policy or a GPS/CAS biased. This is, in my opinion only, not ideal for rugby.

I will however pose another question here more as something to think about with selections.. why choose a player committed to Rugby League (eg Toyota Cup - of which there are a few at some schools) over a player from Joeys, Barker, Knox etc for example who only plays rugby? It does not make sense to choose and develop these players involved in league no matter how good they may be as they are not going to give value to the future of the game following school....

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I also know that there is interest in other players.. not just Augustines. I will here say that I do not have any children attending any schools and I am not even from NSW originally, however I am involved with rugby identifying and recopmmending potential and have noted some exceptional players from ISA missing out because of either poor selection policy or a GPS/CAS biased. This is, in my opinion only, not ideal for rugby.

I will however pose another question here more as something to think about with selections.. why choose a player committed to Rugby League (eg Toyota Cup - of which there are a few at some schools) over a player from Joeys, Barker, Knox etc for example who only plays rugby? It does not make sense to choose and develop these players involved in league no matter how good they may be as they are not going to give value to the future of the game following school....
You obviously misunderstand my position, my posts have been responding to claims of unfairness in selections before the trial, and then before the teams were announced. I accept that the more non Augs players in the 1's then the stronger it will be, if selections are on merit.
I agree that players with League contracts should not be selected and developed by Rugby. all kids selected should sign a contract that they will play Rugby next year, if they can't give that commitment then don't select them.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rugby must develop rugby players, no league players at all except the ones who helped out their league school mates occassionally to play for their school. Any players on a league contract are not permitted to play Rugby by their league club so are in breach of their contract.
No 9 please state the exact format you would use for selection. As I pointed out earlier, if it is solely on current performance and recent performance, you would definitely have selected the wrong players out of last years NZ teams for the best players. You and others have said players do not change, that is rubbish, explain how the results happened in NZ if your selection process and assumption about player ability not changing is right, it cleary is not. My point is No9 you have a good argument but no selection process is perfect and players obviously develop and improve, or do you think that only happens in NZ and South Africa ? John Eals did not play top rep school rugby right through school, he has said to students, don't give up keep developing, lots of top schoolboys don't take it to the professional level.
An example: Liam Berry played rep ISA last year weighs 109 kg down from 120kg, he is really strong but I think has concentrated too much on heavy weights at some expense of speed, agility and stamina, and explosive strength. I did not see his name on the list, I don't know if he tried, but if a couple of top coaches get hold of him next year improve his scrummaging teach him to play both prop positions, pick up his speed to 40 meters in 5.8 seconds. He ripped holes in defence last year in colts Bulldogs Vs CSU grand final to score a try. Not many lads can do that the year they turn 17,two years younger than most players. Last years Australian prop from St Josephs was 100 kg and very mobile but nowhere near as strong.
Is there a chance for another St Pats kid to be selected if there is an injury ? Someone else in another forum said a St Pats center 13 was excellent in offence and defence, and that was the opposition saying he was good.

J

JC Rugby101

So my tip for year an obvious st aug undefeated and no opposition. Believe best in state. Who for second?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
So lets exclude league players. Then lets exclude schools like St Gregs that has league in the school. All very narrow minded. They are kids looking to play elite football

Status
Not open for further replies.