• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No one is suggesting a total lockout for anyone who goes near league.
I think you will find that the suggestion is more like rugby should not be sending kids on free overseas trips with the schoolboy side if they have a contract to play league next year.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
I agree. What would you do to the sports highs? Should they not play Waratah shield?

It might seem a touch hard but professional sport is just that. How do you think sports highs came about in the first place. The kid (just like all of them) is a nice young fella doing the best for himself but this is a business where players are paid to commit and perform for their masters, even when still at school. Rugby is negligent in its duty to the game if it continues to allow anyone to milk the best of what it has to offer at the expense of others. Lost development opportunities for the replacement player only adds to the lack of player depth at higher levels when those who benefit most walk away to the other game at schools end. Maybe he's just playing Toyota cup for fun and there's no contracts involved, that would be refreshing and all power to him.

No business on the planet would wilfully pay for the development of a bright young future leader in the knowledge that he will be leaving to work for their opposition as soon as the training finishes. It's not the kid playing Toyota cup who's being denied anything here, his future appears confirmed. It's the other kid busting his hump to be as good as he can in a game he's committed to who gets overlooked for another who is likely to take the honours and then move out of the game. He's the one I have empathy for.

In regards to Waratah Shield the league schools (sports highs) can play all they like as it's not representing anything other than the school.

S

Scot Brown

Yes he is a great player does love the Hooker Role as well but just a bit small for it. A Fit Little Bugger for sure !!

S

Scot Brown

You will be surprised to hear that most Junior League Contracted players from S G Ball up to Toyota Cup are not on a lot of money and a lot who do play for Toyota Cup and NSW Cup Sides are on Nothing but a Dream to go all the Way into First Grade. The Manly Sea Eagles Toyota Cup Side have a lot players who are on No Contacts and are not being paid a Cent !! Only the Talented players that Manly feel that will go all the way get Contacts and get paid. Strength and Speed is everything !!

Bill McLean (32)
The salary cap for each clubs Toyota cup squad is $250k, so they do not earn huge bucks if they are in the original squad, even less if they are not in the original squad.

Pedro,

ILTW is 110% correct here! In fact for most NRL clubs the $250K budget has to also incorporate payments made to HMC and SG Ball players as well.

Generally only the marquee NYC players (the proper name for the Toyota Cup) attract the sums of money you are talking about, and such sums are usually over 2-3 seasons.

I know of a lot of NYC players that are contracted for approximately $5K or less for a season.

With respect contracts stating that a player cannot participate in any other football code, that is true in most cases! Nevertheless I personally know of two contracts where it is explicitly stated that the player is allowed to participate in rugby.

Without giving away names both of these lads have achieved high honours in both league and rugby, and currently play at the SG Ball level for their respective league teams.

Regards,

S

Scot Brown

Its all very well to say Rugby should not be sending kids on Free overseas Trips with the Schoolboy Side if they have a contract to play league next year.
Well as I have said before, What is Union doing for the kids ???? Sweet Nothing !! Union need to Provide a Positive Pathway to enable kids to pursue their Union Dreams, what are kids supposed to do just sit around and twinkle their toes, play their School Union and their Reps. and then when its all finished and they leave school, then what, whats next ???? Get Union to start pulling their finger out and start offering Contracts to these kids, who could be future Wallabies in the making, look after and Develop them so they have a Pathway to go to. A lot of kids who just love playing Union switch to league because they are the only ones offering Security , Pathway and a Contract. Union need to Stop Procrastinating and Whinging about all of this and do something for these kids as its not their fault, as all they want to do is just play !

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry Runner can you clarify your question for me! Old age is getting to me!

essentially agreeing with you.

The rest was a general question then of why have a major rugby competition like the Waratah shield into which sports highs which are often more league than union allowed to enter

S

Scot Brown

If a kid signs a contract before he turns 18, he will have to renew his Contract again as being Legal Age, as when it was signed before he turned 18 his Parents / Guardian had to sign most of it for him.

As far as players who sign with a league contract who are still at school and Compete in School Union Games plus School Representative games, this would NOT effect their Contract at all ( If its a League Contract, the Particular Club could try to Intimidate this, but they have not got a leg to stand on ) As long as they are not playing Club/ Park Football, as this is different. People who think otherwise do not have a Contract in front of them and are not being told the truth and are hearing just rumors. This can be argued in a Court of Law if need be. As kids are entitled at school to Play and Represent their School in any Representative Sport as it is part of the Schooling Curriculum and No One can Argue that. I am pretty sure that David Gallop who is the Australian sports administrator would not be happy if he heard of such Contracts of not letting these kids play School Union and Representative Selections !!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
This thread seems to have gone off on a tangent....
Here is a quote from a post from Newbie in the rep selections thread, and if correct makes it all academic......

