• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No one is saying exclude league players, just don't clog the pathway with people who have already made a decision not to pursue the Rugby pathway.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Most day boys at St Gregs play league, nearly little or no union, because they can play league through the holidays, boarders play union as they have to go home. James Luff, their last years union captain and a boarder played league on Thursday afternoon for the school, rugby on Saturday for the school, and rep games as well. He is an example of someone who was entitled to Rugby pathways,.
At my boys' school a player who has a committment to a league club, say Penrith Panthrers, they cannot therefore make the school and Rugby their 1st committment, so they play 2nds Rugby for their school.
Watch is correct, but needs to update his 1970's digital watch, haha.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ryan Davis (Orange High 2010) was signed and paid well with a Parramatta contract, his school played Union and league, he is an example of someone who should not be offered Union pathways.
An example of a school which last year had team cohesion but no really outstanding Union players was Mudgee High. They were the only school outside of Sydney in the Waratah Shield quarter final, and should have had some players in the country rep squad (and didn't)but nobody good enough or dedicated enough to Union to stand for N.S.W. Rugby, whereas the year before Muller (Mudgee) played for N.S.W. 1sts.
Some teams like St Augustines deserve the rep proportions they get, some have an outstanding few who deserve rep but their team struggles, and some just have team cohesion, want to play well for their school and make a good team.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
JC second in state or second in ISA ?. You reiterated my call for St Augustines to play top Qld, NZ and South African teams. I know some of you want to have ST Augustines and Oakhill play in a separate comp with the best GPS and CAS schools but GPS and CAS will never agree to that their old boys have too much money and they will do anything to stay on top, well appear to be on top. 46 ST Augustines players played NZ teams over the holidays, but they did not play any of the top teams I mentioned earlier. If you are to claim top global position you need to take them on, if they are so good why do they avoid those top teams ? Is it that Oakhill and St Augustines are not as good as they think they are ? Come on fellas don't let fear hold you back.
I agree JC ST Augustines are the best in the state, now lets take it to the Southern Hemisphere !

I

International Badboy

Would be interesting to see Joeys v Augustines. unfortunately not going to happen this year

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Are Joeys and ST Augustines in the Watatah Shield this year I have not looked at the draw yet ?

ISA Follower

Frank Nicholson (4)
Quoting from the Waratah Shield forum:
Canberra schools (4) are back in the Shield this season. No Eddies though! One from CAS, one from GPS and four from ISA.

For draw and first round fixtures, see... http://schoolstribune.com/canberra-schools-return-to-the-waratah-shield-p507-1.htm
www.schoolstribune.com

Unfortunately it seems none of the heavies from CAS or GPS are entering. The only entry from CAS is Knox Grammar and the only GPS school is Sydney Boys High (2nd Div GPS).

The Sports Highs are in and are usually strong (expecially Hills Sports, who have contested the last two finals - winning one). From the CHS, Mudgee High are a consistent performer, along with Sydney Northern Beaches Campuses - (who have the advantage of combining the resources of 4 or 5 High Schools).

From the ISA the usual suspects are there with Oakhill, Auggies and Kinross the main contenders (although Stannies have a great record in the past).

The credentials of the ACT teams entered are unknown to me.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
My predictions for the first rounds are:
St Augustine's over Sydney boys
Canberra Grammar over Homebush Boys
Farrer over Singleton High (should smash this)
Stannies over Burgmann College
Knox over Matraville High
Marist ACT over St Andrews
Kinross -Wollaroi over left overs
Oakhill over Daramalan
Hills Sports High to win the Sports High rounds and Mudgee High not as strong this year, will not make it to the Waratah Shield.
Sydney Northern Beaches Campuses to make it to the quarter final of the Waratah Shield but get knocked out in that round.
St Edmunds was invited to join but their new Headmaster did not want that school to go in that direction too far and wants it to be more academic, but they are still a strong Rugby school.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Quarter finals of Waratah Shield
St Augustines over Northern Beaches Secondary College
St Stanislaus over Sports High School #2
Hills Sports High over Knox Grammar
Oakhill over St Francis Xavier Hamilton/St Columbus High (probably the first option)
The Quarter finals of the Waratah Shield will be a real bonus for ISA with two certain wins possibly three. Bad time for CAS and GPS.
Lets encourage media coverage for these finals.
Unfortunately for ISA, Oakhill will have had to knock out Kinross-Wollaroi in round two.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
JC second in state or second in ISA ?. You reiterated my call for St Augustines to play top Qld, NZ and South African teams. I know some of you want to have ST Augustines and Oakhill play in a separate comp with the best GPS and CAS schools but GPS and CAS will never agree to that their old boys have too much money and they will do anything to stay on top, well appear to be on top. 46 ST Augustines players played NZ teams over the holidays, but they did not play any of the top teams I mentioned earlier. If you are to claim top global position you need to take them on, if they are so good why do they avoid those top teams ? Is it that Oakhill and St Augustines are not as good as they think they are ? Come on fellas don't let fear hold you back.
I agree JC ST Augustines are the best in the state, now lets take it to the Southern Hemisphere !

Did they not play Southland Boys and Christchurch Boys?

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
"Did they not play Southland Boys and Christchurch Boys?"
St Kent's statistically they were the best school in the country! 2011 Played: 22 Won: 20 Lost: 2 Average Score: 37-10
2001-2003: Christchurch Boys High School
From 2001-2003 Christchurch Boys High School won the first three Press Cups and an amazing 48 of their 49 games in the competition. However they failed to reach the Top Four throughout this period, as did the 1994 First XV which was also a very good team. They won 22 out of 25 games, including the Christchurch Under 18 and Secondary Schools competitions.
Nationwide Champions 2011
Super Eight Champions: Gisborne Boys High School
1A Auckland Champions: St Kentigern College
North Harbour Champions: Massey High School
Wellington Champions: Wellington College
Press Cup Champions: St Bede’s College
Highlanders Champions: Otago Boys High School
Unlucky Schools to Miss Top 4 In 2011
Sacred Heart College:record was 19 wins and just 2 defeats.
Gisborne Boys High School:Won the Super 8 for the first time in the school’s history and beat national champions Kelston
Otago Boys High School:Won the Highlanders competition for the first time, unbeaten
Palmerston North Boys High School: A high-scoring and talented team won 18 of their 20 games, beating every team in the Super 8 except Gisborne.
Top Four 2011
Kelston Boys,
Wesley College,
Napier Boys,
St Bede’s College

T

Thompson783

you've obviously been given the wrong information ...Auggies played both Christchurch boys and Southland boys and won both games convincingly

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
I've been given exactly the right information.
Neither of these teams are in any of the top 15 teams mentioned above, obviously Augustines has shown no metal whatsoever, by avoiding the current top NZ teams you can clearly see above. You claim they deserve more Australian rep players and I agree they do, then show their worth by taking on the teams that win these titles or at least teams who were unlucky to miss out. Play the top South African teams, here they are in order of rankings.
1​
Paarl Boys’ High School #Boishaai​
2​
Afrikaans Seunskool #Affies (Pta)​
3​
Grey High School (PE)​
4​
Paul Roos Gymnasium #PRG​
5​
Paarl Gimnasium​
6​
Grey College​
7​
Hoërskool Waterkloof #Klofies​
8​
Dale College​
9​
Hoërskool Noord-Kaap​
10​
Glenwood High School​
11​
Wynberg Boys’ High School​
12​
Michaelhouse Diocesan College #MHS​
13​
Maritzburg College​
14​
Outeniqua Hoërskool #Kwaggas​
15​
Hoërskool Garsfontein #Garsies​

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just what Australia needs, more players who never come up against the top overseas teams because their school did not have the metal it takes to take them on, but only takes on teams as you admit, that are no threat and they can win against convincingly. Bravo ! Augustines's players must be screaming out to challenge a team that is of some real worth. Stannies took on the Sanix Tournament, Knox Grammar has the fortitude to contest the Waratah Shield as do Stannies, both knowing they will take a heavy physical toll. Augustines is the best Australian team I have ever seen, where is their courage ? I have no doubt their players possess a ton of courage.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Auggies was supposed to play the Sanix last year but a certain earthquake finished that.

They play the Waratah Shield and see it as a mahor factor in thier rugby programme. They have played and still desire to play the best OZ schools teams. They play their sister school Villanova from Qld. I would like to see them play the best Qld schools but the timing f the two states schools program will not now allow this.

Last year they took on Keebra Park High school in a hybrid game - a very powerful rugby league school. I don't think Auggies lacks any courage in the game sthey paly.

They play the two NZ teams because they tour there every year and play these two teams (I think its 3 actually as they play someone in the North Island) as part of an arrangement with those schools. They wouldn't want to give up the built up relayionship with these schools just for the sake of stroking their ego.

Please don't have a go at the courage of the schools or the players or their desire to play who they play. Your suggestion for Australian teams to play some southern hemisphere championship is admirable but totally unrealistic as these are schools and the cost of such a tournament make such an improbability

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah I agree with ILMF, let's put it in perspective, we are talking about a School team. A good proportion of them are sitting the HSC this year, so they have other priorities besides Rugby.
they are not the Harlem Globetrotters.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Good comments guys, but Sanix is nowhere near where the earthquake, which is at the other end of the place, so please step up and go next year, show your strength. how can you call for more Australian reps and say they are busy doing HSC. If they are good enough for Australia, and I say they are, then playing a couple of top NZ teams here and in NZ means two 2 hour flights, put it down to work experience for their future jobs. Hardly globe trotting, but if you've only been to Queensland, yeah its another hour sitting in a plane, and I'm not sure if you get dinner.
Organise Kelston and their opposition (joint team) to fly over Saturday morning play a joint Augustines/ Oakhill team Saturday, then play a joint Augustines/ St Pats team Monday, fly home that afternoon. One afternoon school will hardly mean your students will fail the HSC, while the host teams pay for hostel accommodation at an east Sydney backpackers cost around $50 night per student for two nights, so each of your students pays $50. That's what it cost my team to stay therer to play rugby last year, I was with them. The travelling teams pay around $300 for a return flight.
Augustines and Oakhill have enough players to step up and play 1st that Saturday and the others can be reserves for their 1st that Saturday, after playing the NZ team. Every player from Augustines 1st and reserves gets an international game at top level. and the best half of Oakhill and St Pats do to. Selectors then have an easier choice, experienced top international ISA players or less experienced CAS GPS & CHS kids who may not cut the mustard.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
You know what's bizarre? This forum is totally dominated by adult males (I presume?) It's SCHOOLBOY rugby guys. Keep everything in perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.