As fate would have it the 'Australian Secondary Schools Rugby League Championship' ('ASSRL') is being held in Port Macquarie from 8-13 July where NSWCCC will be defending their title. Custom and practice connotes that both the NSWCHS and NSWCCC teams will go into camp in the week preceding the ASSRL Championship (NSWCCC actually go into camp on 4 July).

As it stands the Australian Schools Rugby Championship is being held from 2-8 July. I know this will not effect the GPS and CAS players vying for selection in the NSW school teams, however there are some talented 'DUAL CODIES' from the CHS and CCC system that have a chance of being selected. As such they will have to make an important election this year!

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hey Newbie only 100% in my exams 110% not possible haha. The teacher who said $50'000- $100,000 for contracts plays league but maybe he doesn't know. I will let him know what you guys said, Toyota may well be only what you said. Players I have taught were with Parramatta and Souths Sydney and I know one went to sprint lessons for weeks, the club paid for him and several others, cause they could talk about places and professional coaches I knew and know. This costs the club a lot of money, I know it was $44 an hour in January with one group of top professionals and that is in a group of four students not one on one. That academy took 3 seconds off one of my players 100m time in 3 weeks, but as you can see that costs a bit. Other students said he played one first grade Parramatta game last year and I know he was only 19.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
So, after causing a flurry of activity with my comment on Sunday re Fabian Natoli playing Toyota Cup it might be time to get us back on topic.......
Heard Oakhill got the chocolates today against Daramalan (ACT) in their 1st round Waratah Shield match. First round of the ISA comp coming up this Saturday - team lists and predictions anyone?

footy_sac

Frank Row (1)
St Augustine’s College went through the 2011 season undefeated, scoring 805 points over 16 games, whilst conceding 148 at an average score of around 50 to 9.

S

Scot Brown

I am glad your moving on from this... But I just want to say .. So What if he is playing Toyota Cup ? It probably won't be his last game either ! Good On The Kid ... So Fed Up With This Rubbish !!!
Sounds like Jealously and Sour Grapes !!
He is only a kid so enough said, I Object to this becoming a Personal Attack on him, No need for this. I am sure you would not like people in this forum writing Personal Stuff about your own Son.
And I am sure his Dad would not like hearing this as well.
This kid is entitled to play his League Reps and his Union Reps at school and most of the " Duel Codies" you will find who play Union are normally the Better Players anyway !
I am sure Union does not want to go down the Path of Discrimination for School Kids.
Its up to Union, to open their eyes and to be on Par with what League is doing, Its no good just Whinging here about it.
Actions Speak Louder Than Words .

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
OK ENOUGH.... If we do not stick to topic which is ISA Rugby 2012 then I will ask for the forum to be closed.... And no more last words guys ok....

Now how are the teams shaping up for this weekend.. any surprise selections and what are the tips for this weekends Round 1....

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
OK ENOUGH.... If we do not stick to topic which is ISA Rugby 2012 then I will ask for the forum to be closed.... And no more last words guys ok....

Now how are the teams shaping up for this weekend.. any surprise selections and what are the tips for this weekends Round 1....
Heally, I guess results will be fairly predictable. Maybe some scores will be closer than people expects. The one that interests me is Pius vs Stannies -- see if Stannies can get back on deck after a fairly ordinary trip overseas and pre-
season results. As Pedro said, there are a few players coming back from injuries, so be interesting to see what happens at Oxford Falls.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Heally, I guess results will be fairly predictable. Maybe some scores will be closer than people expects. The one that interests me is Pius vs Stannies -- see if Stannies can get back on deck after a fairly ordinary trip overseas and pre-
season results. As Pedro said, there are a few players coming back from injuries, so be interesting to see what happens at Oxford Falls.
Hey RT agree predictable and some maybe closer. Stannies get one more top player back this week and another one next, maybe more. How are Pius looking ? What's gong on at Kinross, they are shaping up well, did they trip somewhere last holidays ? Anyone know Pius lineup yet and no Oakhill and St Augustines lineup posted. Do ISA reps train next Saturday week (2nd), or play Saturday and train Sunday, some conflicting info out there but I think they train Saturday next week ?

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Scott Brown - if you are referring to me as moving on and being jealous and sour grapes - you've got it all wrong mate. I just posed the question - had nothing negative to say about the lad at all. I was interested to get the views of other forum members. I'm not going to cop allegations of launching a personal attack - you're way off the mark mate.

Pedro, my understanding is ISA reps play in the 2nd round on 2/6 and train at BMG on Sunday 3/6.

Status
Not open for further replies